| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A fungus among us: natural fungus and mold control
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:16 am 
ol' garly cooch

Hey Y'all:

It's that time of year where fungus and mold can become a problem in the garden with those last few harvests. Here are some organic tips from The Garden Geek, E. Lestrange out of the most recent issue of The Indoor Gardener magazine:

1. Baking soda- Mix about 1/2 t. of baking soda and a few drops of dish soap-(as a wetting agent). many recipes also call for a t. of veg oil. Spray infected plants. NOTE: the baking soda leaves an alkaline residue on the leaves and needs to be washed off after wards.

2. Neem Oil- 1t. per liter of lukewarm water and spray every week or so depending on how strong your mix is. NOTE: neem can clog the stomata, so I would be inclined to use a little less than a t., but that's just me. Neem kills the mildew by choking it and collaspisng cell walls. NO is also good for insect control.

3. Sulphur- Follow ratios as suggested on package. Leave a rest of 7-14 days between sprays. NOTE: this is only effective if applied before symptoms can be seen. It is used as a preventative treatment.

4. Apple Cider Vinegar- 3T of AC vinegar with 1 gal. water. Spray in the a.m. for best results. AC vinegar is supposed to be able to treat mildew, leaf spot, and scab, but I've never actually tried it so I cannot speak for its effectiveness. Grow a test plant to use this combo on if you're curious.

5. Corn and Garlic Spray- Mix up corn leaves, clematis leaves, and the papery garlic skin in a blender and let ist soak for an hour. Then strain and spray. Part of the reason for garlic's effectiveness is its high sulphur content. Also good for spider mite control.

6. Horseradish- In a food processor, mix 1 cup of roots with 16 oz of water. Let it soak for 24 hours. Strain and spray. Horseradish has a large amount of Ca, Mg, and vitamin C. This also helps with those pesky deficiencies that contribute to blossom end rot.

7. Chamomile- Mix 2c. of boiling water with 1/4 c. chamo blossoms. Steep until cool, then strain and spray. This can also be used for that white fuzz that grows on the top of the soil if it stays too moist. Chamomile also contains Ca, potash, and sulphur which kicks fungus to the curb.

Post subject: Re: A fungus among us: natural fungus and mold control
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:54 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Cool tips! I had a little problem with some fungus on some taro roots I was trying to sprout this spring and I sprinkled cinnamon powder on them. Worked great!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:10 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Oh man. I wish had known this when both my basil and epazote got attacked by a mysterious fuzzy fungus.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:19 am 
ol' garly cooch

Well now we know! I'm so grateful for my nerdy magazines.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:32 pm 

Nooo, my new basil is being attacked by a different kind of fungus now!!
And it's dying : (
I'll try chamomile.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:08 am 
ol' garly cooch

Lettuce know how it works.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:28 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

andi_vert wrote:
I'll try chamomile.

If this has happened twice in a row, I'm wondering what you are using for seed starting mix. Have you ever thought about sterilizing it before using it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:40 am 

Tuiren wrote:
andi_vert wrote:
I'll try chamomile.

If this has happened twice in a row, I'm wondering what you are using for seed starting mix. Have you ever thought about sterilizing it before using it?

The first time, my mom got a little pot with soil that included a packet of seeds and the second time it was a full grown basil plant that we got at TJ's.

: (

I had never thought of that, but I think the cause here was overwatering...
The lady that helps my mom with the cleaning did this and I tried to save the plant by removing the fungi and trying the ACV method.
It worked, but she overwatered it again, the plant died, I got pissed off and I just want to buy another freaking plant and ask her to not water/touch it.

Guess the main problem here is the lack of communication u__u