| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Neighbors spraying lawn
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:35 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My next door neighbors just sprayed their lawn. I think it is fertilizer, pesticides and herbicides. They have one of those white flags in their yard. Do I need to worry about the vegetables I have growing in my garden? Like for contamination? I also have neighbors behind us always spray poison on the grass in the back of their yard. (It is the grass on a hill that leads down into a creek). They usually do this at the beginning of summer. (I have no idea what they spray)

Post subject: Re: Neighbors spraying lawn
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:23 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

That's too bad. When I first started gardening, my neighbor used to broadcast fertilizer w/ a weedkiller (2,4, D) on his lawn and it drifted over - my garden bordered his lawn - and my veggies (both leaves and fruit) grew very distorted shapes. So it was obvious they were affected. 2,4, D is a growth regulator and it pretty much grows plants to death. When I told him what happened, he stopped using it.

I wouldn't worry too much if your veggies are a reasonable distance from his garden, and/or if you have a fence or hedge. But if you're comfortable approaching him, or know what garden service he uses, ask what they're spraying so you can check it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:49 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The lawn company is called Tru Green. Not sure what they use exactly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:44 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I've tried setting out containers of my urine, with uncertain results. Fencing or screening off plants/beds is the only other vegan alternative I know of. But maybe you'd get more advice if you posted in the rabbit thread rather than "neighbors spraying lawns" thread?? And if you have deer too, they like kale as much as rabbits do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

I think that is a spammer who stole the first post in the rabbit thread (which I really don't get the point of doing).