| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying vegan supplements in Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:44 am 
Tofu Pup

I live in a smallish town in the Ottawa Valley (Petawawa). I've recently converted to a vegan diet (working towards eliminating the use of animal products in other aspects of my life).

I've spent the last month exploring and discovering the different options that are available to me locally when it comes to finding vegan foods/supplements/products. I am finding some great nearby resources e.g. local natural food store, but I've been having a hard time finding vegan supplements.

I'm looking for a little help from my fellow Canadians here! Where can I buy vegan supplements? I would prefer to order online but would also love to know about any stores in Ottawa and/or Toronto that carry vegan supplements and products. I'm two hours outside of Ottawa and manage to get there every couple of months. Toronto's a little further but I have family there, so try to visit a couple times a year.

Any help would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Buying vegan supplements in Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I order my stuff online at iHerb.com. I think it's a US site, but they have really reasonable prices on tons of vegan stuff, good shipping rates and I've never been dinged with customs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks paprikapapaya! I actually just stumbled upon iHerb.com this morning but wasn't sure about ordering without knowing much about the site. It helps to know someone who uses it. I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Thanks! I was looking for a place that sells vegan d3 and wasn't having much luck in Toronto. I see iHerb has it.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:33 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I order all my supplements from Thrifty Vegan, it's reasonably priced but they only sell Deva brand, which is great for me since that's what I use anyway. Plus there's free shipping in Canada.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:47 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hey Ottawa Valley Vegan, I am a former Petawawa resident. It's definitely not the easiest place to be vegan (especially for eating out), but we managed. My trips to Ottawa were my saving grace. The best place I found there for supplies was "Rainbow Foods". It's a really big health food/grocery store and has a large supplement section, but I don't remember what they had for vegan supplements. It's on Richmond rd in the west end so I would always stop there on the way home.
http://www.rainbowfoods.net/retailer/st ... 759A610C92
Did you find the supplement/health food store in Pembroke near the mall? They were pretty good for some supplies. I often found myself doing groceries in Deep river as they had a larger selection of international foods. There was also a tiny health food store there right in the centre of town.
If you plan on going to Ottawa, check out PunkOttawa's site for places to eat and shop: http://www.punkottawa.com/aroundottawa/ ... ndex.shtml
If you have time, plan a trip to T&T food market in Ottawa (also in Toronto) for fun. They have a gigantic selection of everything asian.
Can't think of anything else right now. Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

Perfect! Thanks for the details von m - I wasn't expecting to meet someone (formerly) local here, but this is exactly what I'm looking for.

I haven't been to the health food store by the Pembroke mall yet but will check it out. There's a fairly new health food store closer to downtown Pembroke, Kasha Natural Foods, which is a little closer for me and seems to have a growing selection. Restaurant options are still pretty limited, with the exception of Madameek's (delicious Lebanese food!) which now have locations in both Petawawa and Pembroke.

I have been to the health food store and grocery store in Deep River (it's too bad we don't have a similar selection in Pet).

Great list on punkottawa.com. My mouth is watering just reading through the restaurant descriptions. I spent about six years in Ottawa so have tried a handful of them (not a vegan at the time). Now I've got a lot of new places to try out on my next trips.

T&T is already on my radar but I hadn't heard of Rainbow Foods.

So helpful! As I mentioned, I'm very new to the vegan world and don't know any vegans or vegetarians in the area...yet. So glad to have a place here where I can meat like minded people and ask a million questions :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

How could I forget to mention the "Bulk Barn". It's a great place to stock up on everything. They even have nutritional yeast!

Eating out vegan in that area is the only difficulty really. There isn't much choice. Nice to hear there's a lebanese food place now. The only place we would eat out at was the asian restaurant in Pembroke, and when desperate Kelsey's.

If you're new to veganism, you might not know about Happy cow http://www.happycow.net/ It will help you find restaurants and supplies when travelling.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:25 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Maggie Muggins wrote:
I order all my supplements from Thrifty Vegan, it's reasonably priced but they only sell Deva brand, which is great for me since that's what I use anyway. Plus there's free shipping in Canada.

I think you were the one who directed me to that site, and it's great! Awesome customer service and the prices are very fair.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:49 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't come across iherb before.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:16 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I have ordered from nationalnutrition.ca but they are not a dedicated vegan store so they might not have what you are looking for. Luckily for me, they had what I wanted (vegan glutamine) at a reasonable price and I think the shipping was free on orders over $69 or something. Otherwise, I have just ordered from Vegan Essentials.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:16 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

vitamart.ca is awesome
Super fast turnaround and great prices on products from Vega and Sisu.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:30 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I've ordered a few times from well.ca. They clearly mark vegan products which is nice and there's free shipping if you spend a certain amount (I forget what the amount is).

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:17 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I have also bought from well.ca. The minimum for free shipping is $25. I even got some Earth Balance Creamy Coconut & Peanut Spread.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/KnitsByNatDesigns