| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 25, 2016 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summer 2016 Garden Chat
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:28 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yo. Let's talk gardens for this year. I'm doing my first raised beds as I finally have a yard. I'm growing my own starts of some heirloom varieties but they're still so teeny :( I think my basement was too cold for them so they didn't grow that big. I'll still plant them anyway, though. I have:

- marizol gold tomatoes
- black trifele tomatoes
- green tomatillos
- brussels sprouts
- black tuscan kale
- lemon cucumbers

And I'm just going to straight sow an heirloom beet variety, carrot variety and radish variety.

Plus I bought a couple commercial starts - a beefsteak tomato, tabasco pepper and something else that I forget.

I'm in Zone 6b so we're still under a freeze warning at nights so not yet. I'll just siiiiit tight.

Post subject: Re: Summer 2016 Garden Chat
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I am in zone 7B. Last year, we moved to our new place in June, and for the first time, we got an outside area! It was too late to do much last year, so I only had the usual suspects...basil, mint, rosemary and sage.

This year, I started seeds inside, and next weekend I am going to plant them outside:

Black Krim Tomatoes (huge heirloom tomatoes)
Little Blonde Girl Tomatoes (yellow cherry tomatoes)
Georgia Flame Hot Peppers

I also have, already outside:

Green Peas
Tennis Ball Lettuce (they are tiny heads of lettuce, basically 1 serving each)

and I planted and I am waiting for green beans and mini white cucumbers. I love watching the seeds grow and turn into strong little plants. They are so cute! I never did this before!

I am also going to give some of the seedlings to my mother and to my landlady downstairs. She will allow me to plant them in her backyard, and obviously she can take whatever she wants when they start producing...I don't mind sharing.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:02 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Last year, I moved into a new house, with a rather large, although undeveloped backyard. I inherited lots of wonderful perennial plants, like a comfrey patch, some plum trees, a fig, 6 blueberries, and some pretty ornamental things. The boundaries of the yard were overtaken by blackberry brambles (which is pretty common where I live, in Oregon). I spent a lot of energy last season just clearing new ground, hacking away at blackberry vines and pulling up bindweed (curses, this stuff plagues me). I built 4 raised beds out of cedar and set them up on the perimeter of the yard. One is entirely strawberries, and the others have hardy kiwi vines planted in them, and parsley and artichokes and garlic. They're transitioning into fully perennial vegetable beds.

So this year my focus has been building raised beds for annual vegetables, the fun things that I look forward to harvesting. I'm growing potatoes for the first time, and they've come a long way. Planted them beginning of April, and have hilled them up with soil a few times, then straw, and now they're fixing to bloom!

We have garlic growing that was planted last fall, an onion bed, a tiny pea patch, and a really glorious bean tepee that I can't wait to watch runner beans overtake. It'll make a nice shady spot in the summertime to read or nap.

I've been making raised beds from rock, because it's much faster than getting wood and cutting it and putting it together, and it works with my yard better than angular beds, I think. It's less productive, but just feels better to me.

Tonight I planted (with the help of my partner) 6 Ropreco Paste tomatoes. I'm usually a cherry girl but I want to attempt to make sauce and can it for the winter.

Here's hoping I can keep up with watering once the summer drought comes on.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

How fun!

I have my best ever garlic crop going STRONG! I am so excited about it. I think it's because I finally planted it on time (instead of a couple months late like I usually do), plus it finally rained this winter, for the 1st time in years, and my garlics are huge and green and mighty!

I just planted all my tomatoes a few weeks ago and they get bigger and bigger every day. For now I am still watering them, but soon I'll let them take over and dry farm them. I don't know what kind they are because this year I planted all volunteers that just popped up on their own! I call it my Volunteer Army. Last year I had lots of cherry tomatoes and several heirlooms too, and I think a couple of Early Girls... so it's kinda fun having no idea what will grow this year!

Also at a plant sale last weekend I bought 4 butternut squash starts, in memory of my grandparents who always grew SO MUCH butternut squash each year. And an eggplant start too, because I couldn't resist. I'll get them in the ground this weekend.

This morning I picked 55 huge snails off my orange trees and moved them very far away to a part of the yard where they are free to enjoy the weeds. But get off my citrus trees, you jerks!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:33 am 
Not NOT A Furry

ameyfm wrote:

I just planted all my tomatoes a few weeks ago and they get bigger and bigger every day. For now I am still watering them, but soon I'll let them take over and dry farm them.

What does it mean to dry farm them?

This is my first time growing tomatoes. I don't have an actual backyard. It's a covered deck, but other than the top, the light is pretty much unobstructed on all the open sides. My plants need sunlight, but I am not sure on which side they would do best. The sides to choose are east, south and west. I'm thinking west, because the light seems to last longer on that side. Or maybe south. I also have the landing outside my front door, which is on the west side, but pretty much in the sun all day long. It will probably get too hot in the summer, but I'm thinking the hot peppers will like that spot.

Decisions, decisions!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:57 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Sisterlegume, I grew Ropreco last year and they have so little juice they worked great mixed with other tomatoes for sauce. I do a mix of all my tomatoes, roast in the oven at about 275 for 4 hours or so, then blast them in my vitamix. But when tasted fresh, Ropreco had less flavor than any tomato I've ever grown.

Angelina, the books all say that tomatoes need at least 6 hours of sun to produce well. But from my experience you'll still get some with less. Morning light is supposed to be best for plants, so if all sides get equal hours of sun, choose that. South would also be good if it gets sun a little earlier than west.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:09 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Ack!

I had the best of intentions this year. I planned out my veggie garden and put planting dates on my calendar and everything, but now I'm going to be scrambling to get stuff in the ground. I've currently got peas, beets, radishes, kale, onions, lettuce, spinach, and mustard greens in the ground. I need to get started on carrots, squashes, cukes, tomatoes, and beans. Oh, and corn! Hopefully early next week...

With ornamentals, I'm going a bit more freestyle, though I'm behind there as well. I want to put in a flower bed next to our shared driveway to provide a bit of a screen, but alas, no time for that either. I've got a bunch of weird beds with some good stuff and some super annoying stuff, like some shrubs that want to take over that I'd really rather just get rid of but haven't had the time to dig out.

Sigh.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:21 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

JP you have plenty of time. Especially since you have a warm, sunny site you can plant most still on your list through mid June. And I usually plant carrots for late fall and winter harvest in early July.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Jill wrote:
Sisterlegume, I grew Ropreco last year and they have so little juice they worked great mixed with other tomatoes for sauce. I do a mix of all my tomatoes, roast in the oven at about 275 for 4 hours or so, then blast them in my vitamix. But when tasted fresh, Ropreco had less flavor than any tomato I've ever grown.

Ahahaha, that is hilarious and sad. I grew them from seed because their description said something like, 'Finally, a paste tomato that also tastes great fresh'. We'll see how it goes.

I love hearing about all the stuff people are growing!

My current garden woe is that sowbugs are eating my bean plants. This is the price I pay for using rocks to build garden beds. Excellent habitat for sowbugs.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:07 pm 
Married to the wolfman

So I started a bunch of stuff indoors between January and March... almost everything has moved outside now. I have a crazy number of tomato plants. 9 or 10? Most of them are from mystery heirloom seeds I bought. Two are fruiting now! So exciting!

I have a very lovely bell pepper plant that has many flowers and tiny adorable peppers on it. Also the smallest, most compact wax pepper plant-- also with flowers and fruit. There's a big lovely eggplant with one (closed) flower on it finally. I have a couple more misc peppers around (including a bunch of hot peppers I haven't planted out yet) and some herbs... purple basil, rosemary, mint (inherited!!!). And some garlic!

But the most beautiful thing right now are the scarlet runner beans. I tried these in SC last year and got two measly blossoms out, and no beans. This year I have a big wall of purple and pink flowers! So so pretty. I'm hopeful that they'll produce a bean or two too!

Tonight I planted some hyssop and more purple basil in a planter. I have established (inherited) lavender, gotta get more purple in there.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Angelina ~ dry farming tomatoes is a method of farming where you deeply water the tomato plants for a little while, pretty much until they start to grow fruit. And then you stop watering them. The deep watering helps them establish a good tap root. Dry farming tomatoes results in fewer tomatoes, slightly tougher skins, and mega amazing tomato flavor. Also, the tomatoes are never mealy (that happens from over-watering) and are great for canning because they aren't super liquidy. They are really dynamite.

here's an article I found about it
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_20181673/master-gardener-dry-farming-tomatoes-increased-flavor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

coldandsleepy - that sounds like a great garden scene! Gardening over the hill is really fun because there's so much more heat.
Also, Scarlet Runners are so beautiful, aren't they??

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:44 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, Jill. I am going to plant a bunch of stuff next week (and re-plant some areas where the dog dug around and disturbed the beds). I was just excited to be on the ball and have a schedule. :)

Has anyone here done any DIY landscaping? I mentioned wanting to put in a flower bed along the driveway, and D got all gung ho about ordering a couple pallets of landscaper stones and cleaning up existing beds as well as putting in a new one.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:27 pm 
Married to the wolfman

amey, it is really different! A lot of the tomato problems I grew to anticipate in SC haven't struck yet and my plants are already fruiting. (Of course, in SC, I would have only just planted them out!)

The runner bean flowers are so pretty, I don't care if I get any beans out or not.

Today I planted out a few of my hot peppers! I have been trying to grow Candlelights, which are these super pretty bushy things. I've germinated like 2 dozen and killed SO many... but I've got a group of six now that are doing really really well. If I get one functional pepper plant out I'll call it a win!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:35 pm 
Tofu Pup

I don't have a yard so everything is in pots, but I'm growing a Verte fig tree, supersweet 100 and sungold tomatoes, and a bunch of herbs: sage, oregano, mint, parsley, basil, and sorrel. Herbs seem like the best bang for my buck as they are easy to grow and are so expensive to buy in grocery stores.

Oh! Also a Japanese peony plant and some johnny jump ups, because flowers are pretty!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:21 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Well, I got my beans, summer squash, and cucumber seeds in the ground, and re-planted some beets, carrots, and chard that the dog stomped on. I think my radishes are about ready, but they're growing longer and thinner instead of rounder and fatter, so... :/ I do have nice looking lettuce and kale, though, so that's something, and the peas are coming up nicely. I need to order some stout bamboo to make some supports for them, since right now, I've just got dinky bamboo stakes that are going to fall over.