| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kitchen compost bins
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:14 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Anyone have suggestions or recommendations for a countertop compost bin? I have a big outdoor bin, and I have a crappy old mixing bowl I dump my scraps into. It sits on the kitchen counter and I dump it outside as it fills up or gets disgusting. The problem is it looks gross and attracts flies. I've been looking at buying a canister designed for keeping compost scraps on the countertop, but I'm confused about the decomposable bags and filters. I'm not crazy about the idea of paying for bags and filters to compost, but I'd be willing to listen to life-changing testimonials. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: kitchen compost bins
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:59 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

We keep a canister under our sink - I think it's about a gallon, and it has a sealing lid (this brand, ours is older so it looks a little different, but same concept: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/I AM SPAM PLEASE REPORT ME! ... d=10033113). It keeps the smell and the flies at bay and when it's full my husband goes and dumps it on our outdoor compost heap. No bags; we just rinse it out. And I love that I don't have to unscrew the lid or pop it open, just squeeze it. Minimal touching of lid required when you're fishing slop out of your sink and your hands are gross ;-)

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:01 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ha. The link isn't spam, I promise. :-)

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We keep our compost in our freezer! No smell, no flies. We use compostable paper bags, because they have a small footprint in our (tiny) freezer, but reuse them over and over until they basically fall apart. For many years when we had a larger freezer we just used regular plastic bags.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:20 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Thanks guys! The freezer thing is a great idea. Unfortunately I keep my freezer full to the gills, and already take up loads of space with my stockpile (premium veggie scraps I save for making stock). I think I'm going to go with the bagless canister method.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:06 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i keep a tightly lidded (but easy to open) container on my kitchen counter next to the sink- it is just like a sink-side trash can thing. just bought a new one after 7 years this week, since my husband somehow managed to break the old one the other day.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:34 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have a metal compost container with a tight fitting, ventilated lid and a charcoal filter in the top, like this: http://www.amzn.com/B001RNEW4Y

I haven't used it in a while, but it is nice for keeping under the sink. The charcoal filter does help limit any smells, and I think the lid also minimizes the fruit fly issue. I had to stop using it as we had a problem with mice in the kitchen a while back, so we had to get rid of any potential source of food or food smells. If your food ends up sticking to the bottom too much, you can try lining the can with newspaper or something similar (used paper towels or napkins work too if you use those).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:22 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I have a bowl on the counter next to the chopping board for using while I am cooking, and then I empty that into a normal pedal bin with a plastic insert. When that bin is full/gross, it is emptied into the outside compost bin, rinsed with the garden hose and the rinse water also tipped into the compost bin. I think the bin is about 30l (used to be our normal rubbish bin but we downsized to a tiny one for rubbish) and we fill/empty it often enough that it doesn't get smelly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:55 am 
Bathes in Braggs

We have those big square lidded storage bins that restaurants use (I just picked them up at the restaurant supply). Usually we just collect our compost in a bowl on the counter during the day and then transfer to the fridge bin in the evening. If fruit flies/ants are bad we'll just put it right into the fridge bin. We store the filled bins in a chest freezer until we can bring it all to our composting location.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:49 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

i've tried the metal bin with the filter that beanitarian posted about, but the fruit flies just nested in the filter. it was horrible.

i've tried some other methods, but the best i've found is just a big glass apothecary jar (got mine from the container store) i'm lazy, so i need something that will allow the contents to get gross and the gross will be sealed inside until i eventually bring it outside. the lid is nice and heavy, so nobody can climb out.

the glass is ideal because plastic may allow the smell to permeate, and at least absorb into the inside of the bin. (and the fact that there are no more purchases i have to make, such as filters and whatnot. i just have to clean it out and it's good as new.) and honestly, it's pretty as long as it's been recently washed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:38 pm 
Chip Strong

The city here gives out counter-top (or under the sink,) lidded plastic bins for collecting compost. I fold up a sheet of newsprint (we get a lot of flyers in the mail) and use as a liner in the bottom, and dump it into our outside bin about every 2 days. The liner makes it so easy to clean - no gunk to scoop out! Portland also collects food waste compost with regular garbage/recycling pick-ups for those of us who don't compost at home.