| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seedlings questions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:03 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

So I did lots of seeds a few days ago, mostly the kind that you don't cover with much soil (what's the word for that?) like carrots and tomatoes. My understanding is that I need to keep them moist but not too damp. I've just been misting with the hose daily until the soil looks damp and usually it dries out within a few hours which I'm figuring is ok. So that is my first question, you think that's ok?

Second question. We're expecting a thunderstorm and lotsa rain tomorrow. Should I cover the seeds with tarps or anything? Will they just float away if they get too wet?

Thanks, pros!

Post subject: Re: Seedlings questions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't think you want them to dry out. It is a tricky balance between not drying out and not getting too wet though! I've definitely had some plantings dry out a little, especially when it is hot in May, but if yours are drying out in just a few hours, I think you might want to water them a little more.

I think they'll be ok in the rain. I think it was last summer there was a crazy hard rain the day or so after I planted some seeds, and I was really worried they would all wash away. But they were fine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:14 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Carrots are finicky in that they take a while to germinate and the soil needs to stay evenly moist. Some people use old burlap bags to cover them while they are germinating. Here's a kind of tutorial:
http://www.ericamulherin.com/blog/2011/ ... ng-burlap/
Another option to think about if you decide to plant another row later is that some people alternate the carrot seeds with radish seeds to help mark the row (radishes are fast sprouters) and also to help break up any crust that may form in the soil from keeping it damp.

I have never direct seeded tomatoes, but I have had many volunteer. I think they are a bit easier than carrots, so you shouldn't have any problems with them. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:21 am 
Seagull of the PPK

in stormy times i usually cover over my plants with a screen or burlap or something so that the surface seeds don't get splashed or washed away.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:55 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Burlap is good. Cardboard or flattened cereal boxes works okay too, but you'll have to remove to water. Carrots can take up to 21 days to germinate, but check every day as they shoot up pretty quickly once growth starts. I'll often mix in a little sand or vermiculite to cover the seeds, which prevents the soil from crusting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:06 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Update: everyone is doing great! Lots of germination and happiness.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:56 am 
ol' garly cooch

Yay for Isa! I agree with what everyone said. Burlap is awesome!

As for my starts, I'm pissed. I spent precious dollars on stuff and so far am having no luck. I know how to grow shiitake and am getting nuthin'. Nada. Zilch from my propagation trays. what the fizzle? I started another flat and am crossing my fingers. Everything I planted in the soil is great, just not the pepper and tomato starts in the flats. Ugh!