| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Calgary AB Canada?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:13 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Found Daiya shreds and wedges at the Safeway in Kensington today!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:02 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Robynn wrote:
Found Daiya shreds and wedges at the Safeway in Kensington today!

Found both at my safeway in Marda Loop too! Yay!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:59 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Hello! New to ppk (and veganism) but old to Calgary!

I just wanted to add a shout-out to Avatara pizza! http://www.avatarapizza.com/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:33 pm 

Cimanim wrote:
Hello! New to ppk (and veganism) but old to Calgary!

I just wanted to add a shout-out to Avatara pizza! http://www.avatarapizza.com/

I had the vegan pizza one day here when they parked outside my work! It was delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:36 pm 

OMG!! So me and a friend went out for drinks a couple nights ago, and decided to try out a new pub in Kensington and what a find! We went to the Oak Tree Tavern, and while their on tap menu was pathethic (bottled selection was good though), they have vegan chili and a vegan burger listed on the menu (listed as vegan), and their deep fried pickles are also vegan (I has the waitnress check with the chef)!!!! They also have a hummus appetizer on the menu, and the salads sounded pretty good too (although I don't usually associate pub food with salad). Mmmm chili fries and vegan burger with deep fried pickles (too bad I had dinner before I went out)! Check them out!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:59 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hi Calgary , I'm in you for the next week and a half. Anyone got any tips for an out of towner? I've eaten at the Coop a few times and find it kinda pricey for what it is but maybe I'm spoiled with cheap food options in Montreal.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:11 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Montreal is cheap?! Wow. Don't ever come to Vancouver then. :)

I like Open Sesame on Macleod Trail. It's pretty basic, but everything is clearly marked and you can put together an awesome vegan stir-fry suited to your preferences. I also like Marathon Ethiopian, and you can find a number of great Vietnamese hole-in-the-walls with cheap veganizable banh mi and other delights.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:02 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I've had pretty good luck finding cheaps eats in Van , I guess having local vegan pals is a huge advantage. I don't know anyone in Calgary so am relying on Happy Cow and friends of friends who are all "OMG you are vegan , the Coop is the best!".

Huge fan of Ethiopian and Vietnamese , will investigate.Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:00 pm 

Marathon is great (much better than Blue Nile which is just down the street). I really like the food at Gratitude, but the service can be pretty terrible. Dairy Lane is one of my favourite vegan places in Calgary (they have a vegan burger, scramble, soup, etc) and is relatively affordable, especially considering the big portions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:55 am 
Nailed to the V

:) Y'all live so close to me. (or you travel very far to get to Kensington).

The Safeway at Lion's Park (two stops past Kensington) is selling Peanut Butter and Co's peanut butter! (Dark Chocolate, Cinnamon Raisin and White Chocolate). All 3 ended up home with me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:09 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

You can get coconut yogurt and almond yogurt at Superstore now! The price seems to be about the same as CNF though.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:05 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I went to Famoso yesterday and it was really great! Beer was expensive, but that's okay. I'm debating grabbing a pizza, saving it for a day and eating it on the bus back home tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:12 am 

I know this is just me being an excited out-of-towner but I went to the Coup for the first time in about a year last night and it was insanely delicious. We started with the eggplant sleeping bags (cute!), and even though I was super skeptical about chilled eggplant, they were amazing. Filled with perfectly spicy cashew cheese filling. I also had the tempeh buffalo wings with a special vegan sauce they made for me with the miso tahini/agave/hot sauce, and the komodo salad. I went on a tempeh binge because Victoria's one tempeh maker has gone seriously downhill. My mum got the special which was a chipotle stew (vegan) served with a non-vegan cheese scone that she raved about, and my dad got the (I think non-vegan) veggie burger.

I always forget how much cheaper Alberta is than BC. $7 for a massive pour of organic vegan wine? Yes, please!

Y'all are lucky.

Oh and I went to the Community Natural Foods store off of Macleod for the first time, and that is a damn fine store. Good prices on vitamins, awesome staff, etc...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:27 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Moti Mahal, while not a vegan restaurant, is delicious Indian food and has many vegan dishes. It's pretty well marked on the menu as to what contains cream. They don't cook with ghee and as long as you order the roti if you want bread as the nan has dairy in it you're good. They have a location just off 17th avenue SW near the american apparel and the tubby dog or there's one in the far south in Midnapore as well. If you're going to the 17th ave location make a reservation.

I agree that gratitude (in kensington) has good food but abysmal service. If you go in expecting rude service you'll enjoy the food for what it is though.

If you want to be lazy and stay in your hotel and order pizza Panago has a good allergen list online that lists dairy and eggs so it's very possible to get vegan pizza from them.

Buddha's Fusion (formerly Buddha's Veggie) just north of Chinook on Macleod Trail is really good Chinese food and a large vegan menu. Lots of fake meats and fried things but delicious. They do cook meat now as well but they use different fryers/utensils. If you go there get the veggie dry ribs. They're amazing. I often drive past there and make a pick up order of just the ribs on my way home from the climbing gym.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:19 pm 
Tofu Pup

Eudemonia wrote:

Buddha's Fusion (formerly Buddha's Veggie) just north of Chinook on Macleod Trail is really good Chinese food and a large vegan menu. Lots of fake meats and fried things but delicious. They do cook meat now as well but they use different fryers/utensils. If you go there get the veggie dry ribs. They're amazing. I often drive past there and make a pick up order of just the ribs on my way home from the climbing gym.

Make sure the spare ribs are spicy. The ginger beef is also on my must order list along with the green beans in black bean sauce. There are definitely a couple duds on the menu but overall my experiences have been delicious grease-fests.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:26 am 

Quick! Where do my boyfriend and I eat in Calgary tonight? My annual holiday visit to the Coup is a bust because they are closed Mondays. And a lot of places seem to be closed Mondays. Bonus if it is enroute from the South towards the airport. Thanks!

ETA...it is NYE, so I would like a place where I can order a drink.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:39 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Don't know if it's too late but the Cactus Club has a really good veggie fajita dish and is really close to the airport. Joey Tomatoes has a few dishes that are easy to veganiz and is close to the airport too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:51 am 

We ended up getting take-out from Buddha's Fusion. Everything except the spicy veggie ribs was disgusting, and we both felt ill on the plane. :( And holy crepe, it was expensive! I remember getting something good at Joey Tomatoes once. Thanks for the tips!

Oh yeah, the Joey on Broadway in Vancouver does vegan tacos and lettuce wraps with soy protein. As lack luster as "soy protein" sounded, I remember enjoying the lettuce wraps. Damn, we should have gone there.

ETA: If any of you are ever in Lethbridge for any crazy reason (wind tourists? Bridge enthusiasts?), Georgio's on third avenue S will happily make you a fantastic vegan meal with a little warning. There's nowhere else I've ever eaten in the 'bridge that will actually make something vegan that tastes good and has substance, except maybe the Ethiopian restaurant, but they've changed hands and have been "out of veggies" every time I've been there (potato, cabbage, and spinach are not hard to procure!), so you'll get a disappointingly mildly spiced plate of lentils on injera made from wheat flour. Still better than you'd expect from eating out in Deathbridge, but not super delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:02 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Hi Calgary vegans:)
Every year Maggie Muggins and I organize the worldwide vegan bakesale and we have set this years date to be April 20th. If anyone is interested in helping out and meeting some Calgary vegans feel free to contact us. Or search the bakesale on facebook.
Hope to meet some more of you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Here's the Facebook event page!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:22 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Hey Calgary! I'm coming to you from March 25th to May 3rd for school. I am placed at New Heights Learning Service, which is a school for children with autism spectrum disorder. Does anyone have a spare room or know someone who does? The location is 4041 Breskens Dr SW and I would need to be able to get there by bus or foot because I do not drive. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Almiratanner
I already replied to you on the Calgary vegan/vegetarian facebook group but the offer still stands if you can't find anything. If I hear of something closer to you I will message!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Okay Calgary, I am coming! (From April 2 - May 10, so not for a while, but still...). I have a place to stay near the Dalhousie area (?). Anyway, I'm already excited for the bake sales. What else is a must? And does anyone want to meet up to go to these places?!?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:17 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm not sure if there's any new places up north as I live in the far south, I know they're opening a Community Natural Foods in Crownfoot soon! Your first stop should be The Coup....and then Tutti Frutti for some frozen yogurt :) If you want to do a meet-up sometime let us know and we'll organize something!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I tried to go to the Coup, but it was closed so I had a burger from the Oak Tree Tavern (yum!). Also hit up tutti frutti and even got seconds, haha. I'd be down for a meetup. I'm basically free every evenings and on weekends as I work 8-4 and don't really know anyone here. Looking forward to the bakesale!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next