| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you growing?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:34 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I've heard that garlic can do quite well in a container. The key things to consider are type of garlic, and size of pot.
If you don't have big pots, you could drill some holes in a couple of those big plastic storage bins and grow the garlic in those.

Una wrote:
I think I'm going to use some of the garlic I got at the farmers market for growing, but I'm a container gardener, so we'll see how that goes. I desperately want to grow a dwarf citrus plant of some kind, possible mexican key lime. It would have to sit out the winter in my living room, but from everything I've read about their environmental needs, that's basically my living room. If I get drunk and buy a citrus tree, you guys will be the first to know! (getting drunk is usually how I end up buying things I want.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:44 pm 

I'm very envious of all of you who are starting your gardens now. Mine is pretty much done for winter. I've still got some swiss chard, leeks, spinach, beets, chives and thyme.
I can't grow any brassicas, which is what grows well in our winters, as my plot has clubroot, but I am growing arugula and kale in pots because I love them too much to give up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:07 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I waited too long, and now my carrots are frozen underground. Drat!

On the bright side, my first seed catalog came today! Botanical Interests. It was a nice way to ring in the day of our first snow accumulation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Nothing because it's horrid and cold in NY right now, waaahhhh. I can't wait to start seeds for my huge garden in March.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:29 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I put some seedlings of Viet Mint, Thai Basil, more sweet Basil, Oregano, Thyme and Cilantro in the other day, as well as some chilli, lettuce, zucchini and bell pepper seeds.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:47 am 
Seagull of the PPK

got my first crop of green beans this week!

i also pulled my peas (weather was so weird this year, we didn't get too many).
i found neem oil and have been spraying my tomatoes to combat the Evil Sucking Bugs. Mixed results. Tomatoes have picked up what looks like mosaic virus and look pretty rough but only about half the affected plants have the disease, the unaffected leaves are totally healthy, i'm hoping the plants will just power through it.
my yellow squashes have squash, and the tomatillos have first blooms out, as do eggplants and thai eggplants. strawberries bearing a fruit or two a day, and chard is not dead yet.
okras have first blooms on plant.
Corn had about a 30% germination rate though so i'm not too hopeful. on the bright side our shiso came up like gangbusters this year after i nearly went nuts trying to germinate it last year without success.
i also have some fruit on my raspberries. when are raspberries usually ripe for picking in northern climes? end of august?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:57 pm 

torque wrote:
when are raspberries usually ripe for picking in northern climes? end of august?

We have two types (and dozens of varieties of each) - "June-bearing" which not surprisingly concentrate the bulk of their berries in June, and "Fall-bearing", which will set a small crop of berries on old wood in early Summer and a larger harvest on new wood from August - frost. In Spring, the Fall-bearing canes are cut back to the point they quit bearing in fall and they continue fruiting down the canes.

Sorry about your disease and bug problems - I think both are a lot worse in warmer climates.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:38 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I got a pack of a bunch of different herb seeds in a "kitchen value pack" (basil, dill, purple ruffles basil, sage, parsley, oregano, chives, rosemary, cilantro, and thyme). Problem is, my windows face the building next door so I don't get a lot of sunlight in my apartment. One of my basil plants (not in the windowsill) died, but the other (in the windowsill) was doing okay, not superb, until I wasn't home for a week to water it.

Should I attempt to grow the herbs? Or plant the seeds in the backyard of the apartment building? That would only work in the summer and I really want a kitchen herb garden. :(

edit: well the chives say "requires darkness", but the rosemary, parsley, oregano, and sage specify "full sun". The rest don't say.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:20 pm 

I'm not an expert at all but I know that rosemary and sage don't need as much water as the others, hopefully someone can help you here. I definitely think you should attempt to grow them.

I'll post pics of my garden when I put more in tonight. I wanted to ask if anyone knows of an alternative to milk spray for the white powder that appears on zucchini leaves?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:06 am 
Baking In The Flavor

that powdery mildew is a pain in the asparagus. I usually pick the leaves when I see it, but found this on ehow:
Quote:
As an alternative to horticultural oils, you can mix your own fungicide. One recipe for homemade fungicide is one gallon of water mixed with four or five cloves of crushed garlic. You can also mix one gallon of water with a squirt of dish soap and 1 tbsp. of baking soda to make a fungicidal spray.
Spray either homemade formula directly on plants, taking care to thoroughly soak the entire plant, including the underside of leaves. Reapply these sprays every three or four days to treat powdery mildew.

Read more: How to Treat Powdery Mildew in Squash Plants | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5896103_treat-p ... z1A2mZjRHG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:50 am 

Oh awesome, I'll try the garlic, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:18 pm 

I'm starting artichokes soon! Dying to do something garden-related.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:29 pm 
ol' garly cooch

fyi, i work at a gardening center and know some things. lemme know if y'all have problems or need help with your projects.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:25 pm 

jewbacca wrote:
fyi, i work at a gardening center and know some things. lemme know if y'all have problems or need help with your projects.

Hey, that's handy! Do you know anything about rock dust? I don't think many garden centers carry it so I wont be surprised if you don't, or haven't seen it. I just ordered some online and I think they gave me the wrong product (it's not dust, it's pebbles. What?)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:43 am 

I wanted to take a photo but the weather is disgusting here. I am one of the lucky ones because we are not flooded out. I don't know if my little container garden will pull through this weather very well! I thought I would be getting zucchinis by now, they are flowering but the stems are light green and the buds keep falling off. The garlic spray seems to have worked ok but the powder is coming back so I'll have to reapply (the website said to do it every 3 days). All I have done in my garden lately is put some bok choi seedlings in and curly kale seeds.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:00 pm 
ol' garly cooch

kibbles wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

Hey, that's handy! Do you know anything about rock dust? I don't think many garden centers carry it so I wont be surprised if you don't, or haven't seen it. I just ordered some online and I think they gave me the wrong product (it's not dust, it's pebbles. What?)

are you talking about rock phosphate? if so, yes we carry that. i'll go check the ingredients to make sure it's not mixed with bone or blood meal, which many garden amendments have in the ingredients. i often walk around the office singing "rock phosphate!" to the tune of "rock lobster" by the B-52's.

we also carry a couple of vegan options for media and fertilizers: vegan compost tea, and vegan plant food by general organics.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:20 pm 
ol' garly cooch

hey,

i just checked the shelf and saw that it was the granular kind--the little pebbles you're trying to avoid.

look for floranectar vegan compost tea-(made by general hydro)
bio thrive grow or bio thrive bloom vegan plant food made by general organics (a division of general hydroponics)

you can use hydro nutrients in soil, you just shouldn't use soil nutrients and fertilizers in hydro systems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:37 pm 

Hey thanks for the info! I figured out that what I was shipped was the wrong thing, and the rock dust is purely ground rock (all vegan, as far as rock goes) and will be shipped to me soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:23 am 
Not NOT A Furry

This summer I have...

- tomatoes (Grosse Lisse, Black Russian and Apollo)
- potatoes (Sebago)
- green beans
- a cucumber
- silverbeet
- lettuce (Mignonette, iirc)
- a pumpkin (Jarrahdale, iirc)
- basil
- dill
- parsley (Italian)
- oregano
- thyme
- rosemary
- mint

I just made my first serious harvest this evening - a tomato, a cucumber, three potatoes and a big handful of beans. Yay!

Edit: We also have a lemon tree.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ok folks, I want to grow some things on our balcony (we have a railing and some space where we could put bigger potted plants), but this is my first year in The Netherlands and I'm worried the sun doesn't come out long enough here for it to even be worth it. What say you? Should I go for it? Who has grown food in darker, northern climates?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:43 am 
ol' garly cooch

PT, you might want to check with the locals and see what is grown during the year. There's always indoor gardening, you don't have to have an elaborate hydro set up to enjoy having fresh herbs, lettuces, and greens on hand. You can grow most things under florescent lights unless you're looking to grow things that fruit and flower. In that case, I'd suggest an HID system.

For balconies I'd suggest this product:
https://rootpouch.com/vertical-gardens

I'm trying to get our company to carry it because it's so cool! It's made from recycled plastic bottles. The felt allows air to get through to the root zone of the plant. Well fed, non soggy roots= happy plants. You could probably sew one together as a DIY project, although I'm not sure how fabric store felt would hold up in the elements--I'm sure theirs is a stronger felt.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:54 am 

I have piccies!

Zucchini plant

Scotch kale

Green Mignonette lettuce

Ruby red chard and spinach...unfortunately not doing so well!

Arugula

Some herbs: chives, basil, thai basil, vietnamese mint, green onions and random greenery growing where I planted chillis.

Bok choi

Little container garden, you can see more herbs here (thyme, oregano, mint, parsley, cilantro)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:58 pm 

Jealous, Veglicious! I love the pics! It's nice to see green right now, all that is out my window is white white white. And coooold.

I'm obsessed over my garden blog and I will be updating regularly with pictures once I start sowing things! http://myheartshapedgarden.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:30 am 

Yep we have had so much rain. Too much. But the container plants like it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:20 am 
Seagull of the PPK

my chard is just dying (it's too hot for them- i have a new batch started out back)- tomatillos are just starting, eggplant too, pole beans almost done, okra totally neglected but happy, and lots of squash and such. a volunteer watermelon. the zucchini fell victim to powdery mildew just like last year. it's been so wet everything's half drowned.

a question for the masters:
my raspberries are covered with fruit, but the fruit isn't getting soft or sweet (although it's turning the deep red color). the plant is only a year old- is it because it's the first harvest that the fruit isn't ripening (some have actually dried up and turned blackish) or is there something wrong?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next