| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:19 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

this is the only thing they have on their gardening glove page:
http://www.atlasfitgloves.com/atlasgardeninggloves.html
and i know from experience that black gardening gloves are not fun. (sure they're probably good for people who work out of the sun, but they really absorb the solar radiation.) when i worked in a greenhouse, they had boss gloves, and they were black, but also a crappier quality than atlas. (it frustrated me that they didn't carry atlas. they're so much better.) i went through those boss gloves like toilet paper.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:54 am 
Seagull of the PPK

SLUGS AND SNAILS ARE EATING EVERYTHING!

i have put traps to catch and remove, no dice.
now i've put circles of lime on the ground around my nappa cabbage (which is what they really want. when i harvest them i'm losing about 50% of the head volume to snail damage, and they need to be soaked in bleach because of the mess the critters make)
i did an experimental patch last week, and there was no damage whatsoever to those plants. as long as it isn't raining every day, seems like a decent solution. we shall see. (all my baby kales are now covered with cups to protect them)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:35 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Question to the experienced gardeners: I have finally managed to get lettuce to sprout (after learning that they need light and not deep planting of the seeds...), and the sprouts look like... sprouts, thin and long with two leaves at the top. What do I need to do to them so they start building the lettuce head? Should I re-pot them? At which depth? When they are still small and thin, or do I need to wait longer?

A similar question applies to the cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and cabbage seeds that sprouted and are now small thin tiny plants with two leaves at the top: when they will be bigger and I re-pot/plant them, do I need to do something to the plants so they grow properly? I think I have read somewhere that you need to sort of heap earth on the bottom of the cabbage stalks to encourage the formation of the head, is that right?

Thank you!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

when they are this small you won't be able to repot them without hurting them. you need to wait til they have at least 5 or 6 leaves, i would say, and are strong enough to take a move.

as for making heads, i'm not sure. i'm growing some kind of bitter lettuce and it just made itself into a head, needed no special treatment. for cabbage, etc, don't know.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:48 am 

ok, so the seed leaves are called cotyledons. everything below that point has the ability to be a root. when seedlings don't have enough light, they grow really long cotyledons in an effort to reach more light. it's okay to heap more soil over the stem just below the cotyledon. (some plants, like tomatoes and viney plants, are an exception. they can sprout roots from above the cotyledon too.)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:46 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

My snow pea seems to be dying. I don;t know why? :(

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:22 am 
Seagull of the PPK

dunno where you are but they don't like heat. they like cool spring days.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:45 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Im in Northern Cali. Maybe I should shade them then. It ssupposed to get to almost 100 this week. Thanks torque

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:39 pm 

yeah, you might not have much luck with peas where you are this time of year. you can start again in the fall. (you can grow pole beans in that space during the summer.

the bees finally found my boysenberries. so excited. i was afraid they weren't going to be attractive since it had been a few days since the first flowers opened, and i didn't see anyone buzzing around. (the town sprays for mosquitoes, so i was afraid there weren't enough that survived.) last year i only had a dozen or so flowers and i harvested 5 berries. and probably too early. they were a little too sour. this year i see hundreds of flowers. i'm excited!!!! wheee! i think i'll get that beach ball thing with eyes that are supposed to simulate predators. the vines are situated in an awkward position against the garage, so i think bird netting would just get in the way and probably be ineffective since i wouldn't really be able to seal the edges all that well, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:08 am 

Thanks, torque and supercarrot!
Here are some pictures, if it helps:
Lettuce
Cauliflower
Brussel sprouts

I think the cauliflowers and Brussel sprouts should be ok in a while, they have sprouted the second set of leaves at the top. But the lettuce... hm, not so sure. Any idea what I should do? It doesn't look like the nice tight leaves I see whenever I google "growing lettuce from seeds"...

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:25 am 

For some reason I can't edit the post, so here are bigger pictures:
Image2014-05-14 Lettuce by Anek_80, on Flickr

Image2014-05-14 Cauliflowers by Anek_80, on Flickr

Image2014-05-14 Brussel Sprouts by Anek_80, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:25 am 
Seagull of the PPK

that's how they look at the beginning. i buy my starts from garden centers, and i figure they're at least 4 weeks old, and even for head lettuce, they look like the pic you posted. once they get really established, a few more weeks in, they start making heads (nappa cabbage, etc also). if you don't take them out of the seed starting flats, they will not make little heads (must have something to do with root depth or nutrient source or something).

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:35 am 

Oh, thanks! That's super good to hear! Then I'll wait (im)patiently until they get ready for transplant. Somehow I though lettuce gets from seed to table in just a few weeks, I was obviously wrong. Maybe that's just for the leaf lettuce, the one that just gets cut.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:22 am 
Seagull of the PPK

the little leaf lettuce you can cut almost immediately. if i get done with this $!#(¨&! translation job i can go out and take some pics for you, i've got a few different kinds out in the garden. all of them have to be at least 2 months old and i got them as starts, so you figure another month.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:30 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Im extra sad about my snow pea dying. Just spotted two little pea pods today.

Ants have started hanging out on my cucumber.

Random. Can someone tell me how to post pics. Im a returning PPKer and don't remember!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:22 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Everything my boyfriend and I planted two weeks ago is thriving! We've got corn, tomatoes, basil, cucumber, bell peppers, tomatillos, dahlias, mint, oregano, and lavender. The only thing that has failed is the rhubarb, which officially shriveled up and died yesterday. I may get another seedling this weekend and try again.

For me, this is remarkably well. My boyfriend's out of town for the next week so I hope I don't manage to kill it all before he comes back.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:44 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

the #$(¨&!#$¨%()$*&¨$#) birds are eating my lettuce! and they're really pretty birds (the same ones that eat fruit). but my lettuce is really pretty too! stinking birds! it's fun to watch them nyak away but dammit, i wanted to eat that lettuce.
(get the slugs and snails kind of under control, and now this. le sigh.)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I planted rattlesnake & purple pole beans on the 3rd of May, and they sprouted and grew several inches between Wednesday & Thursday's warm weather. I was worried they rotted in the ground. Also planted a tri-color jewel blend of beets between my kale plants on May 8th, and they sprouted on Wednesday. Huzzah! Gardening! I hope the slugs don't eat my beet seedlings now that I've weeded.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:05 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

So, I just moved into a new house that has an existing (sad) flower/shrub garden in the front. There is a lot of space between things, so I bought some flowers to make it a happier place. I knew there was a fabric tarp under the (old) mulch, but what I didn't know that there was crappy dirt/rocks directly under the tarp. I cut an X in the tarp to plant something and immediately struck rocks and a very clay-like dirt. I thought there might be at least a few inches of good soil directly underneath, but nope. Am I screwed? Can I plant anything in this?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:46 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I would just dig a large-ish hole (maybe 2-3 times the size you need for your plant) and see if you can't mix the original soil in with some planting/potting soil and compost. If it's really awful then just use a planting mix but try to work some of the original soil in there, as planting and earthworms and all that groovy stuff can help make some of that original soil better. As for rocks, take out the bigger ones and line the bottom of the hole with it. That will help with drainage. If you do this every planting season you'll slowly convert your crappy soil into something more healthy!

I barely qualify as a gardener, I'm just saying what I've done in similar situations based on my (master gardener) dad's advice. If someone here has better advice, by all means, take it!

My rhubarb is officially dead and I was very sad to see that the nursery where I was hoping to buy a replacement is going out of business after 20 years. The owner died last month in her 40s (I'm assuming suddenly) and I get the impression that her elderly parents are too old/overwhelmed/heartbroken to keep the business going. It's very sad. I did find a cantaloupe vine and a six-pack of lettuce at my local grocery store, so I am going to go for that instead! I'll have to give rhubarb another try next year, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:14 pm 

rhubarb is perennial! the sooner you plant it the faster it'll get gigantic and give you reliable foodstuffs. if you can find another one, do it! don't think it's only plantable in the spring. i'd even think it'd be fine to plant late summer. you want to give it time to grow roots so it doesn't heave itself out of the soil over winter... but then i guess you wouldn't have a problem like that in CA. you can post an ISO on craigslist. someone might be ready to divide theirs. you'd never know.

as for the rocks, i would pull them out and add lots of compost. they're just taking up space that good compost could be using. you can use them to line a path or something. i have been using my smaller-than-palm sized ones as garden markers. i have an alcohol based garden marker from burpee. let's see if that lasts longer than the sharpie i tried using last year. if that fades too fast, i'll get some puffy paint.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh man, I would love to grow rhubarb but I read it does awful in containers. I saw some pony packs of it at a dale hardware by my house so it might be worth checking a few more nurseries if you decide to try again this season.

The two miserable heat waves killed off most of the stuff in my railing planters (cukes, dill, and sunflowers died, strawberries and thyme are barely hanging on). I just couldn't keep up, even watering every day. I'd like to replant with something hardy and edible that can tolerate intense sun, heat, and dryish soil. Do you guys have any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:41 pm 

did you use the soil moist crystals? that might help give you an edge.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oooh, no I didn't! I had some notion in the back of my mind that they weren't very eco friendly (being polymers, which is funny since I'm going to be working as a not very eco-friendly polymer chemist soon!). They might be cellulose based. I will have to look into them, thanks!

Eta: they are polyacrylamide. I'm looking into them!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:56 pm 

you're welcome. :-)

you can also put some chunks of plastic over the drainholes to make it harder for water to dribble out before the plants/polymers have a chance to soak it up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next