| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Have you started your fall garden yet?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:06 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

jewbacca wrote:
What do you feed your tomatoes, Molly?

I grow them straight in compost. I just have comical bad luck with growing things. The first year they got some sort of bug/disease that acted like squash vine borers. They just fell over dead one day. I had some animal eat all my seedlings last year. And this year the temperature has been too hot most of the summer for anything but cherry tomatoes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:08 am 
ol' garly cooch

mollyjade wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

I grow them straight in compost. I just have comical bad luck with growing things. The first year they got some sort of bug/disease that acted like squash vine borers. They just fell over dead one day. I had some animal eat all my seedlings last year. And this year the temperature has been too hot most of the summer for anything but cherry tomatoes.

Depending on what compost you use, your plants might not get enough of the nutrients they need to fruit and flower. Two major factors play a role in that part of plant production: time spent in light and amounts of P and K that is absorbed by the plant.

Fruiting and flowering plants need 12 hours of light 12 hours of rest. They also need lots of Phosphorous and Potassium to trigger the fruit and flower stage. In addition to the P and K tomatoes also need calcium and magnesium to prevent diseases like blossom end rot. I know many gardeners advocate for compost only feeding, but if you think about it people don't like to eat just one kind of food. Plants don't like to eat one kind of compost as well. Change your plants food and see if that helps. Gardening is science with a dash of luck not the other way around.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:16 pm 

jewbacca wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

Depending on what compost you use, your plants might not get enough of the nutrients they need to fruit and flower. Two major factors play a role in that part of plant production: time spent in light and amounts of P and K that is absorbed by the plant.

Fruiting and flowering plants need 12 hours of light 12 hours of rest. They also need lots of Phosphorous and Potassium to trigger the fruit and flower stage. In addition to the P and K tomatoes also need calcium and magnesium to prevent diseases like blossom end rot. I know many gardeners advocate for compost only feeding, but if you think about it people don't like to eat just one kind of food. Plants don't like to eat one kind of compost as well. Change your plants food and see if that helps. Gardening is science with a dash of luck not the other way around.

I'm certain my compost is OK. It's a mix from a local gardening store. Also, my tomatoes are flowering right now. I'm not currently having tomato problems.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:00 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
I'm not currently having tomato problems.

I totally jinxed myself here. We might be entering stage 3 water restrictions which will make it illegal to water your garden, even with a hose.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:26 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i've been in my new place in *northern california* for two weeks tomorrow and the third day i went to my new *food co-op* and they had *kale and pak toi starts*, so i got some and that is my fall garden for now. our yard here is pretty shady and i had to clear out the area for a garden, so i think that will be it for the fall/winter this year. everytime i go out back my son and i try to clear out a little of the nasty grass runners (i also covered the area with a bunch of cardboard boxes) in the little sunny patch so in the spring we can hopefully have a decent garden.

*things i am super excited about*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:48 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

so my fall garden just grew some more. Last week i picked up some broccoli to over winter and harvest in the spring and yesterday i added a bunch of napa cabbages. It turns out the guy behind me is a huge gardener, and earlier this week he offered some mustard greens but i have to figure out when he is home and get them. I am still digging out some kind of awful runner root grass in the one sunny area in the backyard, It looks like i need to dig it out and cover, maybe the one two punch will work so that is the spring i will have a little space. I will also need to move my greens out of the garden and into a shady area, since i have very little sun beyond were i have things already.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:00 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

jildez, that all sounds so exciting! It will be great to have a neighbor with experience gardening in your new climate.