| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:11 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

After visiting the harvest thread over and over I had a dream last night that I finally had enough to take a worthy picture for that thread. Malcolm and I were walking around with a little wagon picking one of everything, eggplant, cucumbers, broccoli, tomatoes, berries, etc.
Then I woke up and remembered the only thing we've harvested so far is one strawberry. *sigh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:57 am 
ol' garly cooch

There, there AM. You're north of us and won't have stuff ready to go for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I haven't done much with our garden lately, buying soil was using up all my money so we're not buying the raised veggie beds for a few more weeks.

abbierae wrote:
Probably because I anthropomorphize everything.

Me too, I have two plants that I need to get rid of, no one wants them, but I'd feel bad putting them in the green waste bins.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've gotten a total of THREE strawberries from my garden. Every single other berry is hollowed out with a forking slug inside.
The only plants that seem to be doing really well is my tomato and pepper plants I kept inside.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:10 pm 
ol' garly cooch

sluggo!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:24 am 
ol' garly cooch

C'mon peeps--what's going on in those gardens? I look forward to everyone's questions every day and am pining for some good garden chat.

Today's topic:
Is there a plant that you have zero luck growing? Garden wish list?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:59 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i had really crepe luck with basil, rosemary and aloe til i moved here!

nowadays, brussels sprouts are a crapshoot. between the fact that our seasons are not only opposite yours but not exactly the same, i never know when to plant them. i've only had them come out once, the rest of the time they are just a waste of space.
also, broco/cauli. they end up being the size of a pencil eraser, maybe because the soil was crepe. And last year my sweet corn was a disaster. again, bad weather.

my garden is doing quite well ATM..... no big complaints. weather is nice, so things are good. my chard is happy and i will have more babies to transplant into the garden in a week or two, unless i get my shiitake in gear and buy the gutters (have you seen plantings in gutters, affixed to sunny walls?) to plant them in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:31 am 
ol' garly cooch

Torque--in the states, county governments will assess your soil for free. Is there anything like that down in Brazil?

Gutter gardening, like this?
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/gard ... ire-083350

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Harvested and ate six heads of broccoli in two days. God, I could eat broccoli with every meal every day.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:13 am 
ol' garly cooch

We were going to go over to Vic's farm and check on my babies, but the heat index is supposed to be near 120 today. I just can't subject my kids to that. I can't say this summer has been a bust, although this growing season has definitely been challenging.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Well my gardening has come to a bit of a standstill. It's been pouring with rain and it's really cold. My herbs and greens are doing ok, apart from the basil which looks pretty unhappy. We had planned to buy some raised beds and put 'em in ourselves but now we think we might wait and hire a guy to do it properly, so we'll have raised beds staggered down one side of the garden. I hope we can do it before spring. I might start growing more things in containers for now.

abbierae wrote:
Harvested and ate six heads of broccoli in two days. God, I could eat broccoli with every meal every day.

Broccoli is one of my faves but the last time I tried to grow it, it got eaten by caterpillars, mites and a cute snail seemed to be living on it/in the container but that's ok, he looked happy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:37 am 
ol' garly cooch

That snail is cute! It will totally nom the heck out of your broccoli.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It was adorable, I took about 20 photos of it :)

My dad got me a jalapeño seedling on the weekend! It's a bit cold at the moment, I'm worried about putting it in the garden, but I have no where in the house I can keep it because one of my cats will eat it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:37 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

This is the first year I am really going to get a fall/winter garden going...so I'm planning that right now. I think I'd like to try overwintering some stuff like garlic and maybe fava beans!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:36 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

hey y'all, there's a veganic gardening facebook thingy now! https://www.facebook.com/VeganTomato
I dunno if somebody already posted this link, but tharyago.

also, even though it's been over 105º every day this week, i'm thinking about my fall garden too!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just ordered some chilli seeds: red & yellow Scotch bonnet, poblano & habanero. I need them for recipes from Viva Vegan! & Caribbean Vegan but I've never seen the chillis avail. at fruit shops/supermarkets.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:46 am 
ol' garly cooch

Kitteh, do you have any ethnic markets or an active farmer's market? That's where you can usually score the rare peppers at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jewbacca wrote:
Kitteh, do you have any ethnic markets or an active farmer's market? That's where you can usually score the rare peppers at a reasonable price.

The most common chillis here are bird's eye, I did find jalapeños this year but I've never seen SBs or habaneros so I'm hoping my plants will produce lots!

I had to bring my jalapeño plant in last night, something has chewed a few holes in some of his leaves but I can never find the culprit on the plant.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:44 am 
ol' garly cooch

I had to bring my jalapeño plant in last night, something has chewed a few holes in some of his leaves but I can never find the culprit on the plant.

Look on the underside of the leaves. What does the damage look like? Could be slugs. If so, sluggo!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jewbacca wrote:

Look on the underside of the leaves. What does the damage look like? Could be slugs. If so, sluggo!

The undersides of the leaves look fine but I think more holes are appearing even though he's now in the bathroom and not outside with the rest of the plants. I've looked all over the pot, under the rim etc and I don't see caterpillars or snails or slugs. I should have taken a photo when I bought him inside to compare to now, maybe I just think there are more holes appearing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Kitteh wrote:
I just ordered some chilli seeds: red & yellow Scotch bonnet, poblano & habanero. I need them for recipes from Viva Vegan! & Caribbean Vegan but I've never seen the chillis avail. at fruit shops/supermarkets.

Oooh, where did you order from? I dream of having a crazy chilli garden.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Erinnerung wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

Oooh, where did you order from? I dream of having a crazy chilli garden.

Here! They says 15-20 seeds per bag, I got 15 in each of mine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:18 am 
ol' garly cooch

Kitteh wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

The undersides of the leaves look fine but I think more holes are appearing even though he's now in the bathroom and not outside with the rest of the plants. I've looked all over the pot, under the rim etc and I don't see caterpillars or snails or slugs. I should have taken a photo when I bought him inside to compare to now, maybe I just think there are more holes appearing.

That is so strange! You can spray the pepper with Bt or sprinkle some sluggo around the base of the plant. Are those products available in your area?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:42 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I ordered a ton of kale seeds, I can't find any in my area! I'm going to be sad pulling all the tomato and pea plants and the pumpkin vines and everything. This was my first garden started from scratch and it was a great experience.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It is sad when you have to pull out plants but soon you'll have a new crop growing in it's place.

jewbacca wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

That is so strange! You can spray the pepper with Bt or sprinkle some sluggo around the base of the plant. Are those products available in your area?

Yup, we have products that contain bt here but so far there are no more holes and it looks like it's growing some new leaves on top too. Thanks for the help, j!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next