| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:48 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

the way i did it this year (my first) was only for seedlings, but big plants do just as well. i had cut the capillary mat just slightly longer than my seedling tray and lifted it up off of the bottom via heavy duty [empty] seedling cells trailing one end into the bottom of the tray. then i put my full cells on top. worked like a charm. (and they were less stressed since i never forgot to water them!)

you could get a long piece that you can put up against your balcony and not have it look too bad. just cut little holes in the plastic where your pots will sit and it should cut down on the evaporation. (drop cloths would probably be ideal for the plastic. in fact, you can get the black stuff and spray paint it pretty pastel colors if you like. the black would cut down mold growth, and light colors would reduce too much sun beating down on black, preventing potentially boiling roots. bunching pots would be better, to provide shade to the plastic. rocks may do in a pinch.) you can also do multiple groupings if you don't mind multiple buckets.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ah I see. So in that case you don't have drip trays, right? That's a good point about mold. Even though it's pretty dry here we do seem to have mold issues so I need to give some thought to the setup.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

also to reduce unnecessary evaporation. (clear plastic would encourage a lot of it in a constantly wet environment such as the capillary mat.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:40 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I've had so much success with my garden even though I'm almost thoroughly neglecting it. And other than the initial $50 in march to have the plot itself, I've spent almost nothing, only planting stuff I get for free from my work. And I've had so much volunteer stuff.

Like a billion forking purple potatoes. Which, by the way, those are kind of depressing to harvest because it's REALLY hard not to stab a whole bunch of them in the process.

My cucumbers are going gangbusters, I've given so many away as presents and also to Produce for the People, and still have tons left for me.

I got some free cilantro starts that were looking all scraggly, and they're doing great! I've never ever ever been able to have cilantro without it either being bolt city, or scraggly/thin city. They beefed up nice, and have hardly started any bolting (I did clip back the ones that seemed likely bolt candidates)

My purple Shiso are these two GIANT forking bushes. And they are so fragrant. Happy.

Kale doing great and un-eaten by bugs, which is a first for me!

Mesculum mix also going well and also uneaten!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:59 am 
Seagull of the PPK

if you let the shiso flower it will come back forever and ever, and the little volunteers transplant well, so you could make some good friends next year.
cilantro, there seem to be some really good heat resistant cultivars out there, this year i seem to have gotten good ones so far.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:38 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i just bought a disgusting amount of seeds and starts today. so of course, work just avalanched on my head this afternoon. OF COURSE!
i will be out planting tomorrow anyway, supposed to rain and it is the perfect time.
i finally found rhubarb seeds. i was holding out for starts but just can't find them anywhere. So they are soaking right now, and will go in the planting tray tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:17 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

exciting!

i am absolutely only doing the half share CSA box next year. it's so sad. i have just SO much food from the full share that it's making me not want to garden. that is unacceptable.

i did, however harvest my first leek today. :-) that was fun. (haven't eaten it yet.) my onions all grew very small. :-( i wonder if i'm close enough to zone 8 that i can switch to short day onions/fall planting. couldn't hurt to try.

the bees stopped visiting all that often lately, and i finally figured out what was happening. someone 2 blocks away has a pear tree that they neglect, and all the bees and wasps are going over there for an easy meal. it's fascinating how preoccupied they are. as long as i stepped gingerly, they didn't bother me. (i collected 3 dropped pears that nobody was eating, i'll eat some tonight. here's hoping they're tasty, and if so, i might ask the owners if i can harvest more.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:35 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just repotted two Christmas cactuses... cacti... cactopus? I got distracted. Anyway, I put gravel at the bottom of the pot and then just used normal compost. Have I killed them?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

How exactly does one prepare potted plants for the winter? Il am thinkig about my pepper plants in particular. Any tips?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:44 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

In preparation for winter I plan to wrap straw and some sort of white fleecy thing around the pots to protect them from frost, but these are pots that will stay outside in the snow, like the roses and the peach tree. I wonder if they should also be covered on the top, but as far as I know the most important thing is to protect the roots from freezing out. I think I'll take the chili plants inside and put them on a sunny but not overly warm spot. Aelle, your pots are on the balcony if I remember correctly, right? Would they be subjected to very cold temperatures?

I have removed the stumps of my broccoli and now I wonder what a good autumn/winter follow up vegetable would be. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:34 am 
Seagull of the PPK

kale? (it is always the answer here....)

i have a question about fennel and am not getting any helpful info from dr google. apparently fennel is detrimental to other plants, and i had a dozen plants in a bed and saw that everything else in the bed was indeed stunted (although this could also be due to sunlight or nutrition, it is the first season planting in that bed, so it is hard to tell). Peas did just fine in the bed though, with no ill effects.
Now all the fennel is gone and I want to plant tomatoes and beans in that bed, but I am noticing that the pole beans I planted are coming up all stunty. After pulling out the fennel, is there anything I am supposed to do? Leave it fallow for a season?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:15 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

i pulled out a 5-year old bronze fennel from the bed that i immediately planted potatoes, green beans and kale in. it didn't seem to affect them all that much. (but i do wonder if my lovage would have done better. (but those were also underneath the eaves, so the water they got all season would have come from rain rolling down the potato hill. so the fennel probably wasn't the cause of the sad lovage. or maybe it was.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:41 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

sounds similar- i don't know if it is just coincidental or not, and my sad sage and stuff could be due to almost anything. guess we'll have to see. i mean, really, i don't know what else i could do- i pulled the plants out, that's the end of the story.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:48 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I buried five little sunchokes early this summer, and just dug up one of them, and it literally became five pounds of progeny! I love growing those guys!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:07 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i wish i could get them. everyone is asking about where to get them but i have not found them anywhere.

I waited til the moon phase was right (yup!) and planted everything today. Rattlesnake beans and quickie sweet corn, purslane among the corn, red bell peppers, green grape tomatoes, yellow cherries, lettuce, more dill, some chard, more scallions.... my hands are killing me, my feet are killing me, i am sunburned and covered in bug bites, and life is grand. Tomorrow I get to weed the garden paths. putting in the bed borders has made weeding such a non issue- now i just pull or weedwack the paths, only.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

i've never eaten sunchokes before. they sound so much easier to grow than potatoes.

speaking of... i dug up the rest of my potatoes today. (quite a bit too late, as some of them resprouted with all the rain. oops!) last winter i had started 9 plants from true seed, and in the other 1/2 of the garden i planted grocery store sprouters. as expected, the ones from the grocery store did better (but honestly not good enough for the massive amount of space they took up. it was kinda disappointing) i was expecting the true seed ones not to produce big potatoes this year, and it looks like maybe only 2 actually produced any? the other ones seem like a total flop. (but i wasn't really watering them, and they may have died earlier than they would have, had i been?)

BUT!!! one of the ones that i grew from seed is actually doing really well!!! i'm going to leave it in the ground and see if i get any more potatoes from it. i hadn't tasted any because i'm afraid of disturbing it. (the other one that produced potatoes made some adorable pearl sized bitties. we'll see what happens next year.) i definitely learned from my mistakes on potato seed growing. this winter i am going to start much earlier, and i am going to grow the seedlings in larger cells for longer before planting them outside.

next year, i am definitely going to be growing my potatoes in trash cans. i just couldn't pile enough compost on top of the plants because of the green beans hanging out in front of them. i didn't want to bury the green beans. so there was a LOT of exposed stem. bleh.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:35 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Should I insulate my greenhouse? I've got greenhouse insulation film up on the windows of my househouse because both my landlord and I are too cheap to pay for proper double glazing. Last year I used kitchen clingfilm.

But... does anyone here insulate their greenhouse?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

wish i had one!! maybe someday. i did use to use clingfilm to insulate my room in college......

my little corns are being born this week!! it is so exciting. last corn crop failed, 100% failed, so i am so happy to see every one of these little sprouts. snails, keep the fork away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

i got a ridiculous amount of free buckets from the bakery inside the local grocery store, and i've been finding all sorts of uses for them. i decided to try and grow carrots and turnips inside over the winter. i ran out of compost, so i put the seeds on top just 2 days ago without covering them, and already the turnips are sprouting! amazing! (i just put some dinner plates on top to keep the moisture in. perfect size.)

i got these buckets, because i want to try and grow some mushrooms in free coffee grounds from starbucks. :-) now i need to pick up more buckets, because of all the uses i'm finding.

i also ordered some multiplying onions from heirloomonions.com i got rakkyo (3 tiny bulbs), 6 small white potato onions and 4 small grey shallots. in the spring, they'll ship 2 ramps and 2 fleener's topsets. (apparently fleener's are pretty rare. i was reading lots of people on plant trading sites lost their plants in a particularly cold winter.) i'm just over trying to grow onions from seed. maybe i'm just using the wrong type? i don't know. maybe i'm close enough to zone 8 to attempt the other type, but i just don't have it in me anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

oops! last night i dismantled my hoses for the season, and while i was at it, i put my heavy duty [somewhat expensive] brass Y valve on the hood of my car. (i don't know why i did that. knowing how forgetful i am. i knew i was going to be going out to wholefoods later.)

i woke up an hour before my alarm remembering my mistake. i went out to check if it was still there. (physics reassured me that it likely wasn't there, and chances are, it flew off at low-speed, so hopefully locally where there is slower traffic.) i looked at the bottom of the driveway. no dice. i asked mr. carrot to drive the route i took on his way to work. i really hope i didn't cause any accidents. :-( (i left at 5:00 too. i'm relieved, though, that i didn't take the highway out there. i did take it on the way home, but you know, physics and more turns means it's more likely to have flown off on the local roads on my way out there.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:00 am 
Seagull of the PPK

so, i just lost my first actual producing zucchini to borers. i was so thrilled that the powdery mildew didn't get it (like it usually does) that I never even considered borers and suddenly, sad zucchini trombone. I have other plants in other beds, think I should just spray with the usual garlic-soap spray I use for aphids (and which seems to have killed the corn borers?)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Woo hoo!! it is summer! Sweet corn is on the horizon! (we have no sweet corn here in this country, so I am SO EXCITED)
The corn is TINY. it set ears when it was less than 3 feet tall, now it is maybe 4.5 feet. (the cultivar is Quickie, a 5-foot type).
The rest of the garden needs weeded and there are squash taking over the whole damn place. The bell peppers are slow coming up but on the whole I am happy as can be.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

I like what you've done with your garden! It looks like a fun place to get out and work in. Quickie is one of the varieties of sweet corn I always grow; we like it a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:43 am 
Seagull of the PPK

thank you!!!
we have had torrential rain and lots of the corns have fallen over. I`ve staked the worst ones up but we are slated for a full week of rain. ugh!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

Sorry about the rain. We also grow taller varieties of corn and almost always have to provide supports due to wind. We sort of fence-grid them in and they lean all over each other, but still produce.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 939 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next