| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

both of those issues can be caused by not enough nutrients. are you fertilizing? (more nitrogen for greenery and more P for flowers/veggies. K is good for overall plant health)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:49 pm 
Huffs Nooch

supercarrot wrote:
both of those issues can be caused by not enough nutrients. are you fertilizing? (more nitrogen for greenery and more P for flowers/veggies. K is good for overall plant health)

I haven't just because I got them a couple weeks ago. I'm also not crazy about buying fertilizer, and until I start a compost bin I won't have compost. Is there something I can do in the meantime?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

worm poop?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:26 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Rosemary is a Mediterranean herb and prefers full sun and to be kept a bit on the dry side; go light on fertilizer too or you'll get a lot of rank growth. You can use your own pee (dilute it a lot) for fertilizer if you want, but I would recommend buying something for a better NPK balance. Veganic blends are pretty easy to find in some areas or you can buy it online, if that is your concern. Also, when you water make sure to water deeply until it runs out the bottom of your pots; and since you've transplanted them, check to see that the water is penetrating the original root ball too.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:24 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Jill wrote:
Rosemary is a Mediterranean herb and prefers full sun and to be kept a bit on the dry side; go light on fertilizer too or you'll get a lot of rank growth. You can use your own pee (dilute it a lot) for fertilizer if you want, but I would recommend buying something for a better NPK balance. Veganic blends are pretty easy to find in some areas or you can buy it online, if that is your concern. Also, when you water make sure to water deeply until it runs out the bottom of your pots; and since you've transplanted them, check to see that the water is penetrating the original root ball too.

I think I'll actually try the pee thing; I'm totally broke right now, and will find a proper fertilizer after I get paid. How can I see if water is getting into the root ball without disturbing it? Just stick my finger in?

(Sorry for being such a noob. : )

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

you can put them in dishes and let it sit in the water for 15 minutes or so before pouring the excess out.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:23 am 
Inflexitarian

Two of the green bean plants have sprouted! Also, more zucchini (or pumpkin)! I thought I saw something almost peaking out yesterday, but I haven't looked yet today. It was really rainy for a couple of days and the slugs came out in force, but they only seemed interested in the rutabaga, which works out because the rutabaga is in desperate need of being thinned out anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:44 am 
Married to the wolfman

My biggest green bean plant (the one that's over 9 feet long now) is starting to flower! All the others are growing so quickly all of a sudden, too. I'm a little terrified that I'm going to be drowned in green beans.

My tomatoes are all fruiting too! Except the green zebra, which has flowers but no fruit yet.

One of my tomatoes is in a container, and it just looks... Sad. Maybe because the others look so good? The leaves are kind of curly and yet droopy, and some of the leaves feel dry. And some of the leaves are bright yellow. It's a mess. (But it's continuing to grow, and fruiting, and it's in a container well away from the area where the others are planted so maybe I should just leave it alone?)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:03 am 
Inflexitarian

The rest of the green beans are sprouting! Also, more zucchini/pumpkin! And the new ones are in the other part of the garden, so while I still can't tell the difference between the zucchini or pumpkin seedlings, I can now be sure that both are sprouting.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

are the yellow leaves concentrated at the top of the plant or the bottom? (old leaves vs new) or are they just randomized?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:11 am 
Tofu Pup

I have new stuff coming up (in England), carrots, rainbow chard and kale just up.

We're eating lime leaves and spinach so far, but have only had the garden for six months.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:02 pm 
Married to the wolfman

supercarrot wrote:
are the yellow leaves concentrated at the top of the plant or the bottom? (old leaves vs new) or are they just randomized?

They're mostly on the bottom, but seem to be spreading upwards.

Here's a picture of the plant in question:

Maybe I'm like projecting my neuroses onto my tomato plant, but it just looks...wrong. Especially compared to my other 3 really healthy tomato plants.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

maybe it needs more water than the other plants? looks a little wilty there. (continuous wilting can stress a plant.)

also, there are nutrients that are transient and others that stay in the leaf once it's there. if it's the older leaves that are yellowing, that means it's a transient nutrient, and the new leaves are taking it from the old leaves. this link can help diagnose. http://gardening.about.com/od/gardenpro ... eficie.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:02 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Are the others in Terra Cotta, too? Maybe if not, that's why this one gets dryer than the rest. Terra Cotta sucks a lot of moisture out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:23 am 
Married to the wolfman

Interesting! I do water this one more frequently-- it gets a gallon every other day. (Which led me to think, maybe I'm overwatering it?) But maybe I'll try daily for a bit and see what happens. The worst thing that could happen is that it dies-- and then I'm out $3 and the saddest looking plant, soooo not the end of the world.

Thanks again for your input! I don't know where my garden would be sans PPK.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:35 am 
Inflexitarian

Aaahhh. The slugs! So many slugs! I didn't think they were that bad but then I noticed that they were almost all devouring the big brassica (which is now starting to keel over and die). What's the best thing to do about slugs? Google gave me ~10000 different methods, but I'm sure some approaches are better than others. I've been hand picking and putting down boards for them to congregate under for easy grabbing later. I also put down a bowl or two of yeasty water (no beer. I drank it all).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:32 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

This method can be a bit pricey depending on where you are, actually I bet east coast would be worse than here, but, if you can get a thick enough layer of hazelnut shells as mulch, I've heard great things about that. They can't really climb on that stuff, they'll avoid it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:01 pm 
Semen Strong

What the heck is up with my chard?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

looks kinda like this.

http://extension.umass.edu/vegetable/ar ... nd-spinach

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:04 am 
Semen Strong

Mine doesn't have circular spots with a pale brown to off-white center with a red margin, though. Any other ideas? That link is terrifying!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oh, ok. it looked like the margins were reddish in the photo, but that could just be the chard being chardy. (and i was thinking you might have caught it early before the pale centers became prominent. and they're totally circular. that big spot is just a bunch of circles bunched together.)

i've never grown chard, so my google is as good as yours. sorry. :-( it's definitely a disease. cut it off, and trash the leaves. no compost. (unless you have a worm bin.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:23 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yeah, i just went out in the yard to look at my early chard leaves [thinking it might just be a growth abnormality] but nothing really looks like that, especially the "gall" quality of the leaf where the red is. snip em off and throw em out and see what the next leaves look like.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:57 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

If the leaves look healthy otherwise, I'd cut affected ones off and eat them.... I'm wondering if it might just be some pigment mutation though, since that color is in the stems anyway. Or maybe some sort of micronutrient deficiency? But probably a disease. I know I've seen pictures of leaves like that somewhere....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:54 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you all! I have no idea what I am doing, so SC, your google-fu is much appreciated! And better than mine :)

torque wrote:
nothing really looks like that, especially the "gall" quality of the leaf where the red is.

What does "gall" mean here?

I pulled up the baby plant and trashed it. The one next to it was fine. So dog willing it will persevere.

But now I have wee ashy spots on one of my zucchini leaves and aphids. It looks a powdery mildew according to Google, so I snipped the affected leaf and am going to keep watching. Any other tips?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:47 am 
Seagull of the PPK

[i don't know if gall is the right word- galls are those big gnarly tumors that trees get. oh my english she is soooooooo mangled and nutrient-deficient too.]
what i meant was it looked like the texture was almost like a scar where the red spots are- instead of the normal leaf shape/suspension it's kind of ripply and odd.

powdery mildew has been the bane of my existence with all of that family- i think it must be our particular weather pattern or something. i've heard all sorts of weird things but the best seems to be snip the affected leaves, when it gets bigger, snip off the leaves that are past their prime to encourage air flow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 33  Next