| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slugs!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:42 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Slugs have decimated our lettuce nearly overnight! They are everywhere! When I pull out the remains of lettuce, the roots are swarming with wee little slugs. It's disgusting.

How do I keep them from spreading and destroying the rest of the garden? Mrdub read stale beer will attract them, but how do we get them out of the soil?!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Slugs!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:27 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I broadcast Sluggo around lettuce and other plant starts that are especially vulnerable. The initial formulation (not Sluggo Plus) only attracts and kills slugs and is organic and non-toxic to people or pets. If you're finding baby slugs on the roots, they probably recently hatched in the soil or else they're hunkering down there during daylight hours and will come up to the surface at night.

I also hand (gloved) collect slugs at dusk/dawn or with a flashlight after dark during especially bad infestations.

Post subject: Re: Slugs!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'll have to look for Sluggo. Would it help to spread it now that we've pulled all the dead lettuce? Or should I wait until we plant next spring? I'm assuming the frost over winter will "clean" our soil. We pulled a bunch if other plants just to check the roots, and they looked safe even though we found alike trails on the leaves.

We actually did go out last night and mrdub hand-picked a bunch, while I grossed out at how many we found! Ew, they are so nasty!