Post Punk Kitchen Forum
http://forum.theppk.com/

Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8499
Page 5 of 6

Author:  rabidchild [ Sun May 08, 2011 8:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

AndyDufresne wrote:
I wonder if anyone knows what this plant is.
Image
I was out weeding in the garden today and noticed a lot of this. I don't think it's something I planted, but I can't be sure! It's really viney.


It looks like it could be Morning Glory, which is pretty invasive. It does flower though, but climbs all over everything and chokes out other stuff.

Author:  mel c [ Sun May 08, 2011 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

Our little yard! There isn't much space for gardening, especially since we're surrounded by big trees, taller houses, and a hill. We've had to redo the flagstone and the French drain to keep our basement dry, so now I can finally concentrate on making it pretty and edible!

Image

I built a little structure for the beans to climb on this weekend. Squash, strawberries, and nasturtiums are along the garage on the left. Excuse the dirty patio; I made quite a mess excavating the French drain and never really cleaned up after myself.
Image

I didn't want to waste the green beans after thinning, so I put the extras in a container in the side yard. I also started some more lettuce and Thai basil.
Image

Author:  AndyDufresne [ Sun May 08, 2011 9:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

rabidchild wrote:
It looks like it could be Morning Glory, which is pretty invasive. It does flower though, but climbs all over everything and chokes out other stuff.


From what I can tell, the leaves of this plant are thicker and more waxy than morning glory. Also a more olive-toned green and come to a sharper point. I really have no idea, though. Maybe! Thanks for the suggestion!

Author:  AndyDufresne [ Sun May 08, 2011 9:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

mel c wrote:
Our little yard! There isn't much space for gardening, especially since we're surrounded by big trees, taller houses, and a hill. We've had to redo the flagstone and the French drain to keep our basement dry, so now I can finally concentrate on making it pretty and edible!

Image

I built a little structure for the beans to climb on this weekend. Squash, strawberries, and nasturtiums are along the garage on the left. Excuse the dirty patio; I made quite a mess excavating the French drain and never really cleaned up after myself.
Image

I didn't want to waste the green beans after thinning, so I put the extras in a container in the side yard. I also started some more lettuce and Thai basil.
Image


I love your patio garden, especially with those beautiful, mature trees! What a nice outdoor space.

Author:  jewbacca [ Mon May 09, 2011 10:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

yay! now that i have figured out how to post pics, i'll be posting some stuff tonight. i really enjoy the diversity of everyone's space.

Author:  Momo [ Mon May 09, 2011 10:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

Mars wrote:
Is your Euphorbia quite a bit bigger now? I keep seeing these GIANT euphorbia's all over town... Love them. I'm using them in flower arrangements too right now, so fun.

It was huge but someone or something ripped it out :( I had it set aside to replant and the landlords caretaker threw it out...

Author:  jewbacca [ Mon May 09, 2011 11:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

rabidchild wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
I wonder if anyone knows what this plant is.
Image
I was out weeding in the garden today and noticed a lot of this. I don't think it's something I planted, but I can't be sure! It's really viney.


It looks like it could be Morning Glory, which is pretty invasive. It does flower though, but climbs all over everything and chokes out other stuff.



it's either morning glory or vineweed. both invasive. i don't think vineweed flowers though, so it's probably the former rather than the latter.

Author:  Veglicious [ Thu May 12, 2011 8:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

mollyjade wrote:
Image
My nephew picking carrots in the garden.

Seriously cute.

I feel like all I can grow is arugula and cilantro. What gives garden? WHAT GIVES.

Author:  jewbacca [ Thu May 12, 2011 8:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

veglicious, have you tested the pH of your soil? what are you feeding your plants? have you considered passive hydroponics-(growing in non soil media). for those of you growing in containers, are you using containers that can drain well? drill or poke some holes so the plants don't cook themselves.

mel c- i'm incredibly envious of that back patio area. so cute!

kids+gardens=squee. a sign of a healthy child is when they are dirty from playing outside!

i finally took a bunch of pics last night and will get them downloaded to flicker later. i've been juggling a bunch of other things in addition to my normal mommy duties.

Author:  AndyDufresne [ Thu May 12, 2011 11:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

Momo wrote:
Mars wrote:
Is your Euphorbia quite a bit bigger now? I keep seeing these GIANT euphorbia's all over town... Love them. I'm using them in flower arrangements too right now, so fun.

It was huge but someone or something ripped it out :( I had it set aside to replant and the landlords caretaker threw it out...


That's sad!

Author:  rabidchild [ Sun May 15, 2011 8:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

I don't have pictures today because it's pouring rain (and will be all week) but I have BABIES! I have pea shoots, and wee little baby kales, and wee little baby lettuce, and radishes that shot up overnight, AND I have currents and gooseberries the size of peppercorns! The gooseberries are SO COOL because they're striped like gooseberries, only wee itty bitty. I won't get more than a handful of each this year, since I just put the bushes in last year, but I am totally psyched anyway!!

Author:  AndyDufresne [ Sun May 15, 2011 11:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

rabidchild wrote:
I don't have pictures today because it's pouring rain (and will be all week) but I have BABIES! I have pea shoots, and wee little baby kales, and wee little baby lettuce, and radishes that shot up overnight, AND I have currents and gooseberries the size of peppercorns! The gooseberries are SO COOL because they're striped like gooseberries, only wee itty bitty. I won't get more than a handful of each this year, since I just put the bushes in last year, but I am totally psyched anyway!!


Exciting! Yes photos, please! I love baby plants!

Author:  Veglicious [ Mon May 16, 2011 7:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

Nope I haven't tested the pH, I will do that if things don't grow very well. I think maybe I'm just too impatient. I can see carrot tops coming up. :)

Author:  mollyjade [ Mon May 16, 2011 9:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

My dad gave me 8 assorted tomato plants, 3 tomatillos, and lots of onion sets when I visited him this weekend. And yesterday I bought 50 gallons of VEGAN compost for $15 at a local garden store and put together my second garden frame. I'm in garden heaven.

Author:  jewbacca [ Mon May 16, 2011 1:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

mollyjade wrote:
My dad gave me 8 assorted tomato plants, 3 tomatillos, and lots of onion sets when I visited him this weekend. And yesterday I bought 50 gallons of VEGAN compost for $15 at a local garden store and put together my second garden frame. I'm in garden heaven.


score!

Author:  aelle [ Mon May 16, 2011 8:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

Indoors: the basil survived winter and is starting to prosper again.
Image

On the balcony (facing south-west, sunny in the afternoon and evening)
The mint was in an awful condition, but after a radical cut and much sun exposure, it's sprouting again! Image

Zucchinis:
Image

Various lettuces:
Image
Image

They were the first seeds I planted, and I had no idea so many of them would take. That's why they're so crowded!
And yes, they're growing in dumpstered drawers:
Image

On the roof, I'm growing leek:
Image


Now here's what my landlord is growing: cherry tomatoes:
Image

A shitload of peppers:
Image

And many greens:
Image
Image
Image

Author:  Mars [ Tue May 17, 2011 10:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

YUM... love the container garden thing you/your landlord have going on. Also cute pup!

Author:  Mars [ Tue May 17, 2011 11:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

Ooh question... I didn't visit my plot in a little longer than I should have, and when I went yesterday I noticed my mustard greens were bolting a little. I picked off all the flower heads... That is the thing to do usually right? Reading through a google search it seems to be that many people just give up entirely if that happens, pull the entire plant. I tasted the leaves, sure, they're a bit bitter I suppose but they're still tasty, and with dressing the bitterness won't be noticeable. Anyhow, google said nothing about clipping off bolt-heads but I swear I've read before that's the thing to do to slow it down.

Author:  jewbacca [ Tue May 17, 2011 12:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

Mars wrote:
Ooh question... I didn't visit my plot in a little longer than I should have, and when I went yesterday I noticed my mustard greens were bolting a little. I picked off all the flower heads... That is the thing to do usually right? Reading through a google search it seems to be that many people just give up entirely if that happens, pull the entire plant. I tasted the leaves, sure, they're a bit bitter I suppose but they're still tasty, and with dressing the bitterness won't be noticeable. Anyhow, google said nothing about clipping off bolt-heads but I swear I've read before that's the thing to do to slow it down.


yep, you're right. if anything, the bigger mustard gets, the spicier it becomes. lettuces typically bolt in heat.

Author:  Aubade [ Tue May 17, 2011 2:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

I clip the heads off my basil to slow down bolting, but haven't tried it with mustard greens. Last year I just let them go, and they ended up with a ridiculous infestation of white flies. I guess mustard greens + super hot summer = white flies! This year I'm going to make sure I harvest them before that happens!

Author:  Momo [ Wed May 18, 2011 11:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

The back steps got a facelift today!
Image
Snapdragons, Dianthus & Lobelia Riviera
Image
Same combo as above, different pot
Image
Some teeny tiny Chicks n Hens and a beautiful new purple leafy plant, the name escapes me atm.
Image
Schizanthus, Cosmos, Mini rose bush, Lobelia Regatta, Salvia and a few others
Image
Same combo as above, different pot, different colour varieties
Image

Author:  AndyDufresne [ Wed May 18, 2011 11:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

Oou! These container gardens are fabulous! Momo, that unidentified purple plant is "Purple Queen" (Tradescantia pallida) I believe.

Author:  Kitteh [ Thu May 19, 2011 2:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

This thread is fantastic! I love seeing all the different set ups. I'll post some photos soon, I've gone from a balcony mini-garden to having a proper garden & a courtyard. Right now I'm trying to identify all the plants that are already here, there's such a random mix: roses, succulents, a grape vine, murraya and other ones I can't identify.

Author:  mollyjade [ Thu May 19, 2011 7:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

AndyDufresne wrote:
Oou! These container gardens are fabulous! Momo, that unidentified purple plant is "Purple Queen" (Tradescantia pallida) I believe.

I've always seen it called Wandering Jew.

Author:  jewbacca [ Thu May 19, 2011 8:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!

every time i've tried to post my garden pics, one of the kids shiitakes their pants. i'll try to post something tonight. these gardens look great!

whiteflies on mustard greens? really? i would think the spiciness of the plant would keep those things away. huh.

Page 5 of 6 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/