| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: is there any reason i can't put compost against the house?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

finished compost that is. (i swear we used to be able to type longer subject lines on the old boards.)

i have concrete blocks as the basement wall, and water is likely to leak in during heavy rains. i was wondering if it would be suitable to pile compost against the house (since i can get it for free from the town) and keep the water from running downhill from my eventual potato hills. (so it'll be the same height as the potato hills, basically.)

i mean i can go get topsoil if i have to, but free is better.

google is totally failing me on this question.

Post subject: Re: is there any reason i can't put compost against the hous
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:07 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

the only thing i can think of is staining your foundation/wall and maybe smell if you have leak-in? if it's finished (like from the town) it shouldn't have any smell besides the good compost smell though. and dirt will stain just as bad as compost, i suppose.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That seems like a bad idea. You want to move the moisture away from your walls, not add a whole new layer of permeable soil that will just suck up water like a sponge and add to the soil pressure on your basement walls.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:22 am 
Seagull of the PPK

maybe it would be better to consider how you could direct the water in your yard (hard to tell without seeing, I remember your driveway garden type thing but not a part against the house) using trenches, sandbags, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:10 am 

it's this thing. (and actually, this part is perfectly fine with the drainpipe going into the soil there. it's the part just out of frame to the right.

there was a 36 hour continuous storm the other day, and really, the leak wasn't all that bad. i think another 6 inches of height should help it not trickle down the foundation. normal rains would probably not be a big deal. (i'm going to put a rain barrel at that downspout near the leaks, but since that one extends to the neighbor's driveway, i don't think that's the problem. it was likely excess that didn't manage to make it into the gutters and flowed straight off the roof.)

i did narrow my search terms, and found this: (it was the only hit) http://www.bobvila.com/posts/11380-craw ... waterproof it mentions only putting soil, not compost. it won't be too bad, i remember finding clayish soil not too long ago. i'll just move the compost aside and move that back there. bonus, there'll be a spot where there's deeper compost. win-win.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:48 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ah, we have had the same problem with so much volume of rain that goes right over the gutters. it happened a few times over the summer and was making me nuts (we had just installed the gutters and i was sure it was a problem with them, it turned out it was just too much rain at the same time)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:18 am 

yeah, mr carrot went to check out the volume of the lake that's across the street and down some stairs, and he said half the steps were covered up!!!! what? even during sandy it only got about 2 or 3 steps deep. (i think there's probably about 15 steps total? i never actually counted.) it was a lot of rain. :-) OH!! i have a trashcan out there. i just measured. we got 7 inches. definitely not typical. (too bad i haven't hooked my rain barrel up yet.)