| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey Gardeners: Seeds?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:07 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I buy all my own seeds at heirloom seed companies, however next year I'm planting a 900 sq. foot vegetable garden at my dads house. That means a lot of seeds, and potentially a lot of money. Since it's my dad's garden and he's not into heirlooms like I am I just want to get standard plants, as non-GMO as possible, but not fancy pantsy and expensive either. I don't want to resort to buying from burpee or the like. I'm just looking for similarly inexpensive vegetable seeds. Does anyone have a suggestion, or a favorite seed company?
Or if you happen to have any old seeds lying around that you don't want I'll take them! I'd rather plant old unwanted burpee seeds than buy new ones.

Thanks all!

Post subject: Re: Hey Gardeners: Seeds?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Pinetree Garden Seeds are great, and less than $2/packet. They have a great selection, and a few things in their sale section are less than $1/packet.

Johnny's is good, and if you use coupon code 10-1006, you get 20% off of your order.

Main Street Seed and Supply is cheap and they sell in bulk, which might be helpful if you want to, say, broadcast a 5x5 patch with lettuce seeds or something. I've never bought from them because I also only grow weird heirlooms!

Home Harvest Seeds sells heavily discounted Ferry-Morse seeds (around $1/packet). They also have the magical wonder that is seed tape for like $2/roll.

Generic Seeds is all non-GMO, minimal packaging, low prices. They have at least 100 types of seeds for under $2 each, and you can sort by price.

Here's a relevant Gardenweb thread: some good places to get seeds online.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:04 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i buy from pinetree when i need something odd but i had some issues with a few packets not germinating at all. 0%. Not sure if stuff got radiated or i got a bad batch (there were 3 or 4 packets) but it was really disappointing. if i were in the US i could have sent them back and got a refund, i think, but from outside it wasn't practical.

(note, the things that didn't germinate were sort of odd- red shiso, stevia, and a few heirlooms like pattypan squash and types of gourds. ;-( )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:35 pm 

Thanks guys! Wow stephanie, awesome list. I'll surely check out those sites.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:49 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I order from Pinetree also, especially when I want to try a variety out to see if I like it. A lot of their seed is in very small lots though, so they don't go far, especially if you save seed from year to year in cool, dry storage. I have had trouble, like Torque, with poor germination, but I've had problems with other companies too. Probably my worst luck with Pinetree is with winter squashes that have cross-pollinated and are not true to type.

If anyone does want to try organic, interesting seeds though, I'd recommend Wild Garden Seeds. They specialize in greens and primarily sell wholesale to other seed companies, but they also have a nice on-line retail catalog. Their seed packets are huge. http://www.wildgardenseed.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:48 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Seconding Johnny's Selected Seeds! They have been great seeds for me. And check prices on specific seeds - sometimes a place like Seeds of Change will have something you want for less than other places.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:51 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My boss is quitting in order to open a nursery where she will be able to promote agrobiodiversity, she plans to sell seeds probably starting next year! I will definitely let you guys all know once she is up and running!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kibbles wrote:
I buy all my own seeds at heirloom seed companies, however next year I'm planting a 900 sq. foot vegetable garden at my dads house. That means a lot of seeds, and potentially a lot of money. Since it's my dad's garden and he's not into heirlooms like I am I just want to get standard plants, as non-GMO as possible, but not fancy pantsy and expensive either. I don't want to resort to buying from burpee or the like. I'm just looking for similarly inexpensive vegetable seeds. Does anyone have a suggestion, or a favorite seed company?
Or if you happen to have any old seeds lying around that you don't want I'll take them! I'd rather plant old unwanted burpee seeds than buy new ones.

Thanks all!

That's funny--I just came across some seeds I am not using. These are old, from 2007 and 2008, but I think they are supposed to be good for five years, aren't they? I have at least:

Burpee cilantro
Botanical Interests Armenian burpless cucumber
Botanical Interests catnip
Botanical Interests celebrity tomato
American Seed super marmalade tomato
American Seed lemon cucumber

and I may have more. Send me a PM if you're interested and I will send them out!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:11 pm 

stephanie wrote:
Home Harvest Seeds sells heavily discounted Ferry-Morse seeds (around $1/packet). They also have the magical wonder that is seed tape for like $2/roll.

I ended up ordering the seeds from this company, they had the best variety and price. I want to point out that you can make your own seed tape with crappy dollar-store toilet paper, seeds, glue (or just a spray bottle of water) and some patience! That's what I'm doing this spring.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:39 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

super gardener!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Beauty Beyond Belief is really great. Their seeds are wonderful, but really inexpensive, and they donate tons of seeds to community gardens and school gardens.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:27 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Along with the other websites listed here, I'd like to give a shout out to Seed Savers Exchange (http://www.seedsavers.org). They have an online store that offers an incredibly wide variety of heirloom seeds (as well as dried heirloom beans - a great way to try out beans that are new to you), but you can also become a member of the organization and receive a yearbook in which members state what heirloom varieties they have been growing. As I understand it, members can request seeds from or offer seeds to other members. That said, I've never tried out the seed exchange, because my postage-stamp sized yard doesn't permit me to grow much, so I could never offer seeds to others.

You could also check out your local craigslist; sometimes people offer seeds, including heirloom seeds, on ours.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:35 pm 

I'm going to a seed swap next saturday where i can do some tradesies. Do you have anything like that in your neck of the woods?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:02 pm 

Magpie-Grin wrote:
I'm going to a seed swap next saturday where i can do some tradesies. Do you have anything like that in your neck of the woods?

Yes, but it seems it's full of old ladies who only swap flowers!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:55 pm 

alligatordisco wrote:
Magpie-Grin wrote:

Yes, but it seems it's full of old ladies who only swap flowers!

Oh, that sucks. My seed company suggestions are ones from BC, so not much help really. We now have the luxury of paying HST (12% tax) on seeds and other gardening related materials.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:15 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If anyone is interested, I just found a coupon code for free shipping at Johnny's Selected Seeds and it really works!

11-1005

It just saved me $6.95 on 3 packs of seeds so I'm very happy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:18 pm 

Thanks Aubade!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:20 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Does anyone want to sell me some seeds or know where I can get like, a standard garden mix? I have a good sized garden, but I definitely don't need even 40 seeds for one plant so i'd rather just go halfsies.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:58 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Does anyone want to sell me some seeds or know where I can get like, a standard garden mix? I have a good sized garden, but I definitely don't need even 40 seeds for one plant so i'd rather just go halfsies.

I have a lot of seeds and different varieties, I'd love to share! Just give me a list of what kind of vegetables you're looking to grow, I usually have multiple varieties of everything. I'm sparse on root crops though, I don't like them so I don't grow them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:01 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Okay, I've got pretty much everything but I need some lacinato kale seeds.Mmm kale.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:11 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

alligatordisco wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

I have a lot of seeds and different varieties, I'd love to share! Just give me a list of what kind of vegetables you're looking to grow, I usually have multiple varieties of everything. I'm sparse on root crops though, I don't like them so I don't grow them.

I don't grow a lot, but I grow a lot of tomatoes (mostly for sauce, but I like to grow some smaller ones for salad), Eggplant, bell peppers, and basil. I'd also like to try and grow some leafy greens this year, in a long stone planter. And cucumbers, I tried growing those one year but some crasshole birds ate all of my flowers! Any other herbs are good, except I found a whole packet of cilantro in my room a few weeks ago.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Just started my first batch of seeds today (10 different kinds of tomatoes, 7 different kinds of peppers). I have 115 packets of seeds. INSANE! If anyone would like to try some of what I have, drop me a line.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:38 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I just placed an order with seed savers! I mostly did it for the lacinato kale, but I also ordered red russian kale, 3 kinds of lettuce (red flame, the spotty romaine and red romaine), 2 kinds of cherry tomatoes (red and yellow) and some watermelons that love hot weather and sandy soil.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:40 am 
ol' garly cooch

i'm a big fan of renee's and seeds of change. i can get these at work, so let me know if you want any.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Here's another thread that should be moved to the greenhouse.