| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Huntsville, AL
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:09 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yep.

I have to travel here (for 6 days, Sunday-Friday) for work in March -- fifteen minutes west of (beautiful?) downtown Huntsville.

Am I going to starve? Because based on my HappyCow and VegGuide searches, it kind of looks like I might starve.. but maybe there are some secret vegan menus out there. I'll have a rental car, but not enough time to make it out to Birmingham or Chattanooga or anything. So I'm looking for stuff that's maybe half an hour outside the city, tops?

If there's anything particularly awesome to eat in/near Huntsville, please post about it here! I like to make Google maps of vegan-friendly restaurants in vegan-unfriendly-seeming cities I visit, and make them public for future reference, so hopefully I can make one for Huntsville, too.

Thank you! <3

Post subject: Re: Huntsville, AL
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

::crickets::

Uh oh. That doesn't bode well.

Booked my flight today. Now I'm just trying to track down a hotel that has a fully-functional kitchen in it so I don't have to spend a week haranguing unsuspecting waitstaff with weird animal product-related questions!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:33 pm 
ol' garly cooch

I'm revivin' and pimpin this thread for Steph and myself.

Huntsville as far as I know is a college town, so something should be available. When I attended Vida Vegan Con Woah Wren was on a panel along with some other vegans for "Small Town Represent!" and she made a point of saying, "If you live near a grocery store, you can be vegan."

I won't be going through Alabammy until Nov/Dec--we're planning a family trip to St. George Island and want to go during the off season. Our halfway point is Birmingham. Any Bama peeps up on what part of Birmingham is safe? Just curious.

D'oh! Right after I posted this I realized I was thinking of Auburn for Stephanie. Huntsville does have some schools, so I would hope there would be something that isn't cooked in pork down there! You might want to talk to Bianca of Vegan Crunk. She's all about vegan eats in the dirty South.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a vegan friend in Huntsville. I couldn't tell you anything about the restaurants, but I do occasionally see him post pictures of restaurant food, so there has to be something.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi guys,

I don't know if you've already come and gone through Alabama, but I thought I'd reply. I just moved to Birmingham a few months ago and this area is definitely lacking in vegetarian options on menus, much less vegan. However, if you're in Birmingham, The Bottletree Cafe is a very vegan-friendly restaurant, and has a fun, funky atmosphere. Hours are limited, though. Hope this helps, if not for next time you're in town.