| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Birdfeeders!!
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:21 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Do you have any? What kinds of birds are you seeing?

I have kind of a happy story. For the past few weeks, we had one mourning dove. At first she kind of crept in, grabbed some seeds, and made for the telephone wire.

Eventually she started to get get more comfortable. I have a lounge chair in the yard that I just face towards the feeders (totally inconspicuous like) and watch. She began to hang out beneath the feeder, sometimes for hours on end, just eating and sleeping. Even if grackles came around, she just kind of hung out. I figured I would see a mate around, since that is how mourning doves to roll, but for weeks it was just her. So it was bittersweet.

Then, just yesterday from my kitchen window, I saw her flying around, perching on the fence and just being a little bit more active on the feeders. I grabbed my binoculars and spied on my neighbors looked to see what was going on. And sure enough, she had a mate! And they've both been happily eating at the feeder ever since.

Other birds I see a lot: house finches, cardinals, chickadees, nuthatches, redheaded woodpeckers, and maybe what looks like a wood thrush but I have trouble identifying brown birds.

Post subject: Re: Birdfeeders!!
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:31 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Awh, I should get one. Maybe just a hummingbird one though, as I already have enough trouble with squirrels.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:56 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We get mainly CA towhees, house finches, and sparrows, but the occasional titmouse (so cute!), chickadees, and Stellar's jays at the feeder. And lots of hummingbirds at the flowers in the front yard.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:29 pm 
ol' garly cooch

I've been so awful about this--those little things sure hate me! We have all kinds of birds here in the woods: finches, hummingbirds, jays, cardinals, bluebirds, and even a red headed woodpecker! I try to keep a little bit of everything out for them to eat.

And Mr. Maury Bernstein sits in waiting in the bushes.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

Birds are so fun. Hummingbirds, finches, a trio of mourning doves (!), baltimore orioles, chickadees, sparrows, cardinals, tufted titmice. We also have a sharp shinned hawk nest that makes me worry for the squirrels, bunnies, and other birds. Those hawks are loud.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Some of my friends who live close to the water get egrets, herons and ibises in their yards. Alas, I do not have a bird feeder because they attract citrus rats. If I could find one that I was reasonably certain was rat-proof, I would put one up.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:49 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

We had a sparrow family in the front yard...

Now in the backyard we have a dove couple that hangs out by our pom tree. Also a tiny lil humming bird comes around. I have two feeders in the back yard (wild seed mix & humming bird nectar), also I just cooked some rice for the doves (I read they like it) and put it out on a huge compost-able plate so they can snack away. I am off to the feed store to buy some 'dove mix'...

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:04 am 
Level 7 Vegan

at my parents' house, we have a feeder filled with nyjer seed (for the finches), and a cage feeder (for smaller birds) and a tray feeder (for bigger birds) filled with shelled sunflower seeds. our most common birds are house sparrows, house finches, and mourning doves (mostly eating the seeds other birds dropped on the ground), but we also get Carolina chickadees, cardinals, blue jays, goldfinches, Carolina wrens, tufted titmice, and song sparrows on a regular basis. we have downy woodpeckers too, though i haven't seen them in a while. every so often we'll get a red-bellied woodpecker or a yellow-shafted northern flicker, which are quite breathtaking when you can see them 5 feet away from your kitchen window. the flicker is especially fun to watch, because he'll perch on the cage feeder and get the seeds by sticking his ridiculously long tongue into the openings (i only wish i had a video of it).

lately we've been seeing our usual late spring grackles and red-winged blackbirds. we don't normally get starlings at our feeders, but i've seen quite a few of them over the last week.

sigh. the birdies are one of the things i'll miss most after i move to England. :(

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:17 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

We've had Morning Dove's nesting in our trees this spring. I've found two nests so far, and two babies. We've mostly had Finches, Robins, and Cardinals. I recently purchased a general seed mix that brought a lot of activity to the yard. But the fun ended quickly after a squirrel chewed the birdfeeder out of the tree!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:39 am 
Discovered unobtainium

We have a lot of cardinals.

I got my mom some foxglove plants for mothers day so we will have hummingbirds. I'd like a bird feeder, but the squirrels destroy everything, plus we have a lot of hawks.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:38 pm 

Here's our major feeder (there are two more) featuring a house finch on a bag of thistle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:26 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I would love to have a birdfeeder but my dog scares them all away. Not to mention, annoys the neighbors with his insane barking at birds.

Also disappointing, apparently there are no hummingbirds in my area. (I even checked with the New Jersey Bird Records committee, http://www.njbrc.net/ no sitings in my area) Sp my red bee balm plants have no fast winged visitors.

Although on the upside, I did see a yellow-headed bird a week or two ago in my yard that I've never seen before in my life. I have no idea what type of bird it was. Pretty cool!

I would like to learn more about how to recognize birds. Birdwatching is something I hope to do with my son when he gets a little older.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:14 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

I think if I were to get a bird feeder it would be the last straw that drove my cat to insanity. We have a bird nest or something in our roof (?) and he spends 90% of his time trying to see them and yowling when they chirp.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:04 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Aubade wrote:
Also disappointing, apparently there are no hummingbirds in my area. (I even checked with the New Jersey Bird Records committee, http://www.njbrc.net/ no sitings in my area)

what part of NJ do you live in? i've seen ruby-throated hummingbirds in several spots in Monmouth & Middlesex counties (and possibly others).

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:45 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I almost bought a hummingbird feeder today, but it was cheap, ugly, and plastic, and so I decided I'm going to try and make one. I don't want to spend the big bucks on a fancy one so... it might be fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
Aubade wrote:
Also disappointing, apparently there are no hummingbirds in my area. (I even checked with the New Jersey Bird Records committee, http://www.njbrc.net/ no sitings in my area)

what part of NJ do you live in? i've seen ruby-throated hummingbirds in several spots in Monmouth & Middlesex counties (and possibly others).

I'm in Middlesex county too. And I think you're right - I just looked into it more and the link I posted above was the wrong one, then I found a list like the one I've seen before but for some reason now it says they have been seen here - just uncommon. http://www.leoraw.com/hpenv/data/Birdso ... County.pdf So I'm not sure where I saw that before.

Although, now this means I don't know why they don't visit my yard. I have a huge red bee balm, and red honeysuckle that they're supposed to love. Maybe it is a combination of them being uncommon + my dog.

And I have to say I'm amazed at the many different types of birds you've seen in your yard! I really want to learn how to identify them now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:58 am 
ol' garly cooch

I'm tellin' you--if you put nectar out, they will come. Don't buy the store bought stuff either, just mix 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. DO NOT tint it with food coloring--NONONONO. Change the mixture every couple of days in extreme heat. Scouts usually look for food in April, but with those lil' guys it's never too late.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:31 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I will be making my own nectar next time! I bought 4 lil bottles a few weeks back for $7. I am a fool! :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:13 am 

Okay, I'm sick of my birds and want different ones. Dumb starlings are keeping everyone away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:31 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

My hummingbird feeder kept the hummers away for awhile...the flowers were white while the rest was red so they missed the hole. A week ago we painted the flowers red and now we have 3-4 hummingbirds fighting over feeder rights! Its a lot of entertaining drama, but it seems like a lot of work. I will stop dyeing the nectar! I put a few drops of color in when we colord the flowers because I wanted to make sure they figured it out. Next batch will be clear I swear!

On my reg feeders, I've seen first, goldfinches, lots of tufted titmice, an eastern peewee (I think?), song sparrow, towhees on the ground under the feeder, cardinals, carolina chickadees, also maybe a wood thrush (but yeah the LBJs are confusing)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:09 am 
ol' garly cooch

Man the birds here are hun-gray. I can't keep up with them! And yes, I have starlings and Jays that keep the others away too. It doesn't help matters that my kitty Maury Bernstein sits in the bushes waiting for one that forages for seeds that fall on the ground.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:50 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I may need to paint the flowers too! What kind of paint do I use? I hear the humming birds but do not see them at the feeder.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:57 pm 

Can someone in the know post a pic of an ideal hummingbird feeder? I'm not getting the flower painting thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:37 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

IsaChandra wrote:
Can someone in the know post a pic of an ideal hummingbird feeder? I'm not getting the flower painting thing.

I bought the feeder I did because it was glass instead of plastic for the nectar bottle part. However the base was red...but the flowers were white. Hummers are attracted to the color red since they don't smell or anything, they are just drown to flowers with that color, mostly. And a tube shape. My flowers were white and they weren't finding the holes! So we painted them red and, lo, they came. I think they may have had complaints on that because they offer one now with red flowers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:42 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I have watched the hummingbirds at lycophyte's and they are zippy little things.

Panda With Cookie