| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Charlotte?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

So, my marriage is probably breaking up and I have a high probability of a job offer in Charlotte, NC.The two aren't entirely related, but well, actually, being told my husband didn't want to stay married to me spurred the job search to wider horizons than just the Pacific Northwest. So I guess they are related.

Talk me into it, peeps!

I was down there over the weekend and really enjoyed it, and I even made time to go out to Wilmington/Wrightsville. I have a good friend there and met some great people and ate some great ethnic food.

I'd honestly rather move to Portland and stay in the West, but I don't have a job offer there. I don't even have a prospect at this point. I'm open to Charlotte, even though I never saw myself living in the South. As a SAD sufferer, I know Charlotte would probably be better for me mentally, and I'm going to need all the help I can get in that arena!

Post subject: Re: Charlotte?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:59 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Sounds like you have some good reasons to relocate to Charlotte: less SAD symptoms and having a good friend not too far away. I haven't been to Charlotte much since becoming vegan, but I'm sure there are some vegan-friendly restaurants and there might even be some vegan meet-ups nearby. Hope things go well for you whatever you decide!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't know a lot about Charlotte, BUT they do have Trader Joe's, IKEA, EarthFare, a really good vegan take-out place (http://awesomevegan2go.com/), and a raw restaurant that I haven't tried but have heard is good. Sorry that I can't be more helpful about the practical stuff (what housing prices, job opportunities, etc. are like there).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:24 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

My gf was born and bred in Charlotte. She wasn't too excited by the place...but Asheville is only 2.5 hours away, and its awesome here.

There probably are actual awesome things in Charlotte, actually. They have Ethiopian restaurants, so whenever I finally get there to visit her fam, I am demading a trip to an Ethiopian restaurant.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have friends in Charlotte and I often stop there on my way down to my parents in SC. It seems to be very vegan friendly. Go to the P-Stone! Enjoy live music, a local beer and a vegan sandwich.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:41 pm 
Huffs Nooch

The offer has come through and the numbers are very good, so I should be signing papers at the end of the week. I am excited by a new city and a new region, although I'm sad I'll leave the northwest without hitting Oregon or Alaska. Next life, I guess.

I'm trying really hard to stay positive about everything, even though it comes with a divorce.

All recommendations on places to go are noted, and I hope to be able to meet some of you in person once I'm there and settled.

Where in NC do the most PPKers live? I'm seeing Asheville a lot.

Also, I've been to Murphy a few times for the Folk School, so I'm looking forward to being closer to that. And having a community college system I can attend. And the company hiring me is ginormous, with astronomical benefits including continuing education. Career-wise I can't go wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I live halfway-ish between Asheville and Charlotte.

On the plus side, if you establish residence in the state we have an overall super college system. Granted, I don't really know how it compares to systems outside the state firsthand, but from my understanding our costs are fairly low (comparatively) and I know the colleges are good. Good luck with the move.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:52 am 
Tofu Pup

posting for future reference - any PPKers who need the vegan scoop in charlotte can hit me up!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:59 am 
Nailed to the V

I live in Anderson, SC now, which is about 2 hours away. Because I have friends living in Charlotte, I visit when I can. They have a Mellow Mushroom and a Brixx Wood Fired Pizza as well as many many others. All the listings on www.happycow.net make me want to move there. The Trader Joe's is the icing on the cake, though.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:30 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm thinking of driving down to Charlotte this Saturday for an afternoon trip at it's just under 3 hours away from me and I've never spent time there. If you only had 3-4 hours to hang out down there, where would you eat and what else would you do?