| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Universal/Disney/Orlando
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:09 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Drunken Monkey is all sorts of amazing. they definitely have the best selection of baked goods in the area. I eat there at least once a week. :x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:36 pm 
WRETCHED

So talked to Mr Nil and he said he will take off work and come (tickets are cheap!) so we will have 2 days to do 'stuff' and fly out on Friday. (We have to be back Saturday) So yay! I'm just looking forward to some warmth.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

appifanie wrote:
Kelly wrote:
appifanie wrote:
The vegan disney thread on the old forum was AWESOME. We're going in August (OMG FL in August! KILL ME NOW.) I need all the info you got.

The husband originally wanted to stay at the Contemporary resort but then decided he likes this off site place that has kitchens because he's convinced I'll starve.

August! You'll die.

Stay on property! You'll have so much better of a time. Tons to eat in Disney and their resorts!

I know! Geez - he must be trying to kill me. And I'm in charge of booking I think so I'll just disregard him :D The other place looked DULL!! I saw pics for one place that had little Mickey's in the carpet and everywhere and even that would thrill Livi. Fun place!! My dad and I used to stay at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress - http://www.grandcypress.hyatt.com/hyatt ... /index.jsp - it's cool, but not 5 year old fun.

Yeah, that's one of the fun things about staying on property, Disney stuff is integrated into every little detail. Shae was so into that stuff when he was younger, like the mickey soaps. Man, he loved those stupid soaps. Plus, you can ride the rail or buses instead of driving and paying for parking each day which makes things so so so much easier.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:28 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Vantine wrote:
linanil wrote:
So I found out I'm going to Orlando in a few weeks. Sadly, most of my meals will be with other people although at least one should be by myself. If you had one place to eat, where would it be? Ethos? I am intrigued by Loving Hut.

Although I doubt I'd have any say but I'd appreciate vegan friendly options for someone who doesn't care for ethnic food? I'm hoping I can have some sway with the omnis but things like thai/indian get shot down pretty quickly. Even though it is my most favorite restaurant ever, I think it'd take a lot of begging/pleading to go to Sweet Tomatoes.

Personally, I would choose Ethos over Loving Hut. Hell, I would go to Drunken Monkey which is not even 100% vegan before I would go to Loving Hut. I ate in the Orlando Loving Hut once. (It's near Drunken Monkey.) The word to describe the experience is meh.
To Ethos!
When will you be in FL?

Really? We're still dreaming of Loving Hut from a year ago. We ordered so much he ate leftovers the entire car ride home, whining that we were going to explode but it was too delicious.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:30 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, I remember reading that Baby Cakes is opening up in Downtown Disney. Anyone know if it's open yet or not?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:48 am 
WRETCHED

So I wasn't sure if I was going to go to an amusement park while in Orlando but decided that one day we would. As a result, I booked a hotel nearish to Disney, the Hilton Parc Soleil. Which apparently is a 4 star hotel but was $90/night? I don't think I've ever stayed at a 4 star hotel. Every room has a kitchenette which is a plus.

Also booked dinner at Boma since online that seems to get decent reviews and plan to email them to let them know we are coming. I also want to see the animal kingdom lodge. I wouldn't want to spend the money to stay there but seems like it is interesting to see. Although I think I'm most excited about the eating at Sweet Tomatoes. Although I'll be in Denver the following week and plan to descend on Sweet Tomatoes there as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Animal Kingdom Lodge is so pretty. If you get there at the right time, there is storytelling and dancing and stuff outside, which we dug. We really, really loved Boma, but that was back when the magical TJ was our personal vegan chef (he's since moved on to another resort)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:07 pm 
Inflexitarian

MelanieC wrote:
Fee wrote:
I've read a lot of weird, conflicting things about the butterbeer. Like on one messageboard they said a rep contacted them and was just super vague about the answer - like it was listed as a non-dairy drink but according to FDA guidelines blah blah blah and they couldn't give out the ingredients, which kind of just made me roll my eyes. I'm not getting anything I'm not allowed to know the ingredients of, that's crazy. I don't need a detailed recipe, but let me know what I'm consuming.

Haha - I think that was me :)

I agree, I was like WHAT? You can't tell me what's in it. that is the difference between Universal and Disney. Disney pulls out a book and is really helpful and Universal no one knows and then no one can tell you because it's a secret.

According to a former student that works at Universal, they don't even tell the employees or let them look at the packages things come in. They are super duper insane. He worked for Disney Costume Characters before and LOVED it but jumped ship and hates Universal. Just from his experience I would likely never go to Universal. He brings his lunch every day because no one will verify for him if any of the employee break room food is even free of milk. (he has a milk allergy)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:05 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Loving Hut is awesome! Not much on ambiance but the food is yummy. We go to Orlando every few months (to see family) and eat there every time. Haven't been to ethos yet. There is an asian spot with a full veggie menu (Garden something?) that is delicious too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ethos is amaaaaaazing. Loving Hut is pretty decent, but very creepy cult feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:16 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Ethos is awesome. I would suggest Dandelion Cafe as an option as well. It is my favorite restaurant. It's really cute and quirky too and they have outside seating as well.

Infusion Tea is really great. The menu is vegetarian/vegan http://www.infusionorlando.com/index.html . Infusion's Pesto panini is so good. I consider both Infusion and Dandelion to be lunchy options - lots of salads, soups and sandwiches.

What area of Orlando are you staying near?

If you wind up going to Dandelion, there is a vegan bakery near them - Rhapsodic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

grrl13 wrote:
Loving Hut is awesome! Not much on ambiance but the food is yummy. We go to Orlando every few months (to see family) and eat there every time. Haven't been to ethos yet. There is an asian spot with a full veggie menu (Garden something?) that is delicious too.

Oh, Garden Cafe... That is an experience that should not be missed but it will be something you remember. I thought the food was better than Loving Hut. My favorite part is when the waitress doesn't like what you order so she argues with you. I think Bergedy experienced this when she came to Orlando once.
http://www.gardencafevege.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:28 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Jessy wrote:
Ethos is awesome. I would suggest Dandelion Cafe as an option as well. It is my favorite restaurant. It's really cute and quirky too and they have outside seating as well.

Infusion Tea is really great. The menu is vegetarian/vegan http://www.infusionorlando.com/index.html . Infusion's Pesto panini is so good. I consider both Infusion and Dandelion to be lunchy options - lots of salads, soups and sandwiches.

What area of Orlando are you staying near?

If you wind up going to Dandelion, there is a vegan bakery near them - Rhapsodic.

Rhapsodic was good and they are super nice. Parking sucks over there, however.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am 
WRETCHED

It was below 10 degrees here today although for some reason it didn't feel that bad. I think I'm going to go in shock.

The first couple days, I'm staying near UCF and then the last few days, I'm near Disney.

I used tripadvisor to help me pick my hotels. The hotel I'm staying at had a good review that said it was near an awesome italian restaurant... ... ... Olive garden. Huh? what? have these people ever had italian food?

I may go to Ethos on Sunday before I boogie to my hotel. My husband also said there is a mellow mushroom near my hotel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 am 

I went to Ethos yesterday and had their chocolate cake for the first time. not very impressive. :/ but the mimosa was great!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:22 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I highly recommend Ethos for Sunday brunch. They also have the best vegan shortbread ever, and it's like 50 cents. That place is pretty much the only thing I miss about living in Orlando.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:46 am 
WRETCHED

I'm bummed that Ethos looks to be closed at 3pm on Sundays. So I'm going to try Loving Hut. They say they have a buffet on Sundays until 9pm. My other choice would be Sweet Tomatoes but I'm going to Denver next week so I'll get Sweet Tomatoes one way or another in the next couple weeks :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:34 pm 

linanil wrote:
I'm bummed that Ethos looks to be closed at 3pm on Sundays. So I'm going to try Loving Hut. They say they have a buffet on Sundays until 9pm. My other choice would be Sweet Tomatoes but I'm going to Denver next week so I'll get Sweet Tomatoes one way or another in the next couple weeks :)

the Loving Hut buffet is awesome! they swap out their food every couple hours so if you sit there all day you can feast on a million different delicious things. and last time I was there, they had the most adorable girl doing acoustic stuff with her guitar.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:14 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Overall resort recommendation for Livi? Someplace cute and fun and vegan friendly but not stupidly expensive?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Are you going to Disney, Appifane?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:35 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

August. Save me!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Florida in August...You will not be cold. There is that. Remember that places that are indoor will be air conditioned all to hell so you might want to have some sort of light sweaters for anyone who might get chilly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

appifanie wrote:
Overall resort recommendation for Livi? Someplace cute and fun and vegan friendly but not stupidly expensive?

We usually stay at Pop Century. It's one of the cheapest Budget resorts, but it works well for us. Rooms are super clean, there are tons of cool giant pop culture things to look at around the whole resort, you can get a few vegan options in the food court (just veggie burger & ff or hummus & pitas- but we usually don't eat there much anyway), they have a huge arcade and themed pools, big store to wander. Their buses run really often so there isn't a bunch of waiting around like at the other budget resorts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:44 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Vantine wrote:
grrl13 wrote:

Oh, Garden Cafe... That is an experience that should not be missed but it will be something you remember. I thought the food was better than Loving Hut. My favorite part is when the waitress doesn't like what you order so she argues with you.

Yes, the server will bully you, glare at you, and slam your food on the table, but it's all part of the charm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:40 pm 
WRETCHED

Yesterday, Loving Hut was good BUT my stomach started acting iffy afterwards and acted iffy almost all day today. I'm not sure what it was but my tummy was just not happy. I only ate a little fruit today (not hard to do since the catered lunch with vegan option was a meat/cheese sandwich, pasta salad with meat, etc). Then I went to Ethos which was lovely although it was a little salty. I then swung by the Drunken Monkey for a drink.

I'm biting my nails a little because my husband is supposed to fly in tomorrow but with expected ice storm/snow, we'll see how well he does getting out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next