| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Verbana buenos aires in England
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:27 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I have just bought this plant. It's great. Its five foot, blossoms are great and in a pot ( I have courtyard garden). Does anyone know when I am supposed to cut it back? If so how far and when. Internet gives conflicting advise. I don't want to lose this plant!!!!

Post subject: Re: Verbana buenos aires in England
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:11 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

It's normally grown as an accent plant, in among other perennials. It self-sows but doesn't take up much space, so the most I've ever seen anyone do is cut off all the spent flowers to keep the plant in bloom and prevent too many seedlings from popping up. You can cut it back to keep it more compact and increase branching, cutting just above nodes. It should send out new stems from right below the closest node from where you cut. But if it is 5' tall now and you just cut it back a foot or two, you're going to get a top-heavy spray at the end of a floppy stem. So if you want to keep it compact, the best bet is to start cutting it back before it gets tall.

Also - it is an herbaceous perennial and will die back in winter and come back from the roots next spring.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:00 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

When do I cut it though?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:26 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Keely weely wrote:
When do I cut it though?

If you want to keep it blooming, deadhead (cut individual flowers off) when their petals drop and before their seeds form. If you want to want a more compact plant with more flowers overall, it's a matter of training and you can start your pruning regimen when it is a foot or so high - in Spring. If you prune it back hard now, you might not get a lot of regrowth, depending on when your first frost date is. It would be helpful for you to google to find more info, or check in a library for books on cultivating perennials for diagrams, etc.

But as I tried to say, it is usually used as an airy filler plant rather than a star, so I've never seen anyone do more than deadhead it.