| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden hoes - Show me your garden!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:00 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I was planning to use netting next year, but it's too late this year. But maybe I'll buy some of the BT if it won't expire quickly. Thanks, jewbacca!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:08 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

graffitipassion wrote:
How can you tell which bug it is?

I've used this site before to identify a bug. You can choose what vegetable you have and then it lists the common pests with a picture and also some diseases of plants.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/menu.homegarden.html

And this one is more comprehensive but doesn't have pics for every pest.
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/pests-of-vegetables

I had a terrible time with cabbage aphids last year and identified them with the first site. Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:40 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Muffin-Tuffin wrote:
graffitipassion wrote:
How can you tell which bug it is?

I've used this site before to identify a bug. You can choose what vegetable you have and then it lists the common pests with a picture and also some diseases of plants.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/menu.homegarden.html

And this one is more comprehensive but doesn't have pics for every pest.
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/pests-of-vegetables

I had a terrible time with cabbage aphids last year and identified them with the first site. Hope that helps!

there are many different kinds of aphids out there, but you can always tell them by their dual "exhaust pipes" at the rear of the insect. aphids are also born pregnant. yep--pregnant.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

jewbacca wrote:
Aubade wrote:
Lazysmurf, I hate thinning carrots too! So I started making my own seed tape, and it works great! In fact, I've got to get on that this week so I can plant them this weekend. I describe the process here: http://grow-peace.blogspot.com/2010/05/ ... -tape.html I think this year I am going to omit soaking and use glue, since I want to do it a few days ahead of time.

And wow graffiti, so it was parsley! That's an amazing amount, very impressive! My tabouli loving husband would be so happy with all that.

i loved this method so much, i posted it on our company's facebook page to share. genius!

Cool! What is your company's facebook page?

I made a bunch of tapes, using glue this time, on Saturday. It worked so well! Whoever first thought of that idea really is a genius. I had 120 carrots, 50 turnips, and 50 radishes planted in no time. Now I just can't wait to see how they grow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I got a late start and don't have much to show yet, but I'm glad to finally get this project off the ground! I wish weekends were longer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:33 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I was able to get a community garden plot... it looks small but it's actually 200 square feet. Holy bejeezus though look at all those weeds... Since taking this photo I have actually done a lot of weeding and some planting. I've been hand-weeding in the area that is less thick with weeds and I think that's tough enough, I am not sure it's very smart that my plan is to do that for the whole plot. I should probably rent a tiller or something. I really wanted to go there today but it's all wet out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:23 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

Mars wrote:
I really wanted to go there today but it's normal Portland weather.

;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:15 am 
ol' garly cooch

@ aubade: check out worm's way mail order on facebook. that's where i work!

@ mars--you'd be amazed at what you can grow in just a few feet of space. check out square foot gardening or straw bale gardening. ooooh--also check out a vertical out door set up by stacking a few bales on top of each other. let me know if you have any questions!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:20 am 
ol' garly cooch

here's a link to an example of a very dense, and adorable straw bale set up:

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/News/070 ... dening.htm

the web page is kind of cluttered, so ignore all the crap--and just focus on the method. vine plants like squash, beans, tomatoes, and peas LOVE to be trellised. google vertical gardens or square foot gardens for some inspiration. you can do this! stick it to the man and grow your own food. squee!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:19 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Mars, I hear you about the weather. It has gotten cold again here. I thought it was spring time - ya know, warmer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:05 am 

jewbacca wrote:
@ mars--you'd be amazed at what you can grow in just a few feet of space. check out square foot gardening or straw bale gardening. ooooh--also check out a vertical out door set up by stacking a few bales on top of each other. let me know if you have any questions!

Oh I'm not worried about the size, I said it looks small because the photo looks different than how it really looks. It's really not very small at all. I already weeded and attempted to hand-till up some area of this already and have planted things, so it's a bit late to do straw bales. Well that and I bus to and from my plot so not sure how I'd get some straw out there. :P But I am a bit concerned about what to do as far as compost goes, there is no on-site compost and they expect people to bring all the debris home to dispose of. Some people have set up their own mini-compost 'sheds' on their plots with wood... Hmm... I'm wondering, speaking of the straw bales, do you think it would be weird to make an outline with straw bales and leave the center empty to be filled with debris... but then plant in the straw around it so it's not an unsightly waste of space? If that would work I might just rent a vehicle so I can do this. Currently I have just a giant pile of upturned weeds looking nastay.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:04 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Mars wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

Oh I'm not worried about the size, I said it looks small because the photo looks different than how it really looks. It's really not very small at all. I already weeded and attempted to hand-till up some area of this already and have planted things, so it's a bit late to do straw bales. Well that and I bus to and from my plot so not sure how I'd get some straw out there. :P But I am a bit concerned about what to do as far as compost goes, there is no on-site compost and they expect people to bring all the debris home to dispose of. Some people have set up their own mini-compost 'sheds' on their plots with wood... Hmm... I'm wondering, speaking of the straw bales, do you think it would be weird to make an outline with straw bales and leave the center empty to be filled with debris... but then plant in the straw around it so it's not an unsightly waste of space? If that would work I might just rent a vehicle so I can do this. Currently I have just a giant pile of upturned weeds looking nastay.

Wire composts bins are simple to set up and look pretty tidy. You could even accept other people's garden waste, if that wouldn't create problems with the group running the garden.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:29 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
Wire composts bins are simple to set up and look pretty tidy. You could even accept other people's garden waste, if that wouldn't create problems with the group running the garden.

Hmm, well thing is that I'm not too concerned about the 'tidy' so much as, I want it to look not like a compost bin at all. Also since mostly I will be putting in weeds, a regular wire bin wouldn't really stop the weeds from just growing there and coming out the sides. Maybe what I could do is a ring of wire lined with black plastic, have all the compost go in there... then a ring of wire again on the outside with soil in between the outer ring and the inner ring, and plant stuff in the outer ring (like a vertical garden) so it looks nice. Only problem is how would I get the compost out? Heh... Hmm, I guess I could make a little tunnel at the bottom but that makes this a million times more complicated.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:26 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

mel c wrote:
I got a late start and don't have much to show yet, but I'm glad to finally get this project off the ground! I wish weekends were longer.

Beautiful-looking beds!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:07 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Mars wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

i don't think that would be weird at all. the other thing is that you can plant directly into the bale. at the end of the gardening season, the bales are composted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Veglicious wrote:
Beautiful-looking beds!

Thanks! Somehow power tools make me feel really productive.

I got the beds filled this weekend, but didn't get pictures. I planted green beans, lettuce, carrots, kale, collards, tomatoes, and cilantro. My mom also brought over some already thriving chard, beets, celery, some sort of choy, and a big oregano bush from their garden.

Last edited by mel c on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mars wrote:
Hmm, well thing is that I'm not too concerned about the 'tidy' so much as, I want it to look not like a compost bin at all. Also since mostly I will be putting in weeds, a regular wire bin wouldn't really stop the weeds from just growing there and coming out the sides. Maybe what I could do is a ring of wire lined with black plastic, have all the compost go in there... then a ring of wire again on the outside with soil in between the outer ring and the inner ring, and plant stuff in the outer ring (like a vertical garden) so it looks nice. Only problem is how would I get the compost out? Heh... Hmm, I guess I could make a little tunnel at the bottom but that makes this a million times more complicated.

I like this vertical garden around your compost idea. If you could put some small posts in the ground and instead of a ring, make a C shape with a small opening so you could scoop stuff out and turn the compost easily without having to go over the sides.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Pi. wrote:
Uninformed person question:
Why doesn't anyone plant the plants in the ground? What's with the raised beds? When I was a kid we'd just til part of the yard for the garden... maybe put cherry tomatoes in a planter in front of the house cuz they looked pretty, but the rest was stuck right into the ground in the backyard.

Another thing is soil toxicity. I know that in my neighborhood (most buildings here are from ca. 1880-1910) the city recommends raised bed gardening due to the risk of things like lead (from lead house paint) being present in the soil. I'm unsure of what other toxins may be hanging about, so I'm hoping to do raised bed or container gardening this year... or planting in the far corner of the yard (near the road and away from any houses) and hoping for the best. Most of the people here who do raised beds ill usually put a layer of plastic (usually just a trash bag or something) between the raised bed and the ground, to further reduce contamination risk.

Just a little food for thought for those of you living in older neighborhoods.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:09 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The beginnings of our first garden! You can spot a couple of our new fruit trees too. I'm so excited!

Our dining room table is overflowing with starts, so we picked up a used cabinet and glass cabinet door and built a cold frame.

And hey, you Portland gardeners, I have lots of heirloom tomato and pepper starts. If you're interested in swapping, let me know!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:06 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh that cabinet idea is so smart! Now I totally am going to be on the lookout for one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:13 am 

AndyDufresne wrote:
And hey, you Portland gardeners, I have lots of heirloom tomato and pepper starts. If you're interested in swapping, let me know!

I'm overflowing with broccoli, pickling cuckes, and a green and orange zebra tomato. I'd be happy to trade once I get them more hardy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:14 am 

mel c wrote:
If you could put some small posts in the ground and instead of a ring, make a C shape with a small opening so you could scoop stuff out and turn the compost easily without having to go over the sides.

Loving this... I might have to do this, it sounds fun now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:24 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Mars wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:

I'm overflowing with broccoli, pickling cuckes, and a green and orange zebra tomato. I'd be happy to trade once I get them more hardy.

That would be great! We're planning on planting broccoli and cucumbers, but I'd take some starts anyway. Perhaps I'd also exchange some tomatoes with you. I have Ananas Noire and Zebra Cherry tomatoes, plus Wonder Bell and Goldenstar peppers.

My babies!
(most of them anyway)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:35 pm 

Mine aren't as far along as yours... not near ready to leave the nest! Hehe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:14 am 
Level 7 Vegan

A couple of friends got together with us to purchase 300L of dirt and start rooftop/balcony gardens. They got in all sorts of trouble with their landlord who thought they were growing drugs. Hoping my landlord won't jump to the same conclusion.

I'm a super beginner gardener and have no idea if I started way too late this year. We'll see!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next