| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me with my black thumb please?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:23 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Hola PPKer's have not been around in quite some time. For the first time am living in a home on my own and enjoying attempts at being domestic. My new venture will be gardening. So far I have a few sprouts and jsut planted some more seeds. Fact is I suck at keeping plants alive.

So far I've sprouted:

tarrago-its getting super wilty though :(
basil, dill,strawberries,and chives.

I notice all of these are succeeded in egg cartons but not so much in pots despite using the same soil. I'm clueless.

Today I decided to start the other seeds I'd bought in big containers; eggplant, green beans, snow peas, kale, and carrots.

Any advice for a horrible gardener???

Post subject: Re: Help me with my black thumb please?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

rockin_ro wrote:
Any advice for a horrible gardener???

Just keep doing it until you're not horrible anymore. You will learn a lot more from your mistakes than from anything else.

One tip: super wilty does not necessarily mean it needs more water, it can also be caused by overwatering. Roots need oxygen so try to make sure they're not always saturated. This might also be why they're doing better in egg cartons than pots.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:24 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Do you mean you are transferring them from egg cartons to pots? If so are you going from inside to outside? To direct sun? Is the drainage in the pots worse than the egg cartons?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:12 am 
Saggy Butt

A picture is worth 1000 words if you've got a camera handy too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:56 am 
Bathes in Braggs

in general, what caterpillar said. just keep trying. eventually even plants that you have killed season after season will start living for you ;)

i'm getting good at gardening, but i still can't get a grip on celery. celery seems to hate me. just keep gardening!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I agree with just keep going, you'll learn eventually. Also read on the internet if something doesn't work. I always forget to water plants at some point. A bit of planning for when about to re-pot them will help as well, I tend to wait too long as well. But I also have small kids, so I'm too busy to worry about these things too much and they also like to pull at plants, so it's really not all my fault ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:50 am 
WRETCHED

I have a black thumb too, I'm hoping this year will be my year. I killed zucchini a few years ago. Who kills zucchini? I had the most success with peppers so I'm growing those this year with some other stuff.

Are there any tips for leaving during the hottest week of the year? I've seen mentions of upside down 2 liter bottles while on vacation. Any other good tips?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:04 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Stake and tie any plants that will get bigger, install automatic irrigation system, move plants on window sills out of direct sunlight, soaked towel in bath for indoor plants and put them all on there, outside potted plants or hanging plants move them out direct sunlight, cover the plants with netting material from garden centre or homedepot type of shop, put potted plants in soil pot and oil and when the compost dries out it will take some from the soil, wetted paper towel string from bowl of water to the soil that the plants sit in or ask a friend/neighbour to water your plants!

Just a few ideas, I'm sure there are more :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:12 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

A lot of plants don't like to be transplanted, especially while small. Tarragon and Basil are pretty delicate, also. When you are transplanting them from egg carton to bigger pot, you're probably having to touch and pull on the plant, I'm guessing they wouldn't like that at such a young age. Try starting the seedling directly in the bigger pot, planting a few more seeds than you'll want plants from, and then once they're about two inches tall, pull and toss the sadder more measly sprouts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:30 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

When transplanting, avoid handling the stems. Roots will regrow, strangled stems won't. I generally lightly dump the whole pot contents out into my hand and then gently separate plants out by root balls, teasing the edges to separate them. Make sure the soil is saturated before you start, and water them in well afterward.