| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tell me if we did this right!
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:25 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Any input would be appreciated! This is my first time ever trying to grow anything, so I have no idea if we're doing this right or not.

We started really small, with a 5x5-ish plot. The spot we chose gets about 6 hours of full sun, and will probably get a bit more when we deal with some of the overhanging tree branches that need to come down anyway. There's 4 kale, 4 mini romaine, 2 New Zealand spinach, 2 escarole, a zucchini, and 3 tomato plants. They're spaced so everything has 10-18" of space from everything else, except the escarole, which I read can be set a little closer. The plants that are on the edges are a bit closer to the edge of the garden than 10", is that alright? All the plants were bought as seedlings and so far everything seems to be doing alright, except the spinach, which looks a little sad.

We dug down about eight inches and mixed the soil with some good compost and some garden soil from the store, and put some chicken wire-type stuff up as fencing to keep rabbits and whatnot out. It's been raining today so I haven't had to water them yet.

So tell me: did we miss anything? Are the plants going to be too crowded? What about bugs and stuff? I really have no idea what I'm doing here.

I guess I have a Twitter now

Post subject: Re: Tell me if we did this right!
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

8 inches is a bit shallow, but it's better than nothing.

did you plant it so the tomatoes provide shade to the greens?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:18 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

sounds good, i would say to find out your zone, go to garden web, and see what people in your zone are doing and what you can expect at what time and have someone to commiserate with when you have blossom end rot/powdery mildew/early blight/etc. don't expect every plant to flourish, some won't and it'll break your heart. But keep an eye on them and maybe they will. Remember that some will want more water than others, and keep us posted about how it's going!!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:22 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think the zucchini might be a bit close. The leaves on it get huuuuge.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:14 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I'm personally a fan of crowded planting. So long stuff that likes lots of sun won't end up getting covered, I think you're set. If you are worried about the soil not being too good below that 8 inches, you could always add more nice soil/compost to the top. Most plants either like or are fine with a couple of inches of soil up their stem. You might need to loosen the lettuces up a bit but it should be doable.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:08 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I did put the tomatoes where there's more sun and they shade the greens somewhat. The zucchini has a bit more room than everything else but we probably should've given it more...part of the problem is that the trees in and around my yard cast so much shade that this is the only really sunny spot in our yard. I'll add some more compost to the top of everything soon. Thanks everybody!

I guess I have a Twitter now