| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:36 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

on the living plant, that's what i do- soap solution.
when you're eating it, you have a few options- soaking in salt water, vinegar water, or the big guns- bleach water. we have snails with parasites here and if there are snails on plants (my nappa cabbage, always) they get a few minutes in bleach water (a cap, maybe 15ml/L) and then lots of rinsing. Whatever the case, the bugs don't like being immersed in it and will get off the stem to float to the surface, and can be rinsed away (strong pressure spray will wash any outliers away). I think for salt or vinegar solution the concentration has to be pretty strong, though. And I hate to use bleach on my food, when I first saw our family do it for their produce i was horrified, but then i learned about snail parasites, and decided it was worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:04 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Thanks, that's good to know!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:49 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

finally trimmed all the finished canes from the boysenberry patch and secured the new ones up to the wire against the garage. next year i am definitely going to deal with them differently. (this year, i had to reach through the new canes to the back where the fruits were. next spring i will move all the fruiting canes to a new line of wire a foot in front of the garage and let the new canes climb up the garage.) we couldn't even mow the lawn there because the new canes were sprawling on the ground. bleh. (but i was also hand weeding the sheer mass of plantains out of the lawn at the same time, so we wouldn't have mowed anyway.)

catbirds are smart. they didn't even think twice about the scare eye things and CDs and plastic snakes. the robins seem not to mind them either. but i can get a handful of blueberries each morning as long as i go out there early enough. (i don't want to have to deal with bird netting since they're against the fence, and it'd just be a pain in the butt to manage.)

i have 8 varieties of tomatoes in the ground, and only one seems to be susceptible to blossom end rot. or maybe it's just in a section of ground that has less calcium than the others? anyway. it's ananas noire that's not doing well. i'll add some calcium and see how it does then.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:20 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i need to go buy more calcium fertilizer--- still. it`s been months and i still haven`t gotten around to it.

i also am trying to sprout goji berry seeds- looks like they should do OK here if i can get them to wake up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Picked my first ripe tomatoes today! Eeeee!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:33 am 

my first year really growing melons, and i've learned that it's better in the long run to separate your seedlings into their own cells than to have one larger pot with 5 plants in it.

during the early spring, the ones in pots together looked much nicer, since they were supporting each other and staying short, whereas the ones separated into their own cells (i used the cells that had 4 per section. so 32 of these cells would fit in a full flat.) were really lanky and flopped all over.

so, now that those plants have more space for their roots, they're doing much better than the crowded ones. so for next year, i'll just figure out a way to support the melons while they're in separate pots. trial and error. (too bad i didn't separate the charentais. it doesn't seem like they're flowering at all. :-(

as for these uncovered blueberries, going out to pick 2x a day seems to be better. they seem to ripen quicker than i was initially noticing. this was a great year for this shrub! if it keeps up, and i start getting a good amount from the others i've planted, i'll have to start freezing them. :-)

pulled out some yucky green beans that were wasting space and running all over the place. (i'm not the only person with this problem. turns out there was a bad batch of tenderpod from burpee this year.) http://reviews.burpee.com/1031/prod000603/reviews.htm
i had amazing success with maxibel, so those are going in that space today. yum yum!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:38 am 
Seagull of the PPK

snow peas are so happy. put in yet another type of kale (red russian), the dino is doing really well.

supercarrot, it never ceases to amaze me how much i keep learning as i do this whole garden/plant thing. most people i know would probably say i'm the plant lady (and you too, considering your experience, right?) but still, every season i feel like i make some sort of big discovery.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:05 am 

seriously! it seems like i'm learning more out in the world with dirt between my fingers than i did in school. (although, maybe that's disingenuous. my schooling did provide a pretty good base knowledge.)

also, my chard is growing beautifully! (i hadn't picked any ever since the CSA started up 1.5 months ago, so it's gotten its photosynthesis on big time.) and no more leaf miners! i would come out every day earlier in the season and crush the miners that were in the leaves.

i know beans are supposed to be self pollinating, but i'm wondering if i should toss these big pods since the "tenderpods" may have been flowering close to the ones i want to collect seeds from. hmmmm. maybe. i have a good amount of maxibel and blue lake seeds still, so maybe i won't bother collecting any just yet. as for jade and dragon tongue, it didn't really seem like they produced all that much. but maybe they'll bloom more later. we'll see.
my only problem right now is that the melons and zucchinis are being visited by cucumber beetles, and i have no idea where my yellow sticky cards are. :-(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:35 am 

Apparently my broccoli aphids like the broccoli too much, and even soaking the head in a strong salt solution overnight didn't get rid of all of them. They are really tenacious! I spent a long time with a strong jet of water into each floret and they are still there. Next step: bleach solution.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:47 am 
Seagull of the PPK

oh bummer. and you can't soak the broccoli that long, even in just salt solution i think it ruins the texture of the veg. when i do it i make it very strong with vinegar or salt (or weak with bleach- a capful in a liter of water), weight the vegetable down so it doesn't float, and let it soak for maybe half an hour. then prolific rinsing.

my little bitty broccoli head is almost ready to harvest. and the fennel this year has been AWESOME. i wish i had planted more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:54 pm 

next year grow them under either floating row covers or a fine weave fabric. that's good because you never have to take it off since you don't need pollination.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:40 pm 

baker creek has free shipping today. rareseeds.com
"Seeds, bulbs, and garlic are all included in this free shipping offer. Order now! Free Shipping Today July 24th Only! (use code FALLSHIP valid today only 7-24-14)"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:07 am 

Someone on a farming community suggested compost tea, saying she's been feeding all her plants compost tea since they sprouted and has had no aphids or any other pest. Not sure if it would work also after the plants are already infested, but I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:03 am 

are you doing any companion plantting? this is the first year i've really focused on really companion planting, and i haven't noticed any aphids or cabbage worms. (i've seen holes in the cabbage, as well as moths flitting around but every time i look at the leaves, there's nobody on them, or extremely small guys. and i haven't sprayed BT since spring when everything was still little and the companion plants weren't blooming.)

i have borage, marigolds, i let my onions flower, and right now i have flowering daikon and radishes. my only problem seems to be the cucumber beetles on my melons, and i found out that i can bait my sticky traps (i found them BTW) with a drop of clove or allspice oil to attract the females to the trap. also to drench the soil near the roots with neem to kill any larvae. it's too late to spray with hot pepper wax, since i don't want to hurt the bees.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:27 am 

Unfortunately I didn't think of companion planting at all, I have the broccoli, cabbage, cauliflowers, and fennel all next to each other, not the best idea! This is also the first time I try these plants so it's been a learning experience, next year it will be better!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:42 am 

just remember to plant the fennel away from most everything next year. it apparently doesn't play well with many plants. (my kale grew okay next to it last year, so i'm sure you're fine the way you are this year.) also, your fennel should attract beneficials once it flowers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:18 am 
Seagull of the PPK

oh really?? i have my fennel next to peas, sage, and some nappa cabbage, i guess. oops!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:33 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i did so much today that i HURT.

I weeded all the paths (my garden beds are walled in with ceramic tiles to stop the invasive grasses, which are now confined to the paths), weeded the collard green patch, cut up branches that were in the corner of the yard, went and bought wood shavings, spread that all over the garden, then put nitrogen fertilizer on top of that, then wet it all down. I need to add something nice and soft to the dirt and my compost won't be ready for at least another 4 months, so wood shavings is the easiest thing i can do right now.
Then opened up a new bed for where the collard greens are going to go -- their current bed is the only one i haven't taken the stones out of the soil and really, really improved the soil, and I'm hoping to get some collards established in the new bed so that i can work on the old bed - let it rest for a few months. The whole yard is on a slope, and the new bed is very steep, so it involved driving piles and making a terrace, then adding more tiles to hold the soil in. Then ripping out the roots (that part of the yard, two years ago, was where a bunch of sod got dumped, so it's full of invasive grasses).

Oh yes, i scavenge the tiles, so it involved going out to liberate the tiles and then haul them home. damn, i`m going to sleep well tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:35 pm 

well, i just saw a giant wasp flying low to the ground and saw something else quickly stick it's head out of a hole in the ground when it approached. pretty sure they were cicada killers? time for me to stop gardening in bare feet!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:34 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I have SO MANY teeny tomatoes.

Usually I give away cherry tomatoes because I like sharing my garden and that's always the most prolific thing, but i've already given some away so this seems like a good time to actually do something. Tomato jam? I found this recipe:

http://foodinjars.com/2010/09/tomato-jam/

It seems interesting.

Also, a little garden snark if I may. Our neighbors hired some people to come out and rip up every bed in their yard and fill them all with rocks. Around their back deck, in the front corner of their back yard around the tree, the front, and on the side. The side actually had real plants in it but I guess they didn't feel like dealing with anything, one of them was a flowering bush so it's a shame. Also we live in a neighborhood with decently landscaped yards, I think they had a landscaping party a few years back because a lot of the houses have the same plants in the front. But anyway, I told Brian that they probably don't want to deal with weeds which is hilarious because we have a rock bed around the tree right behind our back door and it's ALWAYS full of weeds and I hate it because rocks get everywhere, and since I don't want to spray the back yard ever because of the dogs, it's a pain. Rock beds are the worst, I guess unless you live in the desert.

Sure enough, we were walking through our side gate last night and several weeds have already popped up.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:37 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Oh, and that yellow tomato has black powdery, i'm assuming, mold on the butt. Is that going to happen to all of the tomatoes on that plant? I rarely have tomato problems with when I do, they're always with the Mr. Stripey plants so I don't know why I buy them.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:44 pm 

that's most likely blossom end rot. add some calcium. sometimes it makes them not tasty, so you can pull any of those that have an end that looks like it might turn moldy off and let the new babies absorb the calcium. (the fruits only absorb the calcium when they're starting to grow)

as for the rocks, you can also get a flame weeder. (as a benefit, you probably won't have a problem with fire. usually with flame weeders, you need to spritz water afterwards, but the rocks would be cold enough.)

mr stripey didn't really grow all that well for me last year either. big sky brandy is growing pretty well for me this year. do you want me to send you some seeds? http://www.tom8toes.com/index.php/big-sky-brandy.html

(also, did you know you can get free seeds from wintersown.org?)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:21 pm 

i finally identified the weed i let bloom. turns out it's ragweed. (i'm so sorry allergic neighbors!!!! i had no clue!) it spreads by rhizomes. :-(((((((

and dude! the stem gets huge! (oops!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:06 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm getting there with the taming of the jungle! It looks a lot more spacey out there now. I just have 4 more failed hedging shrubs and some serious weeding down the back to take care of.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:12 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ragweed, huh? wow! did it flower?

Guess what? My goji berries, from a 5 year old (at least) bag, sprouted on moist cotton after about 2 weeks!! i just transplanted the tiny tiny sprouts today and we'll see if they live.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next