| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nyc Horticultural Society Opening 2/17 with free beer!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This looks like fun. I wish I could go but I have to put my son to bed! Darnit. So figured I'd post here if anyone else would like to go.

Hudson Valley Seed Library’s
Art of the Heirloom

February 17 – March 2, 2012

Opening reception:
Friday, February 17, from 6pm to 8pm
Refreshments provided by Brewery Ommegang and Tuthilltown Spirits & Hudson Whiskey

Celebrating the intersection of art and agriculture, Art of the Heirloom showcases the 23 original works commissioned by the Hudson Valley Seed Library for their annual Art Pack collection. The exhibition features works in a variety of media and styles, including a graphic rendering of Mammoth Long Island Dill by Lynne and Richie Bittner, Melissa Mandel’s anthropomorphic Sparkler Radishes sculpted in felt, a forest scene of Evergreen Bunching Scallion painted by April Warren, and cartoonist Will Sweeney’s illustrative homage to the Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato. These imaginative interpretations are only a few examples of how the artists in the show have captured the character and diversity of the Seed Library’s evocatively-named heirlooms.

On view in the Project Gallery:
Sculptures by Gregg Moore

Hudson Valley Seed Library Pop-Up Shop
During the course of the exhibition, the Hort will host a pop-up shop selling seed packs and fine art prints of the works in the show, as well as other items from the Seed Library. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Hort and our social service programs.

Acknowledgements
We would like to thank the following sponsors for supporting the Hudson Valley Seed Library and this exhibition: Crossroads Hydroponics and Organics, Catskill Native Nursery, Glynwood, Brewery Ommegang, and Tuthilltown Spirits & Hudson Whiskey.

Images (from top to bottom): Ustya Tarnawsky, Edible Amaranth Mix, dyed and embroidered fabric; Lynne & Richie Bittner, Mammoth Long Island Dill, mixed media drawing; Will Sweeney, Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato, digital print; and Florence Gidez, Jenny Lind Melon, silkscreen on wood panel. All images courtesy of Hudson Valley Seed Library.