| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: strawberries on the windowsill???
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:03 pm 
Tofu Pup

hi everyone'
i would love to grow my own strawberries. the problem is that i live in a tiny london flat with no garden. is it possible to grow some strawberries on the windowsill. what other fruit or veg could i grow there?
i had tomatoes last year and it was a real success :-)
well as you can probably tell i am not quite the best gardener:-) but i would love some suggestions for a little windowsill garden:-)

Post subject: Re: strawberries on the windowsill???
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:33 pm 
Inflexitarian

I feel like strawberries would not be a very good use of space in a windowsill garden. They don't really yield that much unless you have a big bed of them. I think they also wont bear fruit until their secondyy year. But I have seen them sold in hanging baskets, so you could give it a try. I think the best place to start would be a bunch of herbs if you don't have any already. Also lettuces and kale. I would keep doing tomatoes if they worked well for you before, because home grown tomatoes are so infinitely superior to store bought!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:16 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Initially I thought no, strawberries wouldn't work on a windowsill, imagining something quite small. But if you have enough room for tomatoes, you definitely have enough room for strawberries, in my opinion. And yes, they don't yield until their second year or onward but you can buy more mature plants that will yield this year, like the hanging basket kind e_c mentioned, or something similar. I think the specific varieties used for those hanging basket ones are actually designed to be less runner-y and more bushy.

Mexican Sour Gherkin is my new favorite thing to grow in something hanging. It's a visually stunning plant, and the little cukes taste to forkin good! They vine and twist and trail all over the place. Funtastic!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I have been growing strawberries in pots on the window, and it works. I have 4 plants that in 2 years grew to 6 or so, and they all produce something. However, they don't produce very much, nor all at once. So it's more the case of eating one strawberry a day rather than filling a little basket. They taste excellent though!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:19 pm 
Impressive boner

I'm growing them inside my kitchen windowsill. I bought two young plants from a market a few weeks ago and one has a big, lumpy looking strawberry on it that started to turn pink two days ago. Both plants have flowered and have little hairy green fruit on them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:16 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I started strawberry plants from seed in january in the 6 pack divided things that plant starts come in, and the resulting plants are now big enough to re plant into pots that are about 3-4 inches deep. I expect that this will be enough space to last them for many months to come, but they are starting to look like real plants and have a few flowers each. The important thing is sun and humidity, since they love both it seems. They take time and care to grow, so be patient if starting from seed, but you will have plenty of space in a windowsill. They are tiny at first and do not get too large until a few years old. Also if you want to keep them producing strawberries for a longer season you need to keep it so they only have three main sections to a plant so that they think they are still in flowering phase. When this is done you can let them expand and they will produce runners you can direct to other locations, in more pots in other windowsills. Strawberries are an easy plant to make a houseplant for sure.