| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:03 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

The dog bed seems to be doing well!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mrsbadmouth wrote:
The dog bed seems to be doing well!

Fresh spring beagles!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:44 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Magpie-Grin wrote:
I just wanted to share this pic of portable greenhouses I built for any other people who don't have really hot weather. They cost about $6 each for all of the supplies. I use them for my sweet peppers. You can also make a bigger one with a wooden pallet and 1" poly tubing (irrigation). I'll try to get a pic of the one the compost education centre built.

Cutest gardening structure ever, and such a great idea! I just bought a few supplies to try to build something like these. Where did you get that clear plastic? I have sheets of polyurethane but it's slightly opaque.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:33 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

alligatordisco wrote:
Magpie-Grin wrote:
I just wanted to share this pic of portable greenhouses I built for any other people who don't have really hot weather. They cost about $6 each for all of the supplies. I use them for my sweet peppers. You can also make a bigger one with a wooden pallet and 1" poly tubing (irrigation). I'll try to get a pic of the one the compost education centre built.

Cutest gardening structure ever, and such a great idea! I just bought a few supplies to try to build something like these. Where did you get that clear plastic? I have sheets of polyurethane but it's slightly opaque.

I got it had the local hardware store around the corner from where my plot is. They sell it by the metre. I'm sorry, but I don't know what it is called off hand. I've heard you can use the plastic bags mattresses come in.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:02 pm 

Here are some pictures of a green house using a pallet and poly tubing. I am planning on putting one of these in my parking space, since I don't have a car and it gets lots of sun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Magpie-Grin, there is a community garden here that does something similar with PVC pipes. They don't leave the plastic sheeting up most of the time, but it makes it easy for them to cover plants if it is going to get cold at night.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:36 pm 

Tzippy wrote:
Magpie-Grin, there is a community garden here that does something similar with PVC pipes. They don't leave the plastic sheeting up most of the time, but it makes it easy for them to cover plants if it is going to get cold at night.

I thought it was such a great idea, because it is semi-portable. We leave the plastic on most of the time and just vent it, because it doesn't get very hot here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:39 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Magpie-Grin wrote:
alligatordisco wrote:
Magpie-Grin wrote:
Alligatordisco, what do you do with all of your veggies? I really admire your gusto and organization!

My gardens are so big this year because the majority is for my dad (in his yard), and I'm sure he'll do his best to eat as much of them as possible. I'm looking into food banks that will take extra produce, which I'm sure I'll have. Friends and family will get their share too, and I hope to master the art of preserving by mid-summer.

Food banks are an excellent way to share your excess veggies. I just enrolled in a new program here called plant a row grow a row, and it is for a local food bank. I'm also hoping to do some canning this season, too.

Aubade, I remember commenting on your lovely metal trellis. I grabbed mine from my allotment garden, and fixed it up. We have a section of supplies that gardeners are no longer using. It is cool, because you see things in different peoples gardens.

this is boss! did you just use plastic sheeting?

i can't post pics from work, but i can comment on anything gardening related. i just started mine ( a little early mind you) but that's how i get. i have peas, chard, mache, spinach, and kale going right now. they're just lil' babies. this week i'm getting onions and potatoes in containers. i'm also getting some other stuff ready to propagate.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:07 pm 

jewbacca wrote:
this is boss! did you just use plastic sheeting?

i can't post pics from work, but i can comment on anything gardening related. i just started mine ( a little early mind you) but that's how i get. i have peas, chard, mache, spinach, and kale going right now. they're just lil' babies. this week i'm getting onions and potatoes in containers. i'm also getting some other stuff ready to propagate.[/quote]

I know that urge to start early, especially listening to people on the ppk who have started their gardens. I started my peas, potatoes, spinach, beets, radished, lettuce, and cilantro in my plot, and started onions, and peppers inside. They weather has gotten wet and cooler, again here. I hope this year is better that last for harvesting.
I'm not sure what the plastic is actually called at the hardware store. I'll try to find out by this weekend. They just said that it would work for a green house. Working with it, it did have a bit of stretch, if that helps at all.

ETA: I don't know what I have done here with the quoting. Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:16 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

My plot keeps getting attacked by these guys

Rah, rah, I'm going to eat your whole garden!

So I want to put up some kind of physical barrier. What do you guys think? I was thinking something like this?

(I have a small square plot lined with concrete blocks)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

hey vegilicious, just a hip-high fence worked for us, unless your garden is big enough for the turkeys to get a run-up and jump-fly in and out. so you probably don't need the roof bit and then you can just step into your garden without hassles of getting the lid off and stuff :) we had fairly large garden beds when we had a turkey problem and we never needed to put a roof on the fence.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:06 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Turkeys!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

The "accidental" garden continues to flourish! And people said growing parsley was hard! Pssshhhht. Something is eating my chard, though. I don't use anything but water, so I guess that's to be expected.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2170/201 ... 355882.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Lazysmurf, I hate thinning carrots too! So I started making my own seed tape, and it works great! In fact, I've got to get on that this week so I can plant them this weekend. I describe the process here: http://grow-peace.blogspot.com/2010/05/ ... -tape.html I think this year I am going to omit soaking and use glue, since I want to do it a few days ahead of time.

And wow graffiti, so it was parsley! That's an amazing amount, very impressive! My tabouli loving husband would be so happy with all that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Aubade- Thanks for the tip! I will deffinatly try it next time. I'm a little worried that they are never going to get very big since it took me a while to thin them out.

The cucumbers all sprouted over the weekend!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I started peppers and celery seeds about a week and a half ago and I've got little sprouts now...yay! I've never started from seeds before. I've been reading a ton of stuff and sometimes it sounds really difficult to succeed and sometimes I read about people throwing seeds around and having awesome gardens.

This morning I started some tomatoes. I went a little crazy at the seed shop, so I have a lot of stuff to start in the next few weeks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:52 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Aubade wrote:

And wow graffiti, so it was parsley! That's an amazing amount, very impressive! My tabouli loving husband would be so happy with all that.

I told my boyfriend I was going to make tabouli, because I love it too, but I haven't had the heart to cut a bunch of it yet. I've picked bits off of it and eaten it, at it's SO sweet and flavorful, but I feel so proud of it that I can't even bring myself to cut it down. It's funny how that can be.

I HAVE to cut the lettuce soon. It's also getting holes in it and I don't think I can control it.

Is it bad to eat produce that has been "eaten" by something? It's not an animal...I think it's just bugs or something.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:01 am 

graffiti wrote:
Is it bad to eat produce that has been "eaten" by something? It's not an animal...I think it's just bugs or something.

It is fine, just make sure whatever it is isn't hiding somewhere in it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:02 am 
ol' garly cooch

Aubade wrote:
Lazysmurf, I hate thinning carrots too! So I started making my own seed tape, and it works great! In fact, I've got to get on that this week so I can plant them this weekend. I describe the process here: http://grow-peace.blogspot.com/2010/05/ ... -tape.html I think this year I am going to omit soaking and use glue, since I want to do it a few days ahead of time.

i loved this method so much, i posted it on our company's facebook page to share. genius!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:51 am 

graffiti wrote:

I got sick of picking cabbage loopers off my kale and just harvested it all. I froze it for use in smoothies since it's pretty badly eaten.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:58 am 
ol' garly cooch

mollyjade wrote:
graffiti wrote:

I got sick of picking cabbage loopers off my kale and just harvested it all. I froze it for use in smoothies since it's pretty badly eaten.

Are you opposed to using caterpillar killer by Safer brand? If not, that stuff works and is okay to use until day of harvest.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Magpie-Grin wrote:
I thought it was such a great idea, because it is semi-portable. We leave the plastic on most of the time and just vent it, because it doesn't get very hot here.

You could even put casters on the bottom of the pallet and it would be totally portable! I had a similar idea to fill my driveway with raised beds on casters to follow the sun around the side of the house, but realized that was way more ambitious than I have time for.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:57 pm 

jewbacca wrote:
Are you opposed to using caterpillar killer by Safer brand? If not, that stuff works and is okay to use until day of harvest.

I didn't want to buy something just for two plants. How long would it last?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:57 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

mollyjade wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

Yeah, same here. Also, since I wasn't even expecting it to grow, all of this is kind of surpise to me. Also, at first I thought it was one of the neighbors dogs nibbling at the leaves, but I'm realizing it's probably a bug of sorts. How can you tell which bug it is?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:53 am 
ol' garly cooch

graffitipassion wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

Yeah, same here. Also, since I wasn't even expecting it to grow, all of this is kind of surpise to me. Also, at first I thought it was one of the neighbors dogs nibbling at the leaves, but I'm realizing it's probably a bug of sorts. How can you tell which bug it is?

I went out to the retail store and couldn't find an exp. date on it--the retail peeps stated it pretty much lasts forever. The main ingredient is BT--a bacteria that the caterpillar can't digest, and that's what kills them.

If you don't want to go that route, you can use netting. The looper and other caterpillars are moths. They pupate in the soil, emerge as moths, lay eggs on leaves, and caterpillar eats leaves. Make sure your plants are in the dark at night time and not near a porch or flood light which attracts the moths. Loopers and hornworms have a few life cycles in the summer.

Profile WWW  

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next