| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:24 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

yeah. it flowered, and it didn't have any petals. it was just a spike of tiny anther-y clusters. now that it's cut down, it'll be easier to back out of the driveway. :-) i did have to leave some of the roots in the ground. hopefully it hadn't developed it's rhizomes yet.

good luck with your gojis. :-)

my tigger melons and zucchini have powdery mildew. bleh. sprayed some copper on them yesterday. hopefully it won't rain tomorrow. (theres a 50% chance, so i'm not holding my breath.) they do look slightly better today.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:57 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ugh, powdery mildew. i pretty much have given up on squash and zucchini. although while i was gone, volunteer butternut squash did great- but zucchini seem to get it the worst.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:59 am 
Level 7 Vegan

My tomato leaves are turning purple/black. This late in its life, can it be due to the cold? It's been under 10C (50F) at night lately.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i have only had yellow/black, not sure about the purply. tomatoes can tolerate pretty cold, we are on the verge of frost all winter and the leaves will turn brown, not black. i would think some kind of fungus or blight.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:56 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I have SO MANY teeny tomatoes.

Usually I give away cherry tomatoes because I like sharing my garden and that's always the most prolific thing, but i've already given some away so this seems like a good time to actually do something. Tomato jam? I found this recipe:

http://foodinjars.com/2010/09/tomato-jam/

Only just seen this, but wow, your vegetables look beautiful! I think tomato jam sounds pretty exciting. Or a tomato chutney?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:15 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

aelle wrote:
My tomato leaves are turning purple/black. This late in its life, can it be due to the cold? It's been under 10C (50F) at night lately.

Yeah a bit of cold can turn leaves purple, so can phosphorus deficiency if it has used up most of the nutrients in the soil. A bunch of other things can do it too, it's normally not something to freak out about but black is not really a colour tomato leaves should be!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:39 am 
Seagull of the PPK

we haven't had a good rain in at least a month, and the aphids are going nuts. they were already taking over all the brassicas, especially My Precious Brussels Sprouts, but then they put their little feeties on my dino kale and i said, nope, time to get out the big guns.
So I just mixed up a concoction that involved 100g of ground fresh garlic sitting in oil overnight, and then strained it and mixed it with soapy hot water and sprayed the precious planties. Here's hoping the aphids decide to find a new place to live. I've never had much luck with getting rid of aphids with plain soapy water.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:28 pm 

My beans are going to be ready to harvest soon! I'm so excited, I love fresh beans. Looks like I've got quite a few, too. Also cherry tomatoes are finally getting colour.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:26 pm 

i harvested my first bunch of grapes. they're delicious!!!! pretty sure they're thompson seedless. they're rather small, but the flavor is intense!

there were a lot of cobwebs on them, so when i put them in a bowl to rinse the cobwebs off, out came a multitude of spiders. next time, i'll drench the bunch before cutting it off. :-) there were at least 6 different types of spideys in that one bunch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:30 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ah, i loved growing grapes!! we did get a lot of wildlife in them, now that i recall. they made AMAZING juice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:32 pm 

it's great, too, because they're shading the bricks on the south side of the house, so it seems like i'm using less energy to cool. best decision ever!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My complex is all up in my business about my dead plants being eyesores. Hey, maybe I'm conserving water because of this damn drought! (I'm not, just lazy).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:22 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I don't have a garden but have been growing tomatoes on my balcony this year. I wasn't sure how well it would turn out since it only has morning sun, but it's been awesome. I have one plant with Sub Arctic Plenty, one plant I was gifted from a fellow grower that I don't know the variety of, but it has big meaty lovely tomatoes. I also planted i new to me variety called Vilma, which is a very small plant (pictured above) with tiny tomatoes. I'm so surprised with how much tomatoes I have actually gotten. I have probably harvested about 50 so far, and I just counted how many is still on the plants:

Vilma: 284 (on six plants)
Unknown: 19
Sub arctic plenty: 35

Yay for tomatoes without a garden!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:56 am 

they look great! nice and dark. they're definitely getting enough sun. i, too, am amazed at how prolific my cherry tomatoes have been.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

great plants and what a beautiful photo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:05 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Nice tomatoes pannkakan! My cherry tomatoes are also the only ones that have turned red so far. I have tons of beefsteak tomatoes but they are all resolutely green, no matter how much sun they get.

I have/had three cauliflowers which I started from seed. The plants developed nicely and a couple of weeks ago tiny cauliflowers appeared, smaller than my fist. So I left them on the plant thinking they would grow into decent-sized cauliflowers, and next thing I know they have gone and flowered! *sadface*
I don't know the first thing about growing cauliflowers (although ignorance seems to be a theme for all my growing not just for cauliflowers...) so I have no idea what I did wrong.

On the positive side the leftover stalks of the broccoli plants which I left in the ground after cutting the broccoli have produced tiny new broccoli! I left those to flower too, this time on purpose though. The same thing seems to be happening to the fennel bulbs, yay for extra veggies! And I have a mighty fine yellow bell pepper waiting to be picked.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:22 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i did cauli once and i got, i swear, pencil eraser size cauliflower! this was in the old house, where the dirt wasn't great, but in this new house my dirt seems to make great nappa cabbage, so maybe i will try cauliflower again. i mean, next fall, i guess, since it's late. i think cauliflower needs to enjoy cold weather, and bolts when it gets the chance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:20 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Maybe next year I will start the seeds later so they might get a chance to colder weather, good idea!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:36 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i got a carload of sugar cane mulch today!!
i went to sneak the used up canes from the cane juice guy (there is a guy with a truck that presses the juice to sell-- he parks a few blocks from my house) and he CAUGHT ME! then he was like, oh, wait til you see what i have, he had a whole huge bag of the fluffy little pieces that i can use as mulch (instead of just as the base for the next compost pile, which was the plan).
so i have awesome mulch down in a bed today.

nb: cleaning sugar cane mulch crumbs out of the car: HOURS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:07 pm 

that sounds heavenly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:11 am 

that "planting 4 watermelons in one hole" thing is biting me on the butt. the golden midget is doing very well, but the orangeglo keeps getting blossom end rot. (luckily it happens when they're mostly ripe, so i at least get half of a watermelon to eat.) speaking of, i really like that golden midget turns yellow when it's ready to harvest. i'm gonna eat that one tonight. i hope it's tasty. orangeglo was yummy. if i had more space, i would cross them and try to get the best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:38 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i have never had a watermelon work. maybe some day.....

the sugarcane attracted the fruit birds, who were being hooligans outside and hanging upside down off the hummingbird feeder. crazies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Everything but the peppers and tomatoes are dead or bolted. They were just requiring too much water to keep up and I was feeling overwhelmed and guilty. In fact, the only plants on my balcony that survived the summer were the fruit trees (barely) and the California natives. So it's decided--we're going native, baby! Today I picked up some local drought tolerant plans at the nursery--toyon, monkey flower, coastal daisy, and California lilac. Hopefully they'll attract some birds and bugs too. I'd love to see a cedar waxwing on my balcony!

I'm waiting to see what the weather is like before I start my fall garden. I might limit it to legumes though. The leafy greens were thirsty buggers last year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:33 am 

you could do a capillary mat. that's pretty low water usage, since the plants only take what they need. just make sure the water container is mostly lidded and the mat is enclosed in plastic where it isn't touching roots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks, SC! That's really helpful.

So, does the capillary mat go in the drip tray? It looks like from the pictures I found that you put the end in a bucket to wick water but I am not quite sure how I would do that with about 50 individually potted plants and not have it look really ugly (as in, they'd all have to bunch together to share one mat). Ideas?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next