| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I miss the Greenhouse
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:29 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I've been soooo busy with the restaurant I haven't been able to garden chat all summer! How is everyone? How are your tomatoes? Growing anything new? Killing anything?

Post subject: Re: I miss the Greenhouse
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:38 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Right. Abandon us just to fulfill your passions and dreams why don't you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:16 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I grew two strawberries.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:28 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The I miss all your gardening posts, isa! The greenhouse got me back into gardening.

I've killed off a lot of things this year. I felt guilty using water during the drought :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My tomatoes are killing it. My kale is a monster! My cabbage sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:17 am 
Impressive boner

Our squash plants are big but no female flowers yet. The basil is doing well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My raspberry bush suddenly exploded, after not having fruit the last few years.

Beyond that I've had lettuce and chives and not much else yet. Looks like my beans and tomatoes will do something soon, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:04 am 
Married to the wolfman

I grew two cucumbers that were so bitter, we had to compost them. Now the flowers are falling off my pumpkin vines. Not the best year!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:10 am 
Nooch of Earl

I moved into a house with lots of amazing trees, and I haven't been able to kill them yet (possibly because the landlord wisely included bimonthly gardening services in the rent). We have kumquats, lemons, tangerines, oranges, and olives. The kumquats have been delicious. Walking outside to pick a lemon for a recipe is kind of a game changer, because you can always make something that tastes fresh even if everything else is pantry blah. I am looking forward to a new crop of lemons and oranges soon (they're green, but growing!) and will be learning how to cure olives in the fall.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:28 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I found two plants thriving in my garden that I thought were long gone. I'm hoping to get an apple tree planted this summer so that in a few years I will have lots of apples to make lots of apple pie.
And I bought a lawnmower to see if I can finally get a handle on the garden.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We have gotten a ton of cucumbers, tomatoes and okra!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:39 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I got really into pruning my garden last year. I think it's my favorite part of gardening now (after eating things, of course.) This was the second year my black raspberry bush fruited, and it seemed like it had a really good crop which I totally attribute to my excellent and relentless pruning skills. I made the mulberry/lavender scones from the blog with one of my raspberry hauls instead of mulberries, and with fresh lavenders from our garden, and they were one of my favorite things I've made recently.

I also enjoy pruning my tomato plants, and the tomatoes I grew last year, and so far this year, have been sooo big and awesome. So far none of my tomatoes are even starting to blush though, let alone turn dark purple and smoky, despite my checking them every single day for the last week and a half.

It's been a very cool and rainy here this spring and summer, so a lot of our plants have been very slow to do things. We also had to buy a whole bunch of new soil this year, because all of our beds had gotten super compacted. We got 4 cubic yards delivered, which was awesome (and lots of work!) and now our beds are nice and full again, but the soil is way less fertile than what we had before, which had several years' worth of compost mixed in, and was very dark and rich and wormy. So, another reason why our plants are being slow and stunted. Oh well, I know it's better in the long run.

Finally our kale and collard plants are outpacing us. My tiny little pepper plants just started having a couple of first flowers. Our second round of lettuces are taking forever to get big. It's weird for it to be summer and to not be eating a giant salad every single night. Herb beds are exploding as usual.

We have almost 80 garlic plants that finally look ready to harvest!

And the biggest exciting garden thing here this year is that our four shiitake mushroom logs that we inoculated last year are fruiting for the first time! So far I think we've had 4 awesome mushrooms from them, and they were so damn tasty.

Annak, those trees sound amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:20 am 
Seagull of the PPK

even though it's been a hell of a winter so far, my garden is awesome. my passionfruits had their first fruits this year and we are making lots of juice. Kale is gangbusters, fennel too, and the snow peas are unstoppable. Can't wait for spring.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:24 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Nothing too special this year. I've had lots and lots of lettuce, and got an early beet crop in that I've been thinning for wonderful greens. Also, I let some magentaspreen go to seed last year, and it has come up as thickly as grass in many parts of my garden. So, I've been harvesting a lot of it and also turning it under for a green manure too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenopodium_giganteum.

Last edited by Jill on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:27 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

We acquired a pot with a couple of small pointy succulents in it. They appear to have budded off little sub-plants, so I moved them to a bigger pot, and they seem to have taken root and started growing.

Also I buried a potato that was sprouting and it grew into a plant. Then C&S dug it up. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:46 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Jill wrote:
magentaspreen.

this is magnificent!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:30 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

There for awhile it was raining a lot, so everything I'd planted and overwintered was growing nicely. Then it stopped raining, and I've been too busy to nurture anything, so most of it is dead. I think I still have some herbs growing at T's house, unless they died since the weekend.

I hope I have more time to garden next summer!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:31 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

This is the first time I've ever grown something edible other than herbs! So far, I've gotten 3 bell peppers and 5 jalapenos. I'm only using small containers right now - maybe next year I'll try to actually plant something other than flowers in the ground!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

have a few little green tomatoes forming - planted indigo rose, persimmon, black krim, yellow brandywine, and some reg old tomatoes. nothing is ready to eat yet :(
my 20 feet of raspberry bushes provide like, 5 raspberries a day.
i don't know what it is, but it feels like a lot of the seeds i planted have sprouted and remained seedlings for months. hmmm.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:43 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

My chard is beautiful, giant and colourful! My basil is huge and begging to be made into pesto. Literally. Damn GMOs makin' talkin' vegetables.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:55 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I spread a whole packet of lettuce seeds, and only got one lettuce plant! Luckily it's super tasty and doing well to being continuously harvested.

I have a ton of volunteer potatoes.

I have two grafted tomatoes, and a crafted cuke. One regular cuke. We'll see if that's really as fancy as they're made out to be. They were free anyhow.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:55 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have harvested 117 rattlesnake beans so far. From 4 plants. They're my pride & joy. I had to tear down all but one purple pod bean, I think they had bean mosaic virus. Sad. My lettuce is cute and almost mature. My delicata squash is slow to take off, I planted it in a spot that is too acidic thanks to a giant cedar tree growing in that area. We'll see how that turns out. The basil is doing well, as are the other herbs, including sage & summer savory that started from direct seeding. Scarlet runner beans are in bloom, the zinnias have buds, and the sunflowers are getting there! Also, it rained today, so I didn't have to water. So thankful. It's been the worst season I've ever seen for flea beetles and leaf miners. Curse them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:23 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ooh! i have rattlesnake bean seeds in the fridge awaiting spring! can`t wait!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:27 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My tomatoes are pretty happy this year -- usually they get angry around this time because the weather gets drier, but it's been pretty rainy so far this year. Having some trouble with blossom end rot on the first few peppers (and the first couple of tomatoes) but there is good fruit too so here's hoping!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:34 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Holy shiitake, I have ripe tomatoes! Let me explain why this is nuts--when I moved here in May (to a snowstorm), and then planted in June, it was freezing. My tomatoes did nothing for the full month and then started waking up right before the hurricane. Now, mere weeks later, I have red fruit! What the hell? This is so unlike growing stuff in BC. It's fascinating. I can't wait to see if they are actually good. Literally the farmers' market had absolutely nothing except a few greenhouse things and three potatoes from PEI, and now we have absolutely everything, including melons! I feel like I'm in California again! My cabbage is beautiful now too. I'm just amazed that as a fairly inexperienced gardener I can make stuff happen!

Jay and I keep fighting about harvesting kale. He thinks cutting the under leaves (that are wilting) shocks the plant, but I would prefer to eat them instead of watching them go to waste. Please someone tell me I'm right, as we are both newbies.

No sign of anything from my Brussels sprouts, but I kind of expected that as I pretty much just threw some seeds on soil. I should probably give it more thought next time, but planting my garden was very much a speedy-whilst-learning-a-new-job-and-unpacking-a-new-house affair. I'm excited for next year.