| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:48 pm 
WELFARIST!

I've moved so I no longer have an awesome garden. The yard at my apartment is pretty big but I don't trust my downstairs neighbors of being respectful of a garden at all so I don't want to put the work and money into it. I'm considering growing a few small plants in small pots, and sitting them on my windowsill.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My dumb apt is making me take down all the planters on my railing and all my hanging plants. That's a LOT of pots. I don't know where I'm going to forking put them now. They looked so pretty. Screw apartment living.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Hats awesome, MBM. I think I got a photo of our little mustard. He took a tomato as big as head and sat on the deck rail eating it. Then went on a rampage tearing off all the other tomatoes, sometimes taking a bite first. I was amazed he ate that enormous tomato.

Since I don't eat tomatoes, I thought the whole scene was much funnier than my mom (who loves tomatoes) did.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:08 pm 
Married to the wolfman

couroupita wrote:
My dumb apt is making me take down all the planters on my railing and all my hanging plants. That's a LOT of pots. I don't know where I'm going to forking put them now. They looked so pretty. Screw apartment living.

Seriously? What the fork?

I loved the picture you posted the other day of all your plants.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:59 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

is it a weight issue? (or is it a possibility that they're dripping on the downstairs neighbors? or is it a solid floor?)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It's for appearance reasons. Stupid uniformity. :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:35 pm 

bleh. :-( do you at least have a south facing window?

i built this ugly asparagus sun reflector for early seed starting out of wire and a mylar emergency blanket. (we had extras from the tough mudder.) it actually really helped. the seedlings barely leaned. i just made a loop at one end to hook over the curtain rod and a bit of a bump out to keep it away from the trays. i already folded them up for the season, but i can make a drawing of it if you like.

it doesn't block all of the sun, so it was still plenty bright in the rest of the room. (but then again, i do have pretty tall windows.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:45 am 
Saggy Butt

couroupita wrote:
It's for appearance reasons. Stupid uniformity. :(

Ugh what the fork. I thought maybe it was incase they fell down in a storm or something, but that is complete shiitake.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Maybe it is an uptight suburban California thing. Every apartment I've ever lived in has gotten on my case about hanging plants or having stuff on the railing because it makes the apartment stick out. C'mon guys, that's exactly what a railing is good for!

I took down my hanging plants but I'm going be contrarian and leave the railing planters. If they nag me, I'll take them down. That is prime sunny real estate for my cukes and strawberries!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:45 am 
WRETCHED

That sucks couroupita.

Things are starting to grow in my little garden. I'm guessing my Jalapeno seeds won't grow though because we've been having some pretty cold nights. I may have to just go get a seedling at Home depot or something.

We have squirrels plus I've also seen a few doves eyeing my little garden. We shall see how well it does.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am 
Married to the wolfman

couroupita wrote:
I took down my hanging plants but I'm going be contrarian and leave the railing planters. If they nag me, I'll take them down. That is prime sunny real estate for my cukes and strawberries!

Stick it to the man c!

Seriously, pretty much anywhere in this part of California, you are probably paying way too forking much to live where you live to be told OH NO YOU CANT PUT YOUR PLANTS ON THE RAILING. That's silly talk.

I've been planting at least one seed a day for the past several weeks as I do a final push on my thesis. A lot of the first ones are starting to sprout now! Combined with all the stuff I planted before that. Things are getting a little crazy out there. Will this be the year that I successfully grow a melon?? I have like eight 2" melon sprouts right now, so, maybe?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

electric_claire wrote:
Lillianp, in my area people throw out broken dressers or just plain drawers alllll the time. We have a huge collection of random drawers liberated from alleys that we use for all sorts of things- smaller ones as a spice rack in the kitchen, larger onesnmounted on brackets in the living room for bookshelves and stacked by our door for shoes. I just turned some into planter boxes for our porch by drilling some drainage holes on the bottom. You can also sometimes find wine crates in the trash, or wooden produce crates behind little bodegas. If you use produce crates (or even milk crates), you can line them with trash bags to make free planting boxes.

These are super ideas! I find it difficult to bend and really want to grow things at waist height this year but I have no spare money to buy materials for raised beds, and probably lack the ability too at present. I do live in a crappy neighbourhood where people dump things like chests of drawers on the street so I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!

I know I'm late getting started but I bought some variety packs of container-suitable or easy grow seeds. Today I potted up courgette/zuchinni and mixed chilli pepper seeds, and when I can get more compost I've got tomatoes, carrots, spinach, lettuce and radish seeds to put in, plus cress, oregano, coriander and parsley I'm going to try to grow on windowsills inside.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Jealous of your melons (haha that sounds so weird). I have never been able to grow them!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:32 pm 

i grew a tigger melon on some plastic trellising against my garage back in 2008. (got 2 tiny melons from it. ha!) i then lost all of my seeds under clutter in the basement for 5 years, and now that i found them, i've been testing viability. this year will also be the first year that i've eradicated the grass from the entirety of the front lawn, so i have a bit more space to try my hand at melons again. turns out the orangeglo watermelon had wonderful viability! and the sprouts are nice and sturdy.

so i have:
2 charentais
4 golden midget
5 orangeglo and
4 tiggers.

here's hoping there's enough space for them. :-) (and good thing they were lost in the cold basement for those 5 years, and not somewhere warmer. i was concerned the carrots were dead, but 3 out of the 7 varieties sprouted wonderfully. the other 4 had low viability, but there are still enough to have a meal or two from. the onions are a lost cause, of course. i'll be keeping all my onion seeds in the freezer from now on. the squashes and cucumbers might be dead? i did dump them in a pile in their communal pots though. they might have sprouted better had they been separated from each other. the clump seems to have encouraged molding/spreading of mold. i think i'll leave myself a note to soak them next year in a mild H2O2 solution prior to planting.) i'm all out of coconut coir, and i don't feel like expanding another brick this year. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

the birds got to my seed sprouting tray and of course, what did they kill, but the baby chard. they ignored the parsley.

the chard is the Kenny of my garden-- it has died in a million ways and looks like i am never, ever going to get any chard. i'm starting to get kind of sad about it. (i had chard before i traveled last year, not sure how i managed to get it to live that long)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:08 pm 
Inflexitarian

Last spring my sweetie and I innoculated some logs with mushroom spores, and yesterday we just saw our first shiitake sprouting up!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:15 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

how exciting!!! i wish i had access to that here!

i just put a chickenwire cover type thing over the baby dino kale. if it keeps the birds out, i'll do the same for chard (which i just planted directly in the bed. i hope that will do the trick.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:48 pm 

hi-larious hijinks. i googled kill thistle bleach, and the 2nd hit was made back in 2004 by a former employer of mine. i didn't actually realize it was him until he mentioned his town. small world, small world indeed.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:04 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

chickenwire showed that it ain't birds, it's cutworms. put plastic collars on everything today. WHAT NEXT??

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:06 pm 

oh, i'm so sorry to hear that. :-( i found 2 cutworms in the town compost when i was picking it up. i'm so nervous. (i should have sifted it all.)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:54 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

the good news was i found what was eating the string bean flowers. at the end of the season! that pooper has eaten really well this year. super fat green caterpillar, i thought it was actually a bean, it was so well camouflaged.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:19 pm 

*gasp* i just discovered that atlas has discontinued the touch glove. (they're on amazon for $20/6 pack. i'm considering getting 12 pairs. i really need to stay on top of keeping my fingernails short now that there's a limited supply. my right hand gloves always get worn through on the thumb and/or forefinger.)

somebody really needs to make an atlas-style glove with reinforced fingertips. (however, i suppose the glove manufacturers are relying on that wear for quick turnover.)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:24 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I don't really understand how that glove can be discontinued, it's used be like, every industry ever. Every grocery store I've worked at orders them by the bucket loads.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:06 am 
Seagull of the PPK

NO BLOODY KIDDING! I don't have long nails but i wear through gloves like nobody's business. i bought some really nice ones (digz) that were reinforced and even vegan, but of course with my big old hands the large isn't big enough.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:43 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Are you sure they really are discontinuing the whole lot, not just that size, or that packet size? Maybe they're trying to panic people so sales go up!

I found two avocado plants by my compost bin! No idea how they both missed going in as pits, but I'm quite impressed! Of course they have no chance of surviving through the winter here, so now I have to think about whether I want to pot them up.

Today I sowed some parsley seeds. I really hope they grow, so many of Isa's recipes have parsley and I don't want to have to keep buying titchy pots of herbs from the supermarket.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 35  Next