| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savannah, Ga
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:39 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

So I'll be going there again in a few weeks and thus far I have been unimpressed. I keep hoping someday I'll find something exciting. Anyone have any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Savannah, Ga
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:56 pm 
Saggy Butt

There's a place called the Sentient Bean downtown. It's an all-vegetarian coffee shop, with some good vegan lunch options.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:32 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Yeah they have been the best I've found but I'm picking my mom up from the airport around dinnertime so that's not as helpful, sadly!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:11 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I think they have a Mellow Mushroom somewhere. It isn't very exciting, but it would serve as a dinner option. I would call ahead to verify the vegan menu items, since they vary based upon location and demand. Some locations can make tempeh hoagies, if you are not feeling the daiya pizza thing. I believe their barbeque tofu has honey in it. Also, be sure to ask them to leave off the parmesan butter on the bread or crust.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:54 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

We have a better Mellow Mushroom in Asheville so their's would probably make me sad. I might prefer the Moroccan restaurant I went to before, with the bellydancing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:59 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Moving down to Savannah in the next month or so, and the above exchange does not have me too hopeful. Are there at least some good places to buy vegan products? Nutritional yeast, Road's End Mac & Chreese, Daiya, Gardein? I'll want plenty of fresh veggies, tofu, and soy milk for my coffee, but I also like to have some of the convenience foods on hand.

Any suggestions appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:35 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Is there still that place where you eat lunch in someone's home (Mrs something?) and there's a bunch of dishes served family style at several tables in the living room etc? If it still exists, I recall that all the vegetables were vegan appropriate and enough to make a meal. Not a vegetarian place though. Anyone else have a clue what I'm talking about?
eta: I found it, Mrs Wilkes. http://www.mrswilkes.com/menu.html
I would call and discuss the vegan-ness of the options; some obviously won't work like mac and cheese, and gravy would be suspect. Probably the main value is the novelty factor and getting a sense of old time southern cooking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:20 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I remember that place from my first visit to Savannah, about 20 years ago! I thought I'd imagined that.

I wonder how many of the vegetables are vegan. I know my great aunt cooked her collards in some kind of animal drippings. Worth looking into, though. From the sounds of it, though, there are no exclusively vegan paces there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:51 pm 

SheDevil wrote:
I remember that place from my first visit to Savannah, about 20 years ago! I thought I'd imagined that.

I wonder how many of the vegetables are vegan. I know my great aunt cooked her collards in some kind of animal drippings. Worth looking into, though. From the sounds of it, though, there are no exclusively vegan paces there.

my recollection is that the things often cooked in animal fat were not here, but things that would have dairy or eggs probably do (that might not leave enough for a filling meal). definitely a point to check first!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:53 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Other than the health food store here, is there anywhere I can expect to find some vegan groceries like cheeses, burgers, maybe even Gardein? Does Kroger carry stuff like that? I can get a ride to the stores, but I'd like to make one big trip to start, just to get stocked up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:18 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Kroger's stock varies, depending on location, but I have seen all of those at my local ones; Savannah's Kroger probably has all of those things, too. They tend to have a 'Nature's Market' section where the bulk of it is shelved, refrigerated, or stored in the freezer. Look for the section with the bagged salads, too (probably in produce section); You might find some of the cheese, tofu, Tofurky, and refrigerated Gardein in that space. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

vegan eats at non-vegan haunts - I love the sandwiches at the Brighter Day Market on the south end of Forsyth Park! I love Butterhead Greens (across from the Bull Street Library), the Starland Cafe, Zunzi's on York/Drayton, the cafe in the Jepson Center, the Kayak Cafe. These are all places using local produce where you can eat for about ten to fifteen dollars!

More pricey - Cha Bella's! this organic gourmet gets it's name from the Basque farming hat!

We still don't have a vegan breakfast joint! I make carrot-ginger-molasses vegan pancakes at my little bed and breakfast two blocks from Forsyth Park -- The Inn at 909 Lincoln.

Can someone come open up a gourmet-dojo breakfast place in Savannah! My table only seats eight, and my residents are six! Besides, I want to do the eating!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:26 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Going to Tybee Island next week--anyone care to share more places to visit/eat with that in mind?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:51 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

So I'm on Tybee island right now, in a "vegetarian" bakery, and they have Isa's books. So cool! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:00 pm 

I went to Savannah a few weeks ago and wanted to report back. We stayed at the Inn at 909 Lincoln, mentioned upthread. Indeed she made vegan pancakes and the inn is lovely, a rare splurge for us. Sentient Bean is nearby and awesome, and there is a good health food store next door. We had good results for dinner at Ruan Thai.

Also, forget what I said before about Mrs. Wilkes, I must have a really bad memory. I saw one of their cookbooks in a store, and no single item was vegan--all the veggies had butter at least.