| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat May 23, 2015 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Orleans Vacation
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:52 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm heading down to New Orleans for a mini vacation Feb 27 - March 3. I already checked out the older threads (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13914&hilit=new+orleans and viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6089&hilit=New+Orleans ) and don't foresee food being an issue.

But have any new restaurants open since?

I'm going to be car-free so what's public transportation like?

In general, I try to avoid tourist traps but what are some must-see/must-do parks/museums/landmarks/clubs?
Also, does anyone have any local shopping recommendations? I like browsing!

Post subject: Re: New Orleans Vacation
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

my husband and i should be in NO jan 26 into 27 if anyone has suggestions of not to miss stuff.

we're going to try going to the lalaurie house. ( :-) ) and i absolutely want to try local foods. (beignets, po 'boys, gumbo) where should we go for those foods?

p.s. if anyone has a floor or couch to sleep on, i'd be ever so grateful. (anywhere along route 10 is fine. we can adjust our travel plans if you're far away from N'awlins) we have an airbed and can leave early if needed. thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:15 pm 
Taco Scientist

It's mostly about food, but here's my blog post on my trip in April 2014.
https://lazysmurf.wordpress.com/2014/04 ... w-orleans/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:53 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

i already read that. thanks! i definitely took notes. :-)
because of your excitement there, we may stay an extra night in NO just to go to breads on oak on wednesday morning since they're closed mon&tues. (lollerskates)

i have another question for the locals. anyplace to get individual slices of king cake? BoO has full sized ones if all else fails, but i don't think we need to get a full cake.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm a local and a great place to get vegan beignets at the vegan restaurant Seed. The Gumbo Shop in the quarter has vegan gumbo and always has a vegan beans and rice dish. The dive bar Erin Rose also in the quarter always has a vegan special poboy that's changes almost daily. There's a huge Vietnamese population here so be sure to get some vegan pho and bhan mi's. Mona's is a really fantastic middle eastern restaurant with outstanding falafel and the best hummus. There's actually a ton of options you just have to do your research. If you are going to one of our celeb chef restaurants and going to drop a lot of money call ahead and let them know you are vegan and they will be more than happy to make you something special. Google the blog New Orleans in green. She is always posting about where to eat in Nola and has a vegan eating guide and map. Good luck!!!