| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:44 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

torque wrote:
[i don't know if gall is the right word- galls are those big gnarly tumors that trees get. oh my english she is soooooooo mangled and nutrient-deficient too.]
what i meant was it looked like the texture was almost like a scar where the red spots are- instead of the normal leaf shape/suspension it's kind of ripply and odd.

powdery mildew has been the bane of my existence with all of that family- i think it must be our particular weather pattern or something. i've heard all sorts of weird things but the best seems to be snip the affected leaves, when it gets bigger, snip off the leaves that are past their prime to encourage air flow.

And when you water, try not to get water on the leaves.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:24 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Galls can be on trees or just about any plant and on any plant part, including leaves. Many are caused by insects (often found inside the gall) or various diseases.

Back to chard - I do have cercospora in my garden, but no chard or beets at the moment. I looked around and found cercospora on Dock (a weedy beet/chard relative) though. It had spots that had coalesced into blotches like on Tofulish's picture - so maybe Tofulish caught it before it had progressed to the fungal "fruiting" stage?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:24 pm 
Inflexitarian

The green beans which were partially eaten by slugs seem to be recovering! Additionally, the new beans I planted because I thought the old ones were all going to die have sprouted. So, I may end up being up to my asparagus in beans, which is fine by me :) The zucchini/maybe plant which was partially eaten is also recovering and even has new growth. Miracles!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:32 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Oh, Tea, I meant to mention earlier, your soil looks really hard-packed and dry, I bet there is a lot of water run-off, that it takes a while before it actually starts absorbing any water when you water. I think you should invest in a good inch or two of mulch on top of the soil. It will start conditioning the soil and it will become healthier, and water will be absorbed in a healthier way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:15 am 
Married to the wolfman

Tea wrote:
The green beans which were partially eaten by slugs seem to be recovering! Additionally, the new beans I planted because I thought the old ones were all going to die have sprouted. So, I may end up being up to my asparagus in beans, which is fine by me :) The zucchini/maybe plant which was partially eaten is also recovering and even has new growth. Miracles!

Ha ha ha. This is exactly what happened with my green beans. They're now a massive wall of plants and I can't even tell which ones were the slug-ravaged ones anymore, except I think they're the ones that are fruiting first.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:05 am 
Inflexitarian

Mars wrote:
Oh, Tea, I meant to mention earlier, your soil looks really hard-packed and dry, I bet there is a lot of water run-off, that it takes a while before it actually starts absorbing any water when you water. I think you should invest in a good inch or two of mulch on top of the soil. It will start conditioning the soil and it will become healthier, and water will be absorbed in a healthier way.

I hadn't noticed! It's been raining pretty frequently so the soils been staying moist and I haven't had to water at all in a couple of weeks.

I -have- noticed that on particularly rainy days (such as today...) I get some pooling happening, which isn't good. Would mulch help with that? My impression was that mulch kept the soil underneath cooler and helped it hold onto moisture longer, and it sounds like on a rainy day like today I need the opposite.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:34 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

mulch is good for when it rains too. it'll keep the soil from splashing back up onto the plants. (keeping them clean, so they photosynthesize better, and also, the soil might have a fungus in it.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:41 am 

Yeah, and it generally will help to start conditioning the soil underneath, so with time the soil will become looser and less compact, which would be better for drainage! (though that might take a while, but still, even in the immediate, no it won't make drainage worse ever)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:50 pm 
Semen Strong

So, I have a few questions. First - what is going on with my chard - is it getting crowded out by the zukes and is it salvegeable? And second - name that plant (aka am I growing a weed?)?

1. My chard: I think I planted it too close to the zucchini and now the bottom leaves are going dry and transparent, and although the gall isn't bad there is a little of it in evidence. Can I save it?

2. Name that Plant! I have been aggressive weeding, but some of these suckers look like they might be plants I'd want to keep.

a. Image

b. I thought this was spinach at first, but no...

c. Image

Thanks in advance for any help! I planted a lot of seeds, but don't exactly know what went in there, and I tended to weed things before their time, so I lost a fair number of my plantlets!

Also, is there a good resource for looking up plants that is userfriendly for n00bs like me? I just think of everything as being green and planty.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:09 pm 

Tofulish, id'ing from pictures is kinda hard, so I may embarrass myself.

Your chard looks like it has leaf miners - larvae from a fly that specializes in all Chenopodiaceae (beets, chard, spinach, dock, etc.) Hold a slightly damaged leaf up to the light and if I'm right you will see black scat they're leaving behind, and maybe even the maggots themselves. Leaf miners eat the flesh between the upper & lower epidermis; eventually affected leaves will dry up, like I am seeing at the base of the plant. You may see little white eggs on the undersides of leaves, and if you check daily you can rub them off before they hatch. And yes, zukes take a lot of space and will out-compete your chard.

I'm seeing the same damage on your picture "b," which looks like spinach that has bolted to me, although there may be a weed mixed in there too.

C - looks like a weed to me, especially the way smaller ones are coming out around the bigger stem, and especially if the leaves are pretty tender. But the big one's leaves do sort of resemble pepper leaves, which would be a lot stiffer/tougher.

A - hard to tell from the angle; I have a weed a little like that which is a chrysanthemum relative. But it looks a lot like tomato foliage too! Break off a bit and crush, then see what it smells like. Tomato foliage has an intensely strong, grassy smell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you SO much!

I might just get rid of the chard then. At least the leaf miners haven't touched my kale and I'd like to prevent that from happening.

And I guess now that the spinach has bolted, that is that for the particular plant.

And I'll pull up that leafy weed in C - good spotting - yes there are little leafy shoots coming up off the main plant.

And finally, I'll test that tomatoey looking fellow!

I really really really appreciate the feedback. I am such a n00b, and this would be so overwhelming without getting advice from you guys!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:06 pm 

A and C look like weeds to me as well, B is definitely bolting spinach yes, but I'd recommend leaving it and letting it go to seed, that way it might come up again from it's seed and maybe it'll be better timing with watering etc that it won't bolt next time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:43 pm 

If you cut back the spinach, it will send up new shoots that you can eat, but they will immediately bolt too. So if you have something else to replace it with, do just pull it up. Although leaf miners are hard to control with any organic pesticides, some people cover crops with Reemay fabric to exclude them. I tend not to plant any of those crops early - like I plant my beets in early-mid July for fall/winter harvest, and that way I avoid the initial, heaviest hatching of miners. I've quit planting regular spinach and instead plant New Zealand spinach and even quinoa for greens; they both get leaf miners too, but with minimal damage.

Re kale - the leaf miners will not affect that, or lettuce or any other plant outside of the beet/spinach/chard tribe, so don't worry about it. Kale is related to collards, cabbage, broccoli, bok choy, mustard greens - and even arugula!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:44 am 
Inflexitarian

My squash has started spreading out. Because of how densely packed I planted everything, I'm trying to gently guide vines outwards and away from their neighbours by putting down small stakes. We'll see how well it works! Might try some twine; I was planning to guide the beans up twine, but the beans I thought were pole beans are looking more and more like they're actually bush beans. (the seed packet gave absolutely no comment on which type of bean they are, so I made some guesses)

My chard is basically gone; the leaves started looking like tofulishes, and then a few days later there weren't leaves anymore. On the bright side, that gives a place for the squash to expand to!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:13 am 
Inflexitarian

I stumbled upon this idea: http://shtfblog.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 8-Copy.jpg A sort of chicken wire bridge for a squash vine to pass over something else. The great big vacant spot where the chard used to be is on the other side of the rutabaga, so maybe I could build a super basic trellis like that to guide it over the other plants instead of vainly trying to guide it around...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:19 pm 
Semen Strong

Tea that looks great!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:24 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've got callaloo coming out of my ying yang!. That stuff grows really fast. It's an amaranth I discovered. I cooked up a pail full last night. I'll have all these bare spots in my beds and threw in some turnip seeds this morning since it was raining, taking advantage of the moisture. And it is only raining because I watered last night, everything was so dry.

Is it too late to sow seeds for dry beans? I'd love to get some heirloom bushbeans for dry beans. What else can be sown this time of year? It's pretty darn hot here.

The caterpillars are eating all my collard leafs. Something is also eating the new shoots coming out of the centre. Same caterpillar? They are the exact same green as the leafs and are hard to spot. Luckily they haven't discovered the kale yet!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:51 pm 
Inflexitarian

Tofulish wrote:
Tea that looks great!

To clarify, that picture isn't mine! I just found the idea and kind of want to try it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i just have to say, i have grown beeeeeautiful womboks <3 <3 <3 i can't believe it, they look just like out of the shops but are tasty and organic! and virtually free! i am so happy with my garden atm... beautiful broccoli, the cauli and brussels are coming on, snow peas, strawberries, kale,cabbage, and surprisingly ZUCCHINI (wut? i thought they were a summer plant???) so great. one of my pineapples is even starting to flower!

in other news, even though it is the dead of winter here, i planted a whole stack of seedlings on the weekend-lettuce, celery, parsley, more womboks and more broccoli, and the very next day we got frost. i feel silly, but i think even though they all froze, they're actually going to survive!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:40 am 

covering my grass with newspaper and then topsoil is more time consuming than i was expecting. (especially when it's rainy season, so getting a chance to go out there for the day is iffy.) anyway, last week i did a huge patch and i didn't want to waste any more time with my zucchinis in the pots, so i stupidly emptied the bags of topsoil, mixed in the compost and minerals and then instead of watering thoroughly and coming back once it's less mucky, i put them in the dry soil and then watered them. (it didn't seem that dry.) i guess the hill is more hilly than it looks, because it seems the water just never had a chance to soak in. my zucchinis all died. :-( ((((((((( they were all starting to flower too. it was compunded by going away for the weekend, and leaving a note for the dogsitter that wasn't explicit enough. i don't think she watered them all weekend.

pulling the colored ink pages out of the newspaper is also an unexpected waste of my time too. (and then the time it takes to collect all those newspapers. bleh. next year will be better. i'll be able to plant the garden as soon as i can.)

the side garden with the grapes and the butternuts and pumpkins is looking good though. i just was really looking forward to those zucchinis.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:55 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Some jerk animal walked off with a branch of my tomato plant that had four giant green tomatoes on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:37 am 
Bathes in Braggs

boo to the jerk animal!!!! i had a really cute hare terrorising my garden a few months back. but it was *soooo* CUTE. i just watched him wreck stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:23 am 

ALL THIS DARN RAIN IS MAKING MY SQUASHES CHLOROTIC! no end in sight *sob*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:54 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Is it normal for pepper plants to lose some buds and flowers in heat? We've been having a 90+ degree heat wave for the last 3 days. The first day, my pepper got super wilty so I moved it to a shadier spot and made sure to check its soil moisture twice a day. However, it has dropped about 10 flowers and small buds, and one small pepper. Should I be worried? It's still green and has lots of other proto-peppers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:02 pm 

A less likely cause could be lack of pollination, but lots of plants will drop flowers and small fruit during hot spells, and if your pepper is in a pot it is heating up more than if it were in the ground. It's also perfectly natural for plants to wilt during the middle of the day in hot weather; even if the soil is soaking wet they just can't take water up fast enough.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 35  Next