| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:36 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I planted everything outside yesterday - herbs, tomato seedlings, pepper seedlings, and some seeds straight into the ground (radishes, rainbow swiss chard, kale, green beans). It is supposed to be really nice out here for the next week with no risk of frost, so I think I'm okay...well, it had better be okay since I spent $$$ on plants! The plants were taking over my entire kitchen so I'm happy to have my space back again! I'll be taking pics soon!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:51 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Something is eating my marigolds. It's an animal, not slugs or anything. And they are a few tomato plants and a jalapeno, too. Bummed!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:55 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I think urine is supposed to scare animals away, at least that's what I tell myself when I watch the dogs treat my garden like a litter box.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:56 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Would it be super gross if I sprinkled some cat litter around? Some other message board that came up when I googled said it might be crasshole birds.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:53 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i wouldnt do cat litter because of toxoplasmosis or whatever it's called that can be transmitted through cat litter- pregnant woman and small children (i have one of those) are susceptible to it, mostly, although if you think anyone with an suppressed immune system might come in contact with your garden or it's fruits, i would say no.

eta, i had a neighbor in iowa who hung cds all around the edges of his garden to keep the birds from going into it- he felt it helped and it was actually kinda pretty!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:47 am 

jildez wrote:
i wouldnt do cat litter because of toxoplasmosis or whatever it's called that can be transmitted through cat litter- pregnant woman and small children (i have one of those) are susceptible to it, mostly, although if you think anyone with an suppressed immune system might come in contact with your garden or it's fruits, i would say no.

eta, i had a neighbor in iowa who hung cds all around the edges of his garden to keep the birds from going into it- he felt it helped and it was actually kinda pretty!

Yeah, anything that reflects light. I'm going to put some cds up because I tried to burn a cd like it's 1999 and made a bunch of coasters.

Isa, either pee in a cup and sprinkle it around or ask someone with a penis to go pee in your garden when it's dark.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:05 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Preferably someone you know?
hahaha, otherwise, that may be a bit awkward. "Hey, you there! You look like you might have a penis... can you come water my garden???"

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:13 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Malcolm and I were at Lee Valley yesterday looking for birthday gifts for my husband, and while we were waiting in line, Malcolm picked some seed packets from a rack that he thought would go well with the gift (Malcolm is 5). So on top of the things we were going to plant already, we will also attempt to grow sunflowers, giant pumpkins (the kind they use in the pumpkin regatta- people hollow out massive pumkpins, paint them, then paddle in a race down a river in their pumpkin.) and peanuts. I don't even know if peanuts will grow here, but we'll find out.
Malcolm and I also did a science project of cutting the ends off of some sweet potatoes we were cooking for supper and did the toothpick/hang them in some water thing. They now have little white roots, so maybe we'll grow sweet potatoes this year too.
For mother's day, I had mentioned to Malcolm I would rather have blueberry bushes for the garden than a boquet of flowers. I have blueberry bushes now. Yay!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:07 am 

I went to Ace to get some more dirt so I could plant some more leafy things in my pots, and came home with 12 sweet potatoes, four different ground cover plants, and a flat of annuals to put in the stone planters, because they were all on sale.

How much do you guys spend on your garden? I would say i've put in about $200 so far, but I also had to buy a couple of new tomato stakes so I got bamboo ones that are eight feet tall and almost as thick as my wrist, and a lot of dirt to fill up containers I wasn't using last year.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:21 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

This year has been bad money wise- we got 10 cubic yards of garden soil, 2 of mulch, a rain catcher, seeds, etc. Probably getting close to $700.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:40 am 

Holy jeebus, now I don't feel so bad! I bet the rain catcher was pricey, my FIL mentioned getting a rain barrel until he looked at some prices.

I justify it by the fact that i'm going to eat most of the garden and it's my main summer hobby.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:17 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So I moved into this new place where there is plenty of room for lots of gardening and awesomeness. However we've only just got somewhat settled after all the move craziness and I feel like I'm getting awfully close to 'too late'. Another problem is that the ground is absolutely disgusting. It's this terribly uneven, rock-solid (I can barely shovel it) weed-only nightmare. I feel like I have two options: 1) rent a roto-tiller and go crazy, and 2) buy a bunch of gravel and soil and put it on top of the mess, pretending like it doesn't exist. Problem is that we're a little apprehensive to spend too much money right now. I feel like the roto-tiller option might be cheaper, but we'll still need to buy some more dirt and stuff with that option for the beds, so actually maybe not. I'm pretty worried I'll just forgo it until too late, and that would make me very sad.

Another problem is I'd have to rent a tiller that would fit in the back of a hatchback Gulf. I think renting a truck and the tiller is getting a bit crazy.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:25 am 

If money is an issue, i'd do some containers. If you have any plastic storage containers that you don't need so much after moving, you can use those for tomatoes - it's a lot cheaper than buying a big enough pot. It's also a lot less work so you can get it done much quicker. You can also do the gutter thing I mentioned above!

I had to build above ground gardens in both places I lived down south - the first back yard turned out to be full of rocks and then our house was a lot of clay, I tried just digging up the ground one year and it was a nightmare and none of my stuff grew. It's a lot of work and I spent a lot of money on bricks and 4x4s the first year (sometimes I get mad that Brian wouldn't let me tear apart the garden and take all of the bricks and stuff with me). ALSO you can (assuming you have storage room) start buying stuff at the end of summer when landscaping stuff starts going on sale, and sometimes you can find planters and pots on the side of the road that people are throwing out.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:34 am 

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. It doesn't satisfy my want of making my backyard look like something out of Home and Garden magazine, but that's really not practical right now, and at least I'd have plants. And I mean, we are renting, so if I put hundreds of dollars into a backyard that will only end up making the landlords more money kind of sucks.

You know that 'putting down plastic' thing that kills everything in the soil including weeds? That's kind of a mean thing right? I shouldn't do that? :P I'm mostly frustrated because I feel like I can't start any work at all, so when I have free time I feel like I should be outside fixing up the yard, but I just can't seem to figure out where to begin. The bins idea is good though, though the bins we have are mostly in use permanently. Still I bet buying new would be cheaper than buying a bunch of wood and everything else to make raised beds work out back there.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:52 am 

Feeling a little better now. I just found out there's a 'Harbor Freight Tools' store near me, which seems to have some really cheap prices on stuff. Online I can't really tell if they'd have soil or anything like that, but they do seem to have ridiculously cheap hoses, soaker and regular, and timers and stuff. So if they have all that I'm sure it's worth a look.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Mars wrote:
I feel like I have two options

There is another cheap option, it will take longer but you can totally start sheet composting! Basically, you put down cardboard on top of the ground where you want to start the garden. That will kill the weeds by blocking out the lights and add a brown layer. Then you add a layer of kitchen scraps, a layer of straw and so on. You basically compost in layers alternating green and brown layers. Then you can just add soil to the top and you can even plant right on top of it. After a while it will shrink down and you will have perfect beautiful soil.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:13 pm 

LazySmurf wrote:
Mars wrote:
I feel like I have two options

There is another cheap option, it will take longer but you can totally start sheet composting! Basically, you put down cardboard on top of the ground where you want to start the garden. That will kill the weeds by blocking out the lights and add a brown layer. Then you add a layer of kitchen scraps, a layer of straw and so on. You basically compost in layers alternating green and brown layers. Then you can just add soil to the top and you can even plant right on top of it. After a while it will shrink down and you will have perfect beautiful soil.

I kind of love you! I can so do this, without even asking for help from other people. This, plus a couple containers for the stuff that needs to be started right away. I'm set!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:49 pm 

If you're renting and just moved in, i'd definitely hold off on investing a ton of money (composting is free, so that sounds awesome), you might find out that you hate your landlord/neighbors and won't want to renew your lease.

This also makes me glad that every time i've moved in the past eight years, it's been in the dead of winter so i've never had to deal with this. I'm feeling the garden itch FOR you.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:55 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
you might find out that you hate your landlord/neighbors and won't want to renew your lease.

Well the neighbors thing, who knows for sure, but luckily I have some pretty awesome landlords. And they are cool with me re-doing the backyard in a grand scheme. But yeah, who knows.

My neighbors have chickens, fyi... so I'm living my chicken-having fantasy vicariously through them. They cluck a lot in the morning and it's really cute to wake up to (they're ladies so it's not alarm-like, just cute). Oh and my dog is very perplexed by them, she doesn't bark at them like she does dogs and cats, she acts a little afraid but more so curious.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:37 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I finally got access to our community garden plot today, and holy bindweed. It was seriously a mat of bindweed and thistle. I got all the big stuff up, but this plot wasn't gardened last year so everything seeded big time. It's a good thing I like weeding, as that is going to be my summer past time. Any tips for bindweed eradication?

In happier news, my coworker brought me some gorgeous heirloom black tomato starts.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:39 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i am at this moment getting ready to go over to the new house and get muddy.
it's getting cold here (and the new yard is full of rubble and cat shiitake) but i want to get the collards in teh ground (they will survive the cold winter and transplant well), along with the rhubarb and maybe bring over some potted plants.
we will have to make raised beds or else fence off the food plant area (yard is small and the dogs are tenacious); the majority of the sun is in the front yard, and i'll be making raised beds and also gutter gardens.
sort of excited about the yard, sort of terrified wondering what the hell i was thinking, buying a house with such a shitty yard.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My neighbour just pressure washed their house. With a big jug of bleach. I watched helplessly from the window as all the bleach water blew over to my yard and back garden.
So much for organic veggies this year....

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:24 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i got collards, rhubarb, shiso, mint and oregano in the ground. the yard is only temporary (we will probably put a deck over about half of it, and the terrain is kind of weird (big slope with lots of fill that may shift, need to see what it does in rain)-- it is currently full of taro plants (huge elephant ear leaf-ed tubers) and castor bean plants that are taller than me. i was ripping out weeds and found a tall, white rooted mallow plant!!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:38 pm 

AmandaMelanie wrote:
My neighbour just pressure washed their house. With a big jug of bleach. I watched helplessly from the window as all the bleach water blew over to my yard and back garden.
So much for organic veggies this year....

Bleach isn't exactly a pesticide, and not very harmful in certain quantities. Many people use diluted bleach to kill blight and other soil diseases. The bleach used to pressure wash houses is diluted, full strength bleach would harm the siding/paint. Go give your plants a good rinsing and soaking to further dilute the bleach that sprayed over, and you are still going to have a delicious organic garden.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:41 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Yesterday I took my seedlings outside in their starter packs to enjoy the sun, and by the time I got home they weren't looking so good. A few leaves were white, almost transparent. Like they got bleached in the sun. I transferred them to my raised beds last night, hopefully they survive. If not, I guess I'll be paying up for the garden center started plants. Guess I should have just left them inside for another day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 863 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next