| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 857 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:03 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

both are awesome to grow. if you can plant the passionfruit near a wall or post somewhere, do it- they're climbers, leaf out amazingly, and make great fruit.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:51 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i had a kiwi fruit that was a bit too mushy, so i collected the seeds and they're hanging out in the fridge right now. in a few months i'll pull them out and see if i can germinate any of them. *fingers crossed*

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:10 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Today I was checking my tomato plants again (for the first time since Monday, so all of two days later) and now it looks like I have my first tomato disease of the year. I can't tell what the hell it is from looking at it vs pictures and descriptions on the Internet. The leaves are affected on an otherwise very good looking plant... I don't want to have to pull it up but maybe that's the thing to do.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:50 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Here's a picture, in case anyone recognizes it:

I'm thinking maybe it's gray mold? We have had a cold, damp spell the past 3-4 days which might explain the sudden appearance?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:45 pm 

yeah, that can happen to them if they get too cold (notice that the veins didn't get affected? they had more of a buffer)
if you can, snip off the damaged leaves so there is less of a pathway for fungus to get in.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:03 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I put a homemade olla in my raised bed this weekend. I'm hoping this means I won't have to water twice a day during the summer.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:52 pm 
Semen Strong

I feel grumpy. My dog stomped my chard and between chasing a toddler and not knowing how to get my seedings out, I think my basil and tomatoes are the only ones that seem to have withstood our attempts at planting. The kale lost its roots as did the cilantro, the camomile got dug up and tossed around and I lost track of the other things. We have rain tonight so maybe they will fix themselves.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:37 pm 

randomness: i cut up a giant margarine tub for plant labels. i just wish there was a negative half-circle paper punch to help easily round the tips so the corners don't accidentally scrape against the baby plants. for now, i'm cutting them all individually. i could get a corner punch, but it'll still leave a little bit of a point (but not as bad as if it was straight across) for now i'm just rounding them all manually, and messily.

i did find this in my search. these will be great once the plants are in the ground. (especially since i'm planning on planting on the front lawn. they're much cuter than plastic markers.) http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf39410479.tip.html

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:48 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I have total winter squash PTSD from last year's vine borers. I'm thinking of planting in containers this year to possibly avoid that stress. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:55 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So, turns out the governments automised system may have messed up my balancing statements and I may be due back money (the woman in the tax office said it was wrong and I am due back money but I don't trust her or like to bank on it because I rarely get good luck when it comes to money). If I am due money, once the dental work I need is done then I am using the remainder to try get french drains installed in the garden.

If I do manage to get that done then it means I could be ready to start my garden next summer! I only have a small yard so I will just start small with a few herbs like corriander, basil, bay leaves, thyme and then some strawberries and tomatoes.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:43 am 

isa, here are a couple solutions. http://blog.gardenharvestsupply.com/201 ... ine-borer/ (make sure to also put DE down where your squashes were last year, so they get all scratched up when they emerge from the soil.)

my SUV is having battery problems. not the best time of year to not be able to use it. i needs ta get some soil, yo! (and the civic will not cut it.)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:19 am 
protein lump

my tomatoes are still inside since we're moving in a couple weeks, but we had a cold snap and now they're all wilty looking. i hope they make it until i can plant them!

and i got a huckleberry bush today. hucks!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:08 am 
Inflexitarian

My partner and I did a whole bunch of planting on Saturday. I've never done any gardening ever, and my partner has done some but still very little. We planted a bunch - Squash, pumpkin, cucumber, green beans, eggplant, rutabagga, something green and leafy that was probably collard greens, and just for fun we planted a pepper plant too. (Devil's tongue?) I have no idea if we did anything right (I don't have much gardening space in my backyard, where we planted, so there might be too much in a small space), but statistically at least one thing HAS to grow so I'm super excited.

There's also some very extensive grapevines that were present when I moved in and I can see little tiny bunches starting to grow (currently about the size of my thumbnail). I'm pumped to have grapes again.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:10 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

My boyfriend and I build two very large boxes and next weekend the tomatoes, peppers, chilis and zucchini are going to be transferred from my warm enclosed balcony to the boxes out in his yard... I hope they take the temperature change well! They have grown so much, and the tomatoes already have some flowers, I hope it won't stop them from growing and producing.
And then later in the year, once the zucchini stop producing, I want to plant some broccoli and cauliflowers and leeks and whatever autum vegetable I can find.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:55 am 
Inflexitarian

The seedlings seem to be slowly turning yellow and getting droopy. It rained, so they've got plenty of water. Should I try fertilizing? It's also only been a couple of days so maybe they're just adapting to new soil..

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:24 pm 
Semen Strong

WWTPPKD?

I got a nice zucchini seedling at a seed swap. The plant has a few wee buds on it (so exciting) but a few of its leaves have also shriveled up and translucent and brown. Should I toss it? Plant it far away from my other plants? Plant it in the bed with other plants and see how it does (near or far from the other zucchini?)?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:52 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Tea wrote:
The seedlings seem to be slowly turning yellow and getting droopy. It rained, so they've got plenty of water. Should I try fertilizing? It's also only been a couple of days so maybe they're just adapting to new soil..

Seedlings shouldn't need fertilizing, it will probably just stress them out more. Make sure not to overwater them and hope for the best. If you have any pictures someone might have a better idea?

Tofulish wrote:
I got a nice zucchini seedling at a seed swap. The plant has a few wee buds on it (so exciting) but a few of its leaves have also shriveled up and translucent and brown. Should I toss it? Plant it far away from my other plants? Plant it in the bed with other plants and see how it does (near or far from the other zucchini?)?

I'd keep it away from the others, or even toss it. Not worth the hassle. If it's not pot-bound you could keep it in quarantine for a little while and see if it comes good, sometimes leaves dying isn't a big thing. Pinch the buds off so it doesn't use all it's energy on making flowers.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:13 am 

Tea wrote:

sounds a little like damping off. how do the stems at the soil like look? they could be goners.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:22 am 
Semen Strong

caterpillar wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I'd keep it away from the others, or even toss it. Not worth the hassle. If it's not pot-bound you could keep it in quarantine for a little while and see if it comes good, sometimes leaves dying isn't a big thing. Pinch the buds off so it doesn't use all it's energy on making flowers.

Thanks! Does it matter if the leaves are going crispy? I keep googling but basically just get lots of hits for how to grow cannabis.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:36 am 

cut those leaves off. they won't come back, and if they're harboring something, you'll get rid of whatever's in there.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:48 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks! I'll do that and keep it quarantined for a bit. Inshallah its fine! I love zukes!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:03 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

supercarrot wrote:
cut those leaves off. they won't come back, and if they're harboring something, you'll get rid of whatever's in there.

Yes and if it's not too late late remember to bin it, not put it in the compost, just to be safe.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:16 am 
Semen Strong

Great tip! Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 am 
Inflexitarian

supercarrot wrote:
sounds a little like damping off. how do the stems at the soil like look? they could be goners.

The stems at the soil look mostly fine to me.

Here's some photos:

I've never heard of damping off. I looked it up and it's some sort of fungal issue. The people who lived here before me had stuff growing very successfully in the exact same place, and one plant even survived the winter and is still sitting happily in a corner with no symptoms. Everything else was growing fine before, where would that suddenly come from?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:43 am 

they look mostly fine to me. the cotyledons are supposed to fall off. they're essentially the amniotic fluid/placenta/yolk of the plant world.
and that last photo kinda looks like sun scorch.

oh, also those are little plants, not seedlings. go ahead and give 'em a dose of fertilizer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 857 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 35  Next