| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 941 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:51 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Super cute.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:06 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

that is such a good idea!! I planted them in lines, so I could actually rig up a support fence pretty easily, for some reason once it grew into a jumble i totally forgot about that option.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just caught a Goldfinch nomming on my volunteer sunflower plant leaves! Apparently this is pretty common, especially in california. It's so cute!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

yay! my plum trees are finally flowering... but... they're right next to the porch door. i found a little bee on the porch, so i moved her out to the tree. she seemed really tired, but at least she climbed onto and off the spoon on her own. she looked like a bumbler, but was only the size of my thumbnail.

i also pruned my grapevine too late. (oops!) hopefully it didn't die. it was leaking a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Would anyone be interested in doing a seed exchange?

I don't have much right now except for loads of California lupine, nasturtiums, and geraniums. I hope to harvest some other native seeds from my garden soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm off to buy my first pair of gardening gloves!! (which I haven't worn since my gradeschool handbell choir, a lifetime ago!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:00 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

just say no to boss and yes to atlas if you can find them. (they're the best! i order them by the dozen on amazon.)

p.s. i have learned that i need to do a trimming of the roman chamomile in mid-spring, or else extremely unsightly floppage occurs. oops!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:07 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Just discovered a pretty patch of buttercups growing in my back garden :) Thanks, birds!

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Today I planted: 2 types of pumpkin, butternut squash, japanese eggplant and cauliflower (from seed) and early girl tomatoes and sweet thai basil (from starts). That's gonna be it until lettuce time is over.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:43 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

After some intense online research, I have placed an order for a giant white bird of paradise! I'm really surprised, it's only $17.50 and I'll be picking it up within a couple of weeks.

It will take many years to spite-grow the lovely shrubbery tall enough to block my neighbor's un-permitted balcony, which pretty much turns my backyard into a fishbowl, but it's worth it!

ETA:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:54 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

i'm ordering nematodes. flies are devouring my plums. :-( (and the ones that the flies haven't gotten to appear to possibly be host to plum curculios. (there's a neighbor 2 blocks away that leaves their pears to rot on their lawn, which i'm sure is the source of the adults that made their way to my tree) well, now that i know this is a problem, i can work on it. (and maybe i'll stealth apply some nematodes to the neighbor's lawn.)

i'm going to also put the nematodes in the compost pile so they can congregate in the dog poos.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

aphids!! aaaaah! They were the absolute death of our garden late last summer and now they're all up in our dino kale. I've looked back through this thread and found people mentioning a soap solution, which we tried last year but maybe it was too late? Thinking about ordering ladybugs too. Anyone else had any luck with getting rid of those nasty white things?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:57 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

i have absolutely no aphids anywhere this year (i lie, i saw them on only a few of my kale seedheads, but that's it.) i have a bunch of companion plants all around, so they must be encouraging predators.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:41 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I happen to have my recipe right here, best aphid thing ever:

press 3-4 cloves garlic
mix that with 2 t oil (any oil is fine, i think i used the cheapie soy)
let sit 24 hours
strain
add 1 pint water and 1 t dish soap

then take 2T of this final product and dilute in 2 cups of water to spray. Shake the hell out of everything, obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have an awful, awful invasion of greenhouse whiteflies in my, obviously, greenhouse. As the place is adjacent to my living room I'd rather not practice biological control since that would mean introducing wasps. Do you know if they survive in the earth, or only on leaves? ie. if it comes to the atomic solution of chucking all the leafy plants, do I also have to get rid of my painstakingly amassed dirt & containers?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got my loan through yesterday so I can finally get around to getting french drains in my water logged garden and paving. It will make renting out my house soon much easier.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:35 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

This year I put a net covering on top of the cabbages right after I placed them in their final spot, hoping to keep out the bugs. Yesterday I had a closer look and the mustards had somehow managed to get under or through the net and the leaves had been already munched on. I removed two of the big fat green caterpillars and I found several tiny black and yellow caterpillars and a bunch of white aphids. Grrrrr! I don't know what to do to keep them out anymore.
For now I removed the net and washed the leaves with a strong water jet, and tonight I'll spray them all with a garlic infusion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:22 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I find the garlic stuff is great on aphids, but didn`t get good results with caterpillars.

The only thing I have found so far that works on caterpillars is bacterial control. I put it on infrequently, but it is the only thing that really has noticeable results. (we have stinging caterpillars here, so manual control is not something I am willing to risk).

BUT, this year I haven't had to use it at all, I'm not sure if it is because planting marigolds interspersed with the cabbages helped, or because I have managed to attract so many birds to the yard (who enjoy eating the caterpillars). My passionfruit vines are the biggest caterpillar targets, and now that they are big enough that they have leaves to spare, I let the caterpillars do their thing (and I have crazy bird traffic as a result).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:41 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Ah, marigolds! I planted them in between every vegetable, except the cabbages! I guess it's time to change this. Luckily I have three pots full of little marigolds that would love nothing better than a larger room to grow.
And I put the two green caterpillars where I know the resident sparrow will find them, so I hope he'll be attracted enough to come and pick more!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:15 am 
Saggy Butt

aelle wrote:
I have an awful, awful invasion of greenhouse whiteflies in my, obviously, greenhouse. As the place is adjacent to my living room I'd rather not practice biological control since that would mean introducing wasps. Do you know if they survive in the earth, or only on leaves? ie. if it comes to the atomic solution of chucking all the leafy plants, do I also have to get rid of my painstakingly amassed dirt & containers?

The wasps that parasitise whitefly are tiny and don't sting, you'd hardly notice them! Yes the whitefly will only survive on leaves but you'd have to have the greenhouse empty for a couple of weeks to make sure, and there's no guarantee new ones won't find their way back in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:47 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

this website has a list of plants that attract beneficials. for minute pirate bugs, they suggest
http://www.farmerfred.com/plants_that_a ... enefi.html

Carum Carvi Caraway

Cosmos bipinnatus Cosmos - white sensation

Foeniculum vulgare Fennel

Medicago sativa Alfalfa

Mentha spicata Spearmint

Solidago virgaurea Peter Pan goldenrod

Tagetes tenuifolia Marigold - lemon gem

i'd think spearmint and marigold would really be the only realistic option for a greenhouse.

oh. also, do you have yellow sticky cards? that can help a little.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:34 am 
Saggy Butt

Whitefly forking love yellow.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:02 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Lovely garden people, can anyone tell me about asparagus? I grew it from seed and it is time to transplant.
I have limited space to dedicate. One option is a bed that is sandy and has a lot of small rocks, but great drainage and it is pretty much just a waster bed. I could add a whole lot more sand and some compost.
Option two is a bed that is already partially infested with mint and is about a square meter. Also small rocks but I am trying to improve it when I have the time.
Third option is to build some kind of box to keep it restrained and have it not compete with the other beds (my garden is all enclosed beds). How big and, especially, deep do you suppose it would have to be? I am reading things about containering asparagus not being worth it (and 60L being the minimum, which seems awfully small), but I just don't have the space to dedicate to permanent asparagus bed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:05 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

UGH. My bird of paradise order got cancelled. Am I at the wrong end of the season? This is very discouraging for someone who has as little yard motivation as I do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

Torque, I think your current enclosed bed system is perfectly compatible with asparagus, unless it grows much better in your climate/garden than mine? What is the size of your waster bed and how many plants do you have? I've had an asparagus bed going for about 10 years; the oldest part from male crowns I bought, and then some I started from seed about 5 years ago. I spaced them about a foot apart, and only one crown has come near to mingling with its neighbor. But the bed looks like an impenetrable, ferny forest, 8' tall by early summer! Weeding out perennial weeds is the biggest problem, as it is hard to do without damaging the crowns or emerging spears. So planting in the bed with mint isn't a great idea.

It's going to be a few years before you get a decent harvest, so plant somewhere where it can stay for a long, long time. And prep/amend the soil as well as you can, because you can only top-dress in the future (so add in potassium and phosphorus.) The only problem I've had with it spreading is by seed, from the seeds that I started, that turned out to be female - which is why most crowns sold are a male selection. And the self-sown ones are only a problem when they germinate in the asparagus bed itself; other ones are easy to lift and replant or just weed out.

Oh - also my paths between beds are very narrow, so I put in stakes at each corner of the asparagus bed and string twine around the circumference, to keep the mature fronds from leaning over the whole path.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 941 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next