| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Asheville
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

looks like my husband and i are finally going to visit my SIL and her boyfriend in Asheville. i know it's super vegan friendly and my SIL and her boyfriend are vegetarian and have their own vegan meats company so im sure they have lots of places to take us but what are the DONT MISS places to eat, drink local craft beer (doesnt have to be vegan, it's my husband who likes the craft beer), and things to do.

we like outdoorsy hiking stuff and touristy site seeing stuff. we will have our daughter with us who will be uhhh....i think 17-18 months by then

we will be flying in and out of Charlotte probably since it's much cheaper and probably visiting another sibling there if there's any MUST DOs in Charlotte.

Post subject: Re: Asheville
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:19 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

When are you heading this way?

Either way, must eats:
1) Plant
2) Rosettas
3) The Hop (handmade vegan ice cream!!)
4) Laughing Seed (it is @ the bottom of my veg foods list, but it IS upstairs and connected to one of the breweries, so you can get the veggie foods to bring down to the bar)

Other good food, but not just veg: Chai Pani- indian street food stylie and Nine Mile (Jamaican food). Most places aree at least familiar with vegan food and leave you with a few good choices. Even the BBQ places usually havea BBQ tempeh, even if the sides annoyingly have bacon in them.
So many beers I don't even know how to start.

I can hook ya up with hikes, etc, as I am a park ranger here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:22 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

ps- I have had their not-meat stuff @ a little hot dog stand! Wahooo!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we'll be going in either September or October. we havent nailed down a time yet.
my SIL works at Plant so im sure we will go there! yum!

handmade vegan ice cream sounds amazing!

i want to see the Great Smoky Mountains. is Asheville in them or do we have to go further west?
i havent looked at a map yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

lycophyte wrote:
ps- I have had their not-meat stuff @ a little hot dog stand! Wahooo!

yay! was it yummy? i havent had it yet unless you count several years ago at thanksgiving when she was trying different recipes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Okay! I'm officially going to be in Asheville from March 15 to 19. I'll be visiting a friend, so I dunno how likely a meetup is, but what are the musts?

I'm super into music (and so is he), so we'll probably be out doing when we can. And I like beer (so does he) so I'll be trying some of the local stuff.

What about good coffee? He says there isn't much good coffee in Asheville, but I live (and he lived) in the land of independent roasters in every neighborhood and a coffee shop (or three) on every block.

I really want to do a hike one morning, so, lycophyte, I'd love a suggestion if you have some! I'll only have my trail runners, so something not too rocky/switchbacked or high in elevation and 6 miles or so round trip would be preferred (I have no idea what my friend's ability level is).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:13 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Hokay, so, your friend is either uninformed or a liar re: the coffee. There are two great roasters around here: Bean Werks, in West Asheville, is my favorite (www.beanwerkscoffeecompany.com). Dynamite, in Black Mountain (about twenty minutes east of Asheville) is also really good (http://www.dynamiteroasting.com/). As far as actual coffee shops go, my favorites are Double D's and Izzy's (both downtown); Odd's Cafe, Waking Life, and Battlecat (the latter three in West Asheville). Odd's and Waking Life always have quite a few vegan desserts.

As for music. . . check out who's playing at the Orange Peel, Grey Eagle, and Odditorium while you're here. I really love Harvest Records (record store in West Asheville) and Static Age (record store downtown, sometimes pretty decent bands play there, too).

Soooo many breweries around here. I'm not a beer fan but lycophyte may have some suggestions about her faves. If you like cider, Urban Orchard cidery (also in West Asheville) has some really good ciders, and is a nice, chill place to hang out.

For food. . . Rosetta's Kitchen is the bomb (also open late, and really reasonably priced). The Hop (two locations, one in North Asheville, and one in West Asheville) for vegan ice cream. The French Broad Chocolate Lounge also is a must. . . they have a few flavors of house-made vegan ice cream, as well as quite a few house made vegan truffle offerings. Also a really nice hang-out space.

Enjoy your visit!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:51 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

When will you be here? Because the high elevations are still snowy, hiking suggestions will have to be changeable. I can make suggestions in the closer days.

Depending on other foods you might like- my favorite place is 9 Mile, which has Jamaican foods.

The most interesting beer place is Wicked Weed- they seem to have the most creative beers around here, but a lot of the bars will have many of the local brews on tap, so you can try the normal good beers that way or at the brewery.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:10 am 

A few other recommendations that I forgot. . .

Katuah Market is a rad grocery store. The hot bar has really tasty vegan options, and there are a plethora of vegan baked goods in the cafe. It's just about a ten-minute drive from one of the Parkway entrances, so could be a good place to stock up on snackage pre-hike, or grab some grub post-hike.

Shameless plug: The restaurant where I work, Doc Chey's (downtown) has a lot of vegan options and is really reasonably priced for the amount/quality of food. It's also located near some cool stuff. . . downtown in general, and it's right across the street from Blue Spiral (an art gallery that's free to peruse and usually has some interesting pieces), and the Fine Arts Theatre (rad theatre that shows some indie and foreign films. . . FYI, all screenings are just five dollars on Tuesday).

I agree with lycophyte about Nine Mile. . . super delicious.

The ZaPow! gallery (downtown) is incredibly cool. It's an illustration gallery with some really talented folks showing their stuff. Chai Pani (Indian-ish restaurant that's across the street from ZaPow! is also a really good restaurant choice).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Aaah! Great suggestions, thank you!

lycophyte, I'll be arriving the 15th and leaving the 19th, so pretty soon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:54 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Just a few more days!

So I'm definitely going to ZaPow!, Riverside Cemetery, Black College Museum (someone tell me this is as cool as it sounds), and the pinball museum. We're doing a hike one day (I haven't decided on one yet) and he rented a cabin somewhere for a night. So I think I have everything set. The evenings will be filled with music and beer.

The more I Googled, the more excited I got about Asheville.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:01 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

My cousin, who lives elsewhere has demanded that I go to the pinball museum.

It is going to be cut very close as to whether the high elevations of the Parkway will be accessible. They are not yet, but you can go to Mt Mitchell from the north. It may still open by then, though! SO CLOSE!
Lily! I didn't know you are at Doc Cheys now! I haven't been there recently enough!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:17 am 

lycophyte wrote:
Lily! I didn't know you are at Doc Cheys now! I haven't been there recently enough!

Come visit sometime! I almost always work nights on Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. And Saturday lunchtime. Also send me a FB message if you want to hang out sometime (Pinball Museum perhaps? I've been wanting to go since I heard about it, but haven't made it there yet).

Hope you have a rad time, missd!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

lycophyte wrote:
My cousin, who lives elsewhere has demanded that I go to the pinball museum.

It is going to be cut very close as to whether the high elevations of the Parkway will be accessible. They are not yet, but you can go to Mt Mitchell from the north. It may still open by then, though! SO CLOSE!

I was actually looking at Mount Mitchell (Deep Gap trail) or Grandfather Mountain?

I dunno if I'm bad at Google or if it's really difficult to find hiking resources for North Carolina (or I'm supremely spoiled with the Washington Trails Association), but I'm having a hell of a time researching this.

The Grandfather Mountain trail concerns me due to it apparently having ladders? and if those are icy, neither myself nor my friend will be prepared. The view from the bridge just looks so stunning that I'm loathe to pass it up if it's possible.

And from what I can tell, both mountains have pretty good weather forecasts on Monday and Wednesday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:47 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Grandfather Mountain is pretty far from Asheville, it would take almost 2 hours to get there though you certainly can. The drive up to Mt Mitchell is currently only open from the north, but a lot of our great southern hikes have just been opened up today! Mt Mitchell may open from Asheville by then.
http://www.romanticasheville.com/hiking.html
http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/pisg ... al-forest/

My favorite hike is Black Balsam Knob and Sam's Knob, Flat Laurel Creek trail loop.
http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/pisg ... ck-balsam/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:49 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

There is also a Big Butt trail. You can haul your Big Butt to Point Misery.

In case that is something you like. :p

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thank you so much lycophyte! That trail looks LOVELY and if I come back, it'll be on my list.
We're actually staying overnight near Grandfather Mountain, so we're going to do that. It all seems to work out okay, but it does mean I'll only spend two full days in Asheville (and then one evening), which is okay by me. I'd rather be outdoors and in the mountains, anyway.

I can't believe I'll be in Asheville in 24 hours. It's blowing my mind a little.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:07 am 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

The Parkway is open north of Asheville now, towards Mt Mitchell. So, you can take the Parkway to get to Grandfather, if you want!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We hiked it! It was really fun- we went to Mcrae (I think?) peak, since we didn't get to the park until noon. There was this group of girls in front of us and I overheard them as they stopped to let us pass, "Oh, my God. Stop! They're EXPERIENCED hikers." (The sign says "Experienced hikers only" at the trailhead). It was really funny. The trail was more like an adventure path, which was really cool (with the ladders and rock faces and stuff- I'm not used to that). I didn't anticipate paying so much to get into the park- our annual passes are less than what we paid. Woo, that was a shock.

Overall, I really liked Asheville! You have really cool bookstores! I wasn't expecting that, for some reason. Malaprops was awesome, and there was another I loved (I can't remember the name, but it's kind of winding and has a coffee shop near the front door?).
We stayed overnight in Banner Elk and that was nice, too! We also went up to Max Patch one day and that was probably my favorite view of the whole trip.

I should probably visit when the trees aren't all dead, because I was really putt off by it (being used to having deep green trees and thick grass year round here). Everyone says NC is gorgeous, and I feel like I missed out on something spectacular.

I took the coffee recommendations: Izzy's, another just two blocks down from it that I liked quite a lot, and he works at Odd's so I went there, too. I guess I get where he's coming from: the coffee, while it was good, was really sweet! I just drink black coffee, but it always tasted like someone had added a sugar to it!
In fact, the beers I tried were sweeter than I'm used to, too! Maybe it's a regional thing, but it was really strange. Not bad, just...unexpected.

I went to ZaPow! and it was awesome. We ended up going to a place called Bywater, which may be one of the coolest bars I've been to, with the ability to hang out by the river. Also managed to get some chocolates (Thai and Strawberry balsamic. Mmmm), eat at Rosetta's (this was bomb), Green Sage (?) Cafe (also super good), and I can't even remember now. I did eat some ice cream at The Hop and it was good, too!

I am so glad the weather was basically perfect the whole time I was there.

Overall, I have decided 8/10! It ties with San Francisco and Chicago on my list of cities I like. Next time I come out there, I will definitely want to have a meet up.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:04 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

HEY GUYS.

I'm going to be spending my summer in Asheville!
Approximately June 20 - August 20!

I'd love to meet you guys!

If you have any heads up on sublets/rentals for the summer that allow well trained and behaved dogs that aren't too expensive, I'd love to know! I'm okay to rent just a room if need be.

And, not gonna lie, if I can find some part time work during that time (I have tons of retail, administrative, and customer service experience), I'd love some ideas of where to look for that. Though I totally get that even for seasonal work, my dates are pretty slim, so I'm not holding out hope.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:10 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Ok, I mentioned in the other thread that we were talking about renting out one of the rooms in the house I live in...she does have a dog though. Generally Zoeby gets along with other dogs, but if the other dog gets aggressive, she may be too stressed for it to work out. We dog sat one time, the dog got mean and they fought a little and then she spent the whole weekend hiding out.

So, the biggest if might be if they don't get along.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My dog is the least aggressive dog I've ever met. She's so shy and she takes a really long time to warm up even to be pet. I could never see her getting aggressive with another animal!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hey all!

I mentioned in the foyer, but I have officially found a place to stay for the summer. I'd love to have a meet up in early July / late June if there's a free date! I am super duper totally open, and I arrive on June 22. I'm also down to do anything - I like hiking, I like beer, I like food, I love swimming, art is cool, music is awesome...

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just moved here too and would LOVE a meetup!

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:30 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

takecare, I know it's a few weeks out, but I'd love to meet up when I get there! Any evening or weekend or afternoon works for me, and I'm down for food or drinks or whatever. I do have plans June 24 (Charlie Parr is playing at the Grey Eagle; if you're into acoustic folk/blues, look him up! Maybe join me if its your thing! I love to dance like a fool.) but that's my only plan.