| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i've decided to start growing mushrooms
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

i'm really excited! (and a little terrified) does anyone else grow mushrooms?

i ordered plugs to grow in a log outside, but then i decided i wanted to also try growing in coffee grounds from the local coffee shop, since the logs can take a year to colonize before fruiting. i went all around looking for buckets, and the best spot was a bakery inside my local grocery store. (ironically, the larger grocery stores were too efficient, and didn't really seem like they wanted to help. the smaller grocery store had a sweetheart working there who seems really excited for me. i'll be sure to bring her a colonized bucket once i have the method down pat. (i also spoke to someone at dunkin' donuts, and she said they bake off site, but if i spoke to a manager, they'd probably be happy to provide me with buckets during the next shift. i never followed up since the girl at ACME was so sweet.)

i ordered the blue oyster plugs from bountiful gardens who in turn ordered from fungi perfecti, but (and lucky me!) they accidentally ordered a "patch" which is colonized straw. so yay! (they then sent me the plugs in a second order once i let them know of the mistake. i was initially going to use some of the plugs to colonize the grounds, but this is even better, because i don't have a log ready, and i'm not supposed to open up the baggie with the plug spawn until i'm absolutely ready.

so, i removed the labels from the buckets and drilled some holes. in the 5-gallon buckets, i have 2 holes toward the bottom of the outer bucket which are covered with a breathable patch made from a layer of tyvek (from the post office) and a strip of "microporous" paper medical tape. on the inner bucket, there are the same holes at the top of the bucket with the patches, and then on the bottom of the bucket i have tiny holes drilled. (didn't bother to seal these up since the outer bucket has the patch.) this bucket i am going to use as a nursery to keep growing mycelium to then inoculate the smaller buckets.

in the 2 gallon inner buckets, i have 6 holes drilled on the verticals (with a 3/4" speedbor. i hope that's not too big. i haven't really found good specs on mushroom buckets, so i'm going kind-of blind) staggered. i don't know if that's too few holes, but i read that too many will result in clusters that don't have enough energy to grow big, so i figured too little is the way to go. i can always experiment with more later. (i also figured i should probably drill a weepage hole so it doesn't get waterlogged, so i put one of those teeny holes close to the bottom.)

one tip: i noticed is that a warm bucket (and probably a warm bit too) makes much cleaner holes than cold. also, put the drill on the slower speed if you have one. then i smooth them out with an x-acto. the teeeeny tiny holes that i drilled in the bottom of my mycelium bucket was much easier going with a dremel than it was with a drill. if you don't have a dremel, a manual push drill would probably do the job just fine (but i don't have one, so grain of salt and all). after a while with a regular drill, your fingers and forearms start to hurt from the awkward angle and constant button pressing. (i also drilled tiny holes in the bottom of another bucket to act as a colander to drain the "juice" out of the sterilized coffee.)

i ended up just plopping the coffee grounds into my large pressure canner, putting 2 gallons of water in to cover the grounds, and then i cooked it at 15 PSI for about half an hour. hope that was enough. then i drained it in my previously bleached/rinsed "colander bucket", let it cool with the lid on, plopped the grounds into the permanent buckets, then added the colonized straw.

i think i will probably surround the point where the two buckets meet with a strip of tyvek. just as a precaution. i think the coffee is heavy enough to create a seal there, but you can never be too safe.

now i'm in the waiting game. *fingers crossed* in the meantime, i will order one of paul stamets books and read up on more how-tos.

Post subject: Re: i've decided to start growing mushrooms
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wowwwww, I'll be watching in anticipation!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:02 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

this is exciting... i've always been interested in growing mushrooms

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have this book out now from the library (although I think I have enough neglected hobbies at the moment, so growing mushrooms may have to wait): http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781612121468

It seems pretty solid, and has instructions for growing mushrooms from home scale production all the way through to larger commercial scale.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:59 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I am interested in this too!
We almost tried to grow some at work but our boss nixed the program after we had already ordered the starts, which was awesome because we therefore couldn't get reimbursed but also couldn't return it. We meant to do it some time just for ourselves, but never got around to it because we never had time together to make them.

I am still a bit sad about that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:14 am 
Seagull of the PPK

there is a place an hour from here that sells kits- i am considering it but am not sure i have a location that would be appropriate. how is it going, SC?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:30 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh hey, I've been growing mushrooms! I have only done shiitakes in oak logs. I have four four-foot sections of log in a nice weedy shady spot in my yard. They were inoculated in the spring of 2013, and I did have to wait a year for them to start fruiting, but they were pretty productive last year! I would say we had about 4 decent fruitings throughout the year. And they were really super delicious, way more than buying shiitakes (already delicious) because they were so fresh.

I got my partner two spots at a mushroom inoculation clinic for his birthday, hosted by a lady that my partner did a master gardener program with, so she had ordered a whole bunch of logs (like 50 or 100 of them or something) and the plugs and the wax. We all took turns drilling holes in our logs and stuff. After we got them home it was really minimal effort- I put the sprinkler on them a couple times the first summer to keep them wet but that's it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:36 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Fun! I have bought a mushroom kit that had the spores embedded in a nutrient log. It was pretty easy! Doing everything from scratch seems tougher. I'll be very curious to see how you do!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:53 am 
Seagull of the PPK

electric_claire wrote:
I have only done shiitakes in oak logs. I have four four-foot sections of log in a nice weedy shady spot in my yard.

PPK filters have ruined my life
#imadeapoopie! #log

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:27 am 
Saggy Butt

I had several of those kits-to-use-under-the-counter at least 15-20 years back. They were very easy to use and very easy to tend - the most important thing was the temperature and light but I had no problems with either in the little cottage where I lived then. The white mushrooms from those were really very handy to always have on hand (well, sometimes I had to wait some days till the next generation had grown up again) and did taste great!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:03 am 
Tofu Pup

This is the first time I've heard someone grow mushrooms.... A bit weird, but goodluck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:02 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

torque wrote:
electric_claire wrote:
I have only done shiitakes in oak logs. I have four four-foot sections of log in a nice weedy shady spot in my yard.

PPK filters have ruined my life
#imadeapoopie! #log

My thoughts exactly!