| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Louisville, KY
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:30 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey PPKers,

Can anyone recommend restaurants in Louisville with good vegan food? I'm going to be there this weekend for a wedding and it also happens to be my two year vegan anniversary on Saturday, so I need some good places to feast and celebrate (and maybe find a vegan cupcake!)

Post subject: Re: Louisville, KY
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:31 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

There's a vegan food truck called Morel's you can find on FB or through an internet search. They park at different locations.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:28 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Ramsi's is really good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:15 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ramsi's is awesome, and if you are there on Sunday the brunch has a bunch of excellent vegan options.
The Swan Dive is a really cool, all-vegan bar.
Most places I ate when I was in Louisville have killer vegan options, even if it isn't a fully vegan place.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:44 pm 
Tofu Pup

superherogirl wrote:
Ramsi's is awesome, and if you are there on Sunday the brunch has a bunch of excellent vegan options.

Their menu does look amazing!

superherogirl wrote:
The Swan Dive is a really cool, all-vegan bar.
Most places I ate when I was in Louisville have killer vegan options, even if it isn't a fully vegan place.

It does seem like Louisville is more vegan friendly than I originally thought. Coming from Indiana, a veggie burger can often be hard to find...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:57 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I went to Ramsi's for lunch a couple days ago and was really disappointed. I ordered the Thai noodles (clearly a bad choice) and ended up with a GIANT plate of overcooked linguine noodles broken up into 1-inch pieces, sitting in a pool of oil and wilted lettuce. The mound of noodles was topped with fried tofu and snow peas (best parts of the dish), and a clumpy peanut sauce. The sauce had formed a skin on top, as if it had been sitting out for a long time. It was served with a random chunk of plain white bread. So weird! Oh, and there was a small piece of ground beef in my noodles. Fail. I didn't complain, but maybe I should have. It was my friend's birthday lunch, so I didn't want to make a fuss.

My friend got a non-vegan eggplant sandwich, which was also huge, but it didn't look particularly good either. So I guess they at least get credit for their portion sizes. I hope to go back someday and try something else because it's the sort of restaurant I want to like.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

ashley wrote:
I went to Ramsi's for lunch a couple days ago and was really disappointed. I ordered the Thai noodles (clearly a bad choice) and ended up with a GIANT plate of overcooked linguine noodles broken up into 1-inch pieces, sitting in a pool of oil and wilted lettuce. The mound of noodles was topped with fried tofu and snow peas (best parts of the dish), and a clumpy peanut sauce. The sauce had formed a skin on top, as if it had been sitting out for a long time. It was served with a random chunk of plain white bread. So weird! Oh, and there was a small piece of ground beef in my noodles. Fail. I didn't complain, but maybe I should have. It was my friend's birthday lunch, so I didn't want to make a fuss.

My friend got a non-vegan eggplant sandwich, which was also huge, but it didn't look particularly good either. So I guess they at least get credit for their portion sizes. I hope to go back someday and try something else because it's the sort of restaurant I want to like.

Ramsi's is actually one of the places I tried and it was really good. I went to the Sunday brunch buffet and for every omni dish, they had a vegan alternative. It was absolute heaven! I do recall some type of noodle dish that was pretty bland, but everything else was good. You should definitely give it another chance!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:09 pm 
Tofu Pup

Ashley - sorry you had a bad experience at Ramsi's! Vegans here love that place, it's our staple. If you go again, try the Banh Mi Sandwich, the Seitan Parm Panini, or Roasted Veg Panini. All three are ridiculously good, but yes, huge portions. As a cyclist I dig that but I can see why that's a little weird too. The side of bread is always pretty standard there, even with salads. They have vegan desserts though!

For others passing through our great city, here's what you need to check out (and HappyCow should have all of these listed):

Morels is our only all-vegan operation, and it's forking awesome, but he's not out all that much. Our food truck laws are messed up and we only started the whole thing this year, so he's usually out on weekends at bars. But we're workin' on it...

Roots and Heart & Soy are our two newest all-vegetarian places. Delicious asian food with in-house made tofu! Good prices, and owned by the same lady that does...

Zen Garden another all-vegetarian place that rules. More asian stuff but really good.

Some other asian restaurants if you're looking for good vegan eats are: La Que which has delicious sweet and sour mock chicken, and a host of sushi places:Maido, Wasabiya, and Asahi which all have good veggie rolls, tofu, and noodle dishes.

For vegan desserts, Rainbow Blossom has all kinds of delicious stuff in additional to all the staples of a vegan-friendly health food store. There's also Sweet Surrender, which features an all-vegetarian lunch, and vegan cupcakes all the time! They have some green tea and mocha ones which are dope. Another place with vegan treats is Cake Flour which has a lot of organic and local stuff - Sundays they are guaranteed to have vegan stuff while other days it may just be cookies or something.

Down the street from Sweet Surrender is North End Cafe which vegans love for their reuben and tofu dishes. In the same cafe-style as North End is Third Avenue Cafe in Old Louisville and Meridian Cafe, both of which have good vegan offerings.

Ethic food is really tops here. The Ethiopian places are very vegan-friendly: Addis Grill and Queen of Sheba. Mediterranean is off the charts with Grape Leaf, Shiraz, and Safier. Most of those are near downtown, but in the south end there are some good thai places as well as Vietnam Kitchen which has killer mock duck.

In short - we have tons of vegan stuff! I know Kentucky and/or Louisville doesn't seem like it would be a vegan-friendly town with the derby and southern cooking, but it's actually quite awesome down here. Come visit us!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Thanks for the recommendations, Seitanist! I'm sure I'll end up coming back to your post for reference in the future. I don't live in KY, but my dad and best friend do, so I travel there at least a couple times a year. My friend is actually talking about moving to Louisville next year, so I may be spending a lot of time there soon!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

Tofu pup has excellent suggestions. I would add Dragon Kings Daughter http://www.dragonkingsdaughter.com/
Affordable, cute, tasty japanese/mexican/amaerican fusion place with many vegan options.