| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: CSA 2014
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:06 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i signed up for my very first CSA!

im so psyched! it's gonna be hard to wait til June :-(

i hope i get lots of good stuff and not all turnips and lettuce!

we're splitting a "big box" with my parents.

yum!

Post subject: Re: CSA 2014
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:33 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm just about to print out my CSA form! So excited!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

are vegans the only ones who get this excited about produce??? hahaha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:35 pm 

i signed up for my first CSA too. i'm really nervous, because i dislike quite a few things. i am wondering if this might push me past my uncomfortable point with some veggies.

such as:
beets. no thank you. sweet dirt makes me nauseous.
radishes (although i got some mild radish and daikon seeds because they're awesome companion plants. we'll see if they're mild enough to actually eat)
quite a few greens. (hello bitter city)
fennel (ok, maybe i could get past the xylem/phloem if i cut it up into teeeeny tiny pieces. i'm a texture weirdo too.)
i'm sure there are others. i guess i'll pop in here when it comes up.

i do love that my pickup spot is just a bike ride away! a few years ago the closest spot was over a 15 minute drive away. (each way)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:02 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im not a radish fan either btu i find i can deal if it's sliced up in a salad like the dragon noodle salad from IDI calls for radishes.
i think my husband actually likes radishes though so i think i usually load him up and give me just a few. not sure what i would do with a CSA load of radishes though.

no advice on beets. i think you have to like them. not sure they are hidable.

i dont think i really like fennel either. ive eyed a couple recipes in IDI but didnt want to spend the money on something i dont think i like. if i get some at least i can try that.

im worried about getting a lot of bland root vegs like parsnips and turnips

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:11 am 

oh! i forgot about parsnips. yeah, i don't like them so much either, but not because they're bland. quite the opposite. they're too flavorful. i think i might remember stewing parsnips with a bunch of other things and being okay with them.

i had beets and liked them exactly one time. the russian tea room in chicago. it must have been a really slow cooked mishmash of root veggies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Sweet dirt is such a good way to describe beets! I like them roasted and chopped finely in salad, smothered with balsamic vinaigrette. Actually, that's how I eat most veggies I'm iffy about....I'm looking at you fennel.

Is there someone you can trade veggies with? Sometimes I can get friends to give me their greens in exchange for my turnips.

I'm waiting till my jobs starts to renew our csa box. It's so damn pricey! I'm a little worried because if my garden is as prolific as I'm planning, we might have veggie overload.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:00 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My husband & I have signed up for our very first CSA this year as well and our first pick-up is this weekend. I'm pretty excited but nervous.

I've been doing week-long menu planning for years now and we usually do our grocery shopping for the week on Saturday. Now we'll be picking up our box on Sat and I'll have to quickly come up with a menu based on what we're getting while trying to remain stress-free, ha! So I'm a bit anxious.

Also, beets. I know we'll get beets and my husband isn't a fan and I'm determined to make them delicious for him. Roasting, I guess? That salad sounds like a good idea Couroupita. Has anyone used them in smoothies or juiced them? That seems to be pretty popular these days.

I'm looking forward to hearing about everyone's experiences.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:46 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

All of you with veggie hates, will your CSA provide substitutes if you let them know? Some do. Zula, Beets are great in veggie smoothies and juices, but then, I love beets - and parsnips and fennel too! I've yet to develop a liking for bitter greens, but after years and years I've slowly moved from gagging at even the smell of cilantro to actually loving it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:47 pm 

Thanks Jill, good to know! I'm actually thinking of trying Isa's Beet Burgers 'cause she always knows what she's doing. I'm there with you on the cilantro. Well, I don't gag anymore, more like sometimes put it in instead of always leaving it out.

I see a lot of cucumbers in my future CSA this summer that my hubs and I will have to make ourselves come around to, but I'm focusing on pickling and topping on sandwiches. Always good, no?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:47 pm 

So our first pick-up was this past weekend. They had warned us that it was going to start off unusually light because the wacky weather took out some of their early greens.

We ended up with:

~1 bunch Rainbow Swiss Chard (oh how I've missed you!)
~1 bunch Green Onions
~1 Small Head of Looseleaf Lettuce
~1/2dz eggs :(
~Big Loaf of Bread handmade by the family's tween daughter
~Any 1 herb start we wanted ((I chose some gorgeous Thyme)

First off, we're vegetarians that eat about 90% vegan. I can't even remember the last time we had eggs in the house, at least a year ago or more. For various reasons we decided to use them this time. I'm pretty sure the eggs, bread & herbs were to supplement the lack of veggies. If they continue including them though, I'm either going to give them away or just ask not to include in our package.

I'm getting very long-winded here, but I'm hoping we can share recipe ideas that can benefit all of us with imagination & improvisation. So we used the eggs to make a scramble with swiss chard & green onions. I made a chocolate loaf cake with the remaining eggs. We used the lettuce to have delicious lunch salads with thinly sliced artichokes, shreds of carrot, hemp seeds & some seared Chickpea Cutlets with a Balsamic-Mustard dressing. We're going to have the bread on the side of some Lentil-a-Roni this week. I'm going to plant the Thyme, which was actually great to get because I was going to get some anyway. Even though it was very small this week, we did see a slight decrease on our grocery bill and I was pretty pleased overall.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Jill wrote:
All of you with veggie hates, will your CSA provide substitutes if you let them know? Some do. Zula, Beets are great in veggie smoothies and juices, but then, I love beets - and parsnips and fennel too! I've yet to develop a liking for bitter greens, but after years and years I've slowly moved from gagging at even the smell of cilantro to actually loving it.

Yup, I switched to a difference csa that allowed me to check off the veggies I didn't want. At one point I was getting a sugar pumpkin every week. That's waaaaay too much pumpkin!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:58 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Zula wrote:
First off, we're vegetarians that eat about 90% vegan. I can't even remember the last time we had eggs in the house, at least a year ago or more. For various reasons we decided to use them this time. I'm pretty sure the eggs, bread & herbs were to supplement the lack of veggies. If they continue including them though, I'm either going to give them away or just ask not to include in our package.

Let them know that you don't eat eggs and ask if they will substitute the eggs for more veggies next time! My CSA is super-good about that. They even have separate vegan shares to choose at the beginning of the season, but this past winter we chose the "shopping basket" share (veggies w/ local beans, grains, canned things, etc.) and they let us sub out the eggs for an equal amount of veggies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:24 pm 
Cranky

Let's keep the food talk vegan, please.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:23 am 

Thanks My Zoetrope, I will absolutely do!

I apologize Dr. Apricot and everyone; I certainly did not mean to offend.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:03 pm 

So last weekend's haul was good.

~2 bunches Collard Greens (Used in the Roasted Potato & Mixed Greens Gratin from Vegan Soul Kitchen-v. good!)
~1 bunch Mustard Greens (Used in above)
~2 1/2lb. Butternut Squash (Probabably most definitely to be used in IDI's alfredo)
~Detroit Dark Red Beets x2 (Isa's Beet Burgers- success!! The man & I both loooved them, so that problem's solved.)
~1 sm. bunch of Mint (Used in some gin/blood orange soda drinks)
~Xtra-lg. loaf of homemade bread (Toasted, side to the gratin)

I was very pleased. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:58 am 
Hail Seitan!

I have nothing to really contribute to this thread, other than my CSA starts at the end of May and I'm already super excited. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:22 pm 

Latest:

~Huge head of Red Cabbage (used in Fajitas, Roasted Brussels & Cabbage Soup)
~Kale (chips)
~Mustard Greens (Garlicky Braised Greens w/ Mushrooms & Hemp Seeds)
~Beets (Red Flannel Hash, + more for future)
~Spring Onions (Fajitas)

I can't wait until everyone else's CSA starts!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:07 pm 

mine doesn't start for another month and a half. :-(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:24 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So, I put our CSA box on hold until end of April when I thought I'd have a paying job, since it seemed like a luxury. WAH WAH. I'm still in school, unpaid, and I got surprised by a produce box on my doorstep yesterday!!

kale
beets
spring onions
shallots
red potatoes
carrots
enoki mushrooms
broccolini
clementines
lemons
apples
oranges
grapefruit
avocados
strawberries

There might be even more than I'm forgetting. Soooo much produce! I love it but I don't have time to cook right now, so I'm a bit overwhelmed!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:20 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Wow, they're doing a great job for you; you chose well. Make some fruit salads, stirfrys and some roasted veggies. None will take more than a few minutes of prep.

For the beets, you don't even need to peel them; just scrub them well, cut into 1/2 -3 /4 inch dice and toss a bit of olive oil and rosemary (or other herbs) and roast in the oven at 400 d. until tender (45 minutes - 1 hour), stirring every 15 minutes. At the end of roasting, I stir in a T. of tamari, or you could use OJ or balsamic vinegar instead, w/ a sprinkle of salt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Jill wrote:
Wow, they're doing a great job for you; you chose well. Make some fruit salads, stirfrys and some roasted veggies. None will take more than a few minutes of prep.

For the beets, you don't even need to peel them; just scrub them well, cut into 1/2 -3 /4 inch dice and toss a bit of olive oil and rosemary (or other herbs) and roast in the oven at 400 d. until tender (45 minutes - 1 hour), stirring every 15 minutes. At the end of roasting, I stir in a T. of tamari, or you could use OJ or balsamic vinegar instead, w/ a sprinkle of salt.

Those are great ideas, thanks! I was thinking stir fry because of those mushrooms; I think I remember an enoki dish in Kansha.

What do you like to do with roasted beets? I put them on salads and sometimes eat them as a side dish but that's pretty much it.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:37 am 

Last two CSA boxes:

Not much to base entrees around:
~Drunken Fizzy lettuce
~Teeny bunch of Kale
~Spring Onions
~Collards
~Lone Beet
~Italian Parsley

This week:
~Big Bunch of Kale (Kale salad from IDI)
~Spring Onions
~Asparagus!
~Head of Purple Lettuce
~Head of Green Lettuce
~Parsley
~Cilantro

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Lettuces
kale
fennel
potatoes
shallots
carrots
green beans
peas
grapefruit
avocado
strawberries
peaches (!!!)
Eureka lemons
valencia oranges

so much good stuff! I think we'll do a big salad, stir fry, make oven baked potato chips, and I'm finally going to try carrot greens pesto. I've been taking the fruit to work as an afternoon snack and it's great! I also just bought a juicer and made carrot apple juice from last week's box. It was delicious!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:35 am 

couroupita wrote:

so much good stuff! I think we'll do a big salad, stir fry, make oven baked potato chips, and I'm finally going to try carrot greens pesto. I've been taking the fruit to work as an afternoon snack and it's great! I also just bought a juicer and made carrot apple juice from last week's box. It was delicious!

What a fantastic haul! I'm jealous of all that delicious-sounding fruit!! :)

This week we got:

~Baby Swiss Chard (IDI's Shitake & Chard Fusilli-delicious!)
~a 3lb. head of Cauliflower (IDI Roasty Soba Bowl, plus extra probably turning into a ricotta for pizza)
~2 big heads of Lettuce (big salads)
~Kohlrabi (my first time time having this; used this recipe: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/kohlra ... h-caraway; it was very good)
~Spring Onions
~Cilantro

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next