| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:51 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Lift with your legs?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My cilantro (in a pot) has shot up and flowered, does this mean no more cilantro leaves ever?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:39 am 
Chip Strong

My neighbour has set up beer traps for slugs, which I dislike anyway, in the communal garden at the back of my flat but to make it worse, she has been emptying the dead slugs onto the garden table and just leaving them there. Every time I go into the back garden (which is pretty much every day as I have a patio door onto the garden) it's like there's a little slug graveyard all over the table. I just don't understand why she does that! Why not bin the slugs or chuck them in the compost or something instead of leaving their little bodies all over the table?!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:55 am 
Seagull of the PPK

cilantro, once it's shot up its flowers, probably wont do much, it will focus on getting seeds out of the flowers. when the flower stalk first shows up you can break it off but its days are numbered anyway. (unless you have some heat tolerant one, the ones i have bolt so fast in the summer but do GREAT in the winter)

I am taking advantage of an empty house for the long weekend to do some gardening stuff. i opened an ornamental bed in the front yard and found some of the largest spiders i've ever seen. upshot: i've laid the foundation for a lavender hedge. woo hoo!

and my passionfruit STILL aren't ripe. it's been at least two months that they are on the vine and green. come on already.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:15 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

yeah, if you want the leaves, make sure you get a slo-bolt variety. personally, i don't care about the leaves, so i plant a variety that produces large seeds. :-) mmmmmm coriander.

also, i think i've made a grave mistake getting rid of my oakleaf hydrangea. that thing brought in bees galore. i haven't really seen too many this year. maybe they're protesting my decision. sorry bees!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

see what you can let flower, maybe. i let my basil and basil likes (shiso, thai basil, brazilian basil) flower instead of deadheading them, which is new for me this year, and they were COVERED with bees. or else maybe a bee waterer (pie pan filled with marbles and then water, it's been floating around FB the last few weeks) might bring some more in.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:48 am 

oh, absolutely! cilantro is a total beneficial magnet. any plant with umbel flower heads bring in beneficials in droves.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

so i spent the whole day outside yesterday.

i opened up and walled off the last two beds with old roof tiles.
Pruned the passionfruit and then sprayed to keep the caterpillars away.
Fertilized the brussels sprouts and other brassicas.
Put "walking boards" in the bigger beds so i don't trample the soil when i get inside the bed.
Screened the soil in one of the new beds (full of rocks from construction while i was away).
Reinforced some of the terraces (the yard is a slope and i have boards holding in the dirt in terraces).
Redid the dirt in the "manger" planter (husband built this weird manger thing for parsley, it just doesn't do well there for some reason so i emended the soil, fluffed it all up, and decided to use it for scallion replanting instead).
Moved a pile of sand that had been attracting cats and scattered it around to fill holes and line the paths.

This garden bed stuff is such heavy work. i feel today like i went through the wringer. On the other hand, once the beds are dug, screened, and bordered, they are so much easier to care for and the dirt so much better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:48 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Wow torque, that is a lot of work! Congrats!

Yesterday we ate our first zucchini! Delicious! I had left one on the plant on friday evening because it was slightly too small for my taste, and by sunday it was almost too big already. They sure grow fast! I had bought two established plants, and then three of the seeds also sprouted, so now I have a jungle with 5 zucchini plants in a relatively small space. I just hope they find a way around each other!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:41 pm 
Hail Seitan!

We ate our first shiitake mushroom from logs we innoculated last year! Soooo delicious. I sauteed it in some olive oil with a bunch of shopped up garlic scapes from the garden, with a pinch of smoked salt, and it was superb.

I added that mix to a salad of mostly different greens and herbs from the garden, and I also cooked both me and my partner a vegan chicken patty to put on top of there, which I cooked in the same pan as the mushroom and scapes after they were done cooking, and my partner pronounced it the best vegan chicken patty he's ever eaten (they are a common quick-easy-dinner component for us). I am pretty sure the secret was cooking it in the leftover shiitake juices.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:17 pm 

EEEEEEEEE! i saw a baby mantis in my pepper patch!!!

i've also been seeing more dragonflies and damselflies than usual, which is really nice. eat those skeeters!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:21 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

So after I harvest my greens bed, what can I plant in there until the fall when I can do another round of greens? Beets?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:20 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

pole beans? they grow fast and like heat.
if you can get good sized starts, cucumbers? zucchini?

i never did beets in the US, here they're a year round crop so i'm not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:53 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I finally tended to my plot after a long while of neglect! Harvested a bunch of lettuce and had a yum salad. My italian parsley is bolted and huge, so I'm going to let it do it seedy thang. I had planted a bunch of flower seeds ages ago and still nothin' from any of them, which leads me to believe they probably did germinate and sprout up, but then in one of my neglect-y times in heat spells, they died. It's been months, and even if I planted them at not the right depth, I was also fairly random/casual with depths and scattering, so I'd think that some would have at least come up. There's this one particular weed/volunteer that I left when I initially weeded my plot cause it looked kinda cute, and now it's AMAZINGLY CUTE. I'll have to take a pic and see if anyone knows it. I got some grafted tomatoes and cukes for free, so I planted those and now that's what my plot is going to be all about. Oh, and lots of volunteer potatoes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:25 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I have cukes and zukes already. I have four zucchini plants. Why? Why did I do that?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:08 pm 

definitely beans. bonus, they'll bring some nitrogen back in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:19 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I have a wee baby cantaloupe about the size of a golf ball in my garden! I'm so excited. Also, three ginormous cucumbers with more to come!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey all, looking for some advice! I stupidly let four cucumber starts go in a pot that's only big enough for two. I understand that the roots are super temperamental and don't want to end up without any. Should I:

(a) Attempt to remove two plants and transplant them to another pot, hoping all four won't die from the disturbance; or

(b) Cut two of the plants at the base so the soil remains undisturbed.

I'd love if I could have all four growing, but not sure if it's worth the risk of transplant. Thanks!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:32 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I would try to pull out two. I always read to never repot or transplant cucurbits (?) but have since bought wonderfully happy cukes, squash, etc starts that seemed to have no problems at all. Do it when the soil is nice and moist and soft and see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Okay, well, I pulled one. Looks okay so far, but wish me luck. The other three have flowers already, so I'm trying to keep them stable.

Meanwhile, we pulled 36 heads of garlic!! And our beans are coming like crazy :))))

mrsbadmouth, I also suggest beans, but if you want to add in another green, bok choy is a great summer veggie to grow!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:59 am 

eeeeee! little baby watermelons! i've never grown watermelons before. i'm so excited!

i found 2 holes in 2 of my green beans, and found a fat green caterpillar in the rinse water. (those beans went to the dog) :-)

i've left some "volunteers" to grow in the front yard along with the veggies. the first turned out to be a "flower of the hour" some sort of malvaceae, and googling it sounds like it's pretty weedy, so i pulled it out even though it was kind of pretty. the other thing is about 2 feet tall right now, it has hand-sized carrot-ish leaves on a plant with a sturdy stem. (and the stem has a purple hue to it) it hasn't flowered yet, so we'll see. unless you guys might know what it is. the leaves when crushed just smell like grass.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:35 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i feel stupid asking this but the leaves are carrot shaped or shaped like carrot leaves? if they're like carrot leaves there is a purple-tinged variant of queen ann's lace that is crazy deadly poisonous, you'd easily find it online, that gets tall. i think both of them have a distinct smell though, not just like grass.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:10 am 

Does anyone have a great solution for removing aphids from broccoli heads? I don't mind so much while they are one the plant because they are almost ready to pick so a few more days won't be an issue, but yesterday I had to throw away most of the two steamed broccoli I prepared because they were full of aphids (how did I not notice before steaming??!). I read around the web about soaking the florets in water with salt (and maybe vinegar), can anyone confirm?
Thank you!!!

Also: my boyfriend declared our broccoli not vegan because of the aphids. Am I a bad vegan for squashing them? J/K.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:00 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I don't imagine they'd stay alive long if soaked in salt. Soap solutions should also work. Aphids are pretty easy to kill, maybe not so easy to remove if they're right in there though?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:25 am 

Yeah, they are easy to scrape off the stalks but inside the florets is where it gets tricky. I am spraying the plants with a soap solution already, I hope it will help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next