| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Supermarket advice for Florida
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:29 am 
Huffs Nooch

I'm going to be in Florida next month & was hoping someone could give me some idea about what supermarkets are like from a vegan perspective.

For instance, is all the soy milk you can buy actually vegan (the own-brand stuff you get in WalMart/Asda in the UK is not)? Do all supermarkets sell tofu? Do normal supermarkts sell 'natural' peanut butter & raw nuts or do you need a health food store for that type of thing?

I believe there's a Wholefoods about 30 mins from where I'll be, but would prefer not to have to drop ridiculous amounts of cash on food if I can help it.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Supermarket advice for Florida
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:34 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I think it is a myth that WF has to be ridiculously expensive. Sure, you can buy $9 boxes of crackers and $4 pieces of exotic fruit, but if you buy the 365 brand items and the featured produce items and avoid the luxury/convenience items, WF can be cheaper than regular supermarkets. They also don't require a discount card to get the sale prices like most other grocery stores.

I stock up on the dried pastas, some canned goods, frozen fruit, frozen veggies, and bulk bin items because those are all cheaper there for me than in my usual stores.

Any major chain store should sell tofu, a variety of shelf stable and refrigerated milks and convenience foods like Amy's and Gardein. Even Walmart has that stuff now. I don't know what you are considering non vegan soymilk--parent company issues?

Raw nuts can be hard to find and aren't very cheap anywhere, but check the international/Indian foods aisles or look for an international grocery store. WF bulk bins are probably as good a place as any unless you can find a Trader Joes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:34 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i think it might depend on where you are. We did pretty well in the Walmart in Orlando (just because that was all we had access to) since they had a lot of international stuff [stocked up on my marmite there, i did]. i'm not aware of secret non vegan soymilk (vit D thing, maybe?) but you can get soymilk almost anywhere in the US, if not fresh then in tetra paks.

there are some FL people here who can give you better advice for your region, i'm sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:31 am 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks for the advice, much obliged.

Regarding the milk yes it's a vit D thing - some of the supermarkets in the UK (Asda & Morrisons) definitely use D3 which is very annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Find a Publix! They have all the basics you'll need. What area will you be in?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:58 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hi Kelly

We're doing the whole Disney thing so we're staying in Kissimmee, which is pretty near Orlando I believe. Any advice from a local would be great!

Cheers!