| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone use Borax to kill Creeping Charlie?
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:34 am 
Nailed to the V

I have a whole lotta shade in my yard and Creeping Charlie has taken over. I've been searching the net and read some sites that suggested using Borax. Has anyone used this with success? What do you think? And I'm wonder how this affects the soil. Someone on one of those sites suggested 5 teaspoons per one quart in a spray bottle so that doesn't sound like a whole lot of borax.

OR just tell me how to get rid of it for good. It's creeping into my neighbors yard.

Post subject: Re: Anyone use Borax to kill Creeping Charlie?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Here's something on using borax: http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgar ... borax.html. It sounds like if you don't intensively plant something to replace the Creeping Charlie, it will come back. Is it in a lawn now, or what do you want to have growing there instead?

Either way, it sounds like something worth a try. And if it starts coming back in lesser amounts, it would be easy to keep at it by digging it out.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Anyone use Borax to kill Creeping Charlie?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

I tried the Borax diluted in a spray bottle but it either took too long to work or the conditions weren't right for it. We've had a lot of rain too. I decided to divide the back yard into sections and work on one section at a time. Creeping Charlie comes out of the ground pretty easily, a heavy rake pulls up most of it. I'm adding new mulch to the flower beds and am deciding between grass or less invasive ground cover for the rest of the yard.

But borax didn't work for me. Maybe it has to work during a dry spell.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]