| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rabbits
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:42 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The other day I planted some kale. Today I go check on my kale and it looks like leaves are missing. I am suspecting that it is rabbits because I have seen quite a few around my house. (Though I doubt it, it could also be deer.)

I love rabbits, but I don't want them eating my food. Any tips on keeping them away from the garden?

Post subject: Re: Rabbits
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:51 pm 
Huffs Nooch

we dug a 4" or so trench around our garden and buried the bottom part of the fencing to keep hungry critters from going under.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:00 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We had to build a chicken wire fence around our two raised beds to keep the rabbits from eating our broccoli and cauliflower. First we tried some green mesh fencing that we got at Lowe's (or Home Depot, don't recall). The rabbits chewed threw that in less than 24 hours and destroyed more broccoli and cauliflower plants. So my significant other quickly built the chicken wire fence...but since he did it quickly, he didn't build a way for me to open it, so it's now kind of hard for me to get in the garden! I'm a lot shorter than him and it's kind of comical when I want to get in there.

We've had the chicken wire fence up for several weeks now and the rabbits haven't found a way to breach it. It's not the most attractive fence, but it's in our backyard, so we don't mind.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:22 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Tzippy wrote:
We had to build a chicken wire fence around our two raised beds to keep the rabbits from eating our broccoli and cauliflower. First we tried some green mesh fencing that we got at Lowe's (or Home Depot, don't recall). The rabbits chewed threw that in less than 24 hours and destroyed more broccoli and cauliflower plants. So my significant other quickly built the chicken wire fence...but since he did it quickly, he didn't build a way for me to open it, so it's now kind of hard for me to get in the garden! I'm a lot shorter than him and it's kind of comical when I want to get in there.

We've had the chicken wire fence up for several weeks now and the rabbits haven't found a way to breach it. It's not the most attractive fence, but it's in our backyard, so we don't mind.

We do chicken wire fences around beds too, and I have to lean over them to weed/harvest. With the native rabbits here, very cute little guys, we haven't had to bury the wire. We also have deer and built 8' fencing around the garden, but of course this was before rabbits became a problem and it wasn't designed to keep them out. Although I haven't seen any for a few months - either other wildlife ate them or more likely a disease went through.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:53 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I don't think we buried the chicken wire, but it is staked down in lots of spots to make it harder for critters to get under.