| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gophers
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Gophers in my garden are threatening to turn me into Bill Murray from Caddy Shack. I don't want to kill them, but I don't want them to destroy my entire garden either! Please don't judge me form my homicidal ideation. I just want to do something to deter them that will actually work and which doesn't involve poison. I've seen suggestions about planting wire underground underneath your plants to keep them out, but it's too late for that this year and I also don't think I could manage that amount of digging realistically without hurting myself (our garden plot is rather large and I have a bad back).

Has anyone had any actual real-life experience with deterring gophers? I think my mister is getting so frustrated he might give up on our garden all together.

Post subject: Re: Gophers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:16 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Only thing I have heard of that doesn't involve killing is a sonic device. Whether it works or not I have no idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:12 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

All the advertisements I've seen on these devices make me feel like someone is selling me snake oil. Which could just be my allergy to advertising, but I hate feeling like a sucker. The problem is, there don't seem to be any reliable third-party consumer-reports-type tests on them that I can find. None of this means they don't work, it's just that like a lot of gardening-gadgets, they sort of fall into the same marketing black hole as kitchen choppers and no-sharpen knives. Some of them are fine and usable, and some are utter crepe. And there's not really any way to know which is which until you buy them or find a few other people who have to give you their honest opinion. And they're not cheap. Still, we should probably at least try it before either resorting to killing them or giving up entirely.

Damn gophers. So frustrating.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:12 am 
ol' garly cooch

Miz Mack- I've never heard of people complaining about the sonic devices, but we don't sell many of them here either. Prevention is the best formula for animal control. When it comes to gophers, moles, voles, and other burrowing critters, you have a few options:

Milky Spore Powder- this is a spore that kills Japanese beetle grubs, the main food source for burrowing critters. No food, the critter tunnels elsewhere. One to two applications is good for 15 years. It is a little pricey, but worth it.

Beneficial Nematodes- these pinworms are watered into your soil and will eat ANY INSECT with a soil stage. You do need to reapply them every 6-8 weeks and make sure your soil doesn't dry out or isn't in standing water. Many of our customers use this for insect control in the garden AND for flea and tick control.

Your Pet Waste- super gross, but effective. Put a dog or cat turd down the gopher hole. They smell a predator and will retreat. You have to reapply.

Hot Pepper Wax or Deer Off- HPW keeps animals out of the garden, so I'm sure spraying it around the gopher hole would help. I think Deer Off might contain an animal product. There's something else on the market called Deer Scram! you should stay away from because it is made with **gag** meat meal, cloves, and garlic.

I hope that helps. You do not need to be Bill Murray unless you are having a Vegan Caddyshack themed party.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:41 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thank you jewbacca!! Those are some extremely helpful suggestions I'd never heard before. I really appreciate you taking the time to drop some knowledge on us garden noobs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just saw this thread now. I've got a gopher and was thinking of trying a humane trap. My neighbor just told me today though, that he had one with peanut butter in it, and apparently the gopher ate the peanut butter without setting off the trap. So who knows. Please post if you figure out something that works!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

my husband told me today that he thinks we have a gopher in the backyard (he apparently spent awhile researching what their holes look like). maybe we'll start with the dog poop trick, since we have a regular supply of that. ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:13 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I read something about shoving hot peppers in the gopher holes and then packing them with dirt .. I'm not really sure how the gopher would fare from that treatment, though. and I've never tried it. My garden seems okay so far .. I'll be checking this thread as my garden inevitably comes under siege.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:33 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Are you sure you have gophers and not moles? Moles are very common in gardens and eat insects, grubs, worms, etc. and only occasionally may eat vegetation. They are a nuisance, but actually do aerate the soil pretty well, and once your veggies or other plants get to a large size they generally survive the tunneling. I just tamp down the surface tunnels in the veggie garden. They do create unsightly lawns though!

Gophers are pretty localized and most people will never have them. They are vegan - they don't eat beetles, grubs, etc. And they do major damage to gardens, even eating the roots of mature roses and other tasty shrubs as well as your veggies. I have a friend who swears by castor oil sprays to deter them, but in my large garden it didn't seem to work well. I have a few "protected beds", with hardware cloth on the bottom, secured to box sides, where I grow root crops and onions, which works pretty well. Gophers usually ignore most of my greens and I've never had them attack tomatoes, squash, etc.