| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nova Scotia
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:00 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Arisaig wrote:
I was at Pete's today at lunchtime for my mid-week mid-day stock up and found Field Roast celebration roast in the freezer. They have the field roast hotdogs too. I am not really big on meat like products but I bought a roast and will try it out this weekend. I am always hoping there might be something my kids will voluntarily eat. They are $10, but I figure there are at least four of my size servings in it so not too bad for an occasional luxury.

I am not a fan of Tofurkey roast so I hope this is better.

The best thing there, though, were beautiful big new garlic heads, and the avocados are 99 cents.

I'll have to check those out! I'm not big on meat like products either, but I've been wanting to try Field Roast forever.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

HEY!
I'm from Nova Scotia too! AND I'm vegan! :D
I'm technically in the HRM, but I'm about an hour away from downtown. I'm so excited to find this forum... and excited to hear about Pete's having Field Roasts! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:06 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Hi GuruMike! I tried the field roast and I know it tastes fantastic to some people but I have to finally admit that I do not really like seitan or most meat-like products. I have tried many. Similar to the Tofurkey roast, there is something in the Field Roast that I do not like the taste of, and I burp for hours after I eat it.

I do like Yves ham and hotdogs and chick'n burgers, as well as the Gardein chicken nuggets.

I will happily stick to beans, lentils, tofu and (occasionally) tempeh.

Something I discovered recently is that both Superstore and Sobeys brand refried beans are vegan and cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:57 pm 

Arisaig wrote:

Something I discovered recently is that both Superstore and Sobeys brand refried beans are vegan and cheap.

Good to know, Arisaig! I will definitely check those out. I love Amy's Organic refried beans but they get expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:58 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Does anyone know if there is a prepared pie crust available that is vegan? It seems to me that all of the ones I have checked have animal fat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:54 pm 

The Keebler graham cracker crusts are! I've never bought them, so I'm not sure where you can buy them, but my friend made a pie with them for a vegan potluck once.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:30 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks VM. I have used those before - I much prefer pies made with graham or cookie crusts. I am still looking for a pastry crust that doesn't have animal fat. I can and do make my own (not my favourite thing) but it would be nice to be able to buy one in a pinch.

I have to finally admit I do not like packaged seitan products very much. Every one I have tried has an off taste to me, a flavour that repeats unpleasantly over the next few hours. I like some home made seitans. The Celebration Roast looked nice and it is convenient and the stuffing is tasty but I did not like the meat part much.

Does anyone know where to find powdered vegetable broth? I used to buy the round tub (okay, cylindrical for all you geometry sticklers) at Planet Organic and they also stocked it at Pete's but it is completely gone from both places - not just out of stock but no longer stocked. I can't remember the brand name but the label was green. I love that stuff and Sanctuary dressing does not taste the same without it. Even if I can get another powdered vegetable broth mix I would be happy. It's also very convenient when you just need a small amount of broth at a time.

I tried the new Daiya cheddar slices - got them at Barrington Superstore. They were on sale for I think $3.79. They are convenient and tasty but a little too sweet. I bought them to take camping with me last weekend and tried them both in a grilled cheese and with Yves veggie dogs in a bun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:54 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I did manage to find some broth powder at a grocery store (forget which one) in the bouillion cube/spice section. I haven't tried it yet though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:37 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

HI, We are a vegan family of three, expecting a fourth member, living in Dartmouth. Just wanted to introduce myself to the fellow NS folk here. We enjoyed brunch at the Wild Leek this past week, what a great meal! We were both full and satisfied. They just announced that they will be opening for dinner soon, so im super excited. EnVie is also an awesome spot for really good vegan food, more for special occasions though due to thre prices, but the food is well worth it. Any feedback on Marys Place? I was wondering about vegan breakfast options.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:00 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Hi guys! I'm bridesmaidin' at a beach wedding north of Halifax (I've been staring at a map of Nova Scotia for like an hour, I'm a bit obsessed), and though we only have a week, my husband and I are dying to pack in as much as we can. We are actually talking to a potential employer and dreaming about moving there...so I can't stop thinking about moving. It looks like this job would be in a town of 300 people about 79 kilometres from Halifax, which I am totally okay with, because I'm over living somewhere just for its vegan options and I just want to enjoy the rural life. But barring the potential move, what should we pack in when we are around Halifax this summer? We like traditional live music, breweries, hiking, eating, and history. We'll probably be renting a car so we can pack as much as we can into our days, though if anyone has recommendations about other transportation options that's great too. We probably will only go out for a couple of meals in Halifax, so where must we absolutely go? We are more into a good bottle of wine and really amazingly unique food (rich in a sesame oil/spicy way rather than a smothered in Daiya sandwich way) than raw taco meat and a green smoothie, if you know what I'm saying. Thanks! I think we'll be staying in a rural cabin setting and the wedding is vegan so I'm not at all concerned about eating in the boonies. This might be my only trip this year so I'm going to plan the shiitake out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:02 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Well, depends on when you're going to be here but there is usually a ton of cool stuff happening here in the summer. The waterfront is often full of music and wonderful fun all summer long, in August the buskers festival is fun for sure. The waterfront has all kinds of really cool little shops too, worth a day of just wandering around. Lunenburg has The Ovens, a really cool spot with trails and sea caves to be explored via zodiac boat. The Seaport farmers market is worth the trip as well, lots of local artisans and great food at Fruition and the raw chocolate lady are my faves. Eating eating out try EnVie and The Wild Leek. .... Awesome happiness! Plus there is a farm animal sanctuary in the valley if that's your kind of thing, I could get the name. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your trip!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:28 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

theque wrote:
Has anyone been to Cabot Shores near Englishtown in Cape Breton?
http://www.cabotshores.com/cabot-shores-bistro

To think that you can have seitan in Cape Breton is incredible. I didn't have enough time to go there this time but has anyone been?

Not sure how I stumbled across this but I was traveling the Atlantic Provinces last summer on my motorcycle and I camped there for a few days.
It was a beautiful place, friendly staff and I was glad I stayed there. Thought the vegan food options were less than impressive. The breakfast which was like $10 was fruit and a small apple compote cobbler. The one dinner I bought was more or less just a plain pasta in sauce.
As a retreat it was great, but not for the food.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:03 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

lilbear wrote:
HI, We are a vegan family of three, expecting a fourth member, living in Dartmouth. Just wanted to introduce myself to the fellow NS folk here.

Hi lilbear, I have a suspicion that our kids know each other. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

vijita, is your potential job at a winery/cidery? (What the heck are cider production places called anyway?). There are so many beautiful places to live in NS if you can find a job or otherwise afford it and nowhere on the mainland is very far from Halifax or airport. If you are going to be near the Annapolis Valley you should go to Blomidon park https://www.novascotiaparks.ca/parks/blomidon.asp

I find just driving along the old highways, the ones that hug the shore or go through farmland, is amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:30 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Arisaig wrote:
lilbear wrote:
HI, We are a vegan family of three, expecting a fourth member, living in Dartmouth. Just wanted to introduce myself to the fellow NS folk here.

Hi lilbear, I have a suspicion that our kids know each other. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Ha! Isnt that interesting, I will have to PM you to figure that out. Thank you for the congrats...we are very excited!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:32 pm 

So if were to live in between New Ross and the Annapolis Valley, are there any stores within a 30 minute drive where I can get vegan stuff? I don't need cheese or soy yogurt, just stuff like tofu and hopefully nooch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:19 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

vijita, any Superstore or Sobeys I have been in in the province has had the basics like tofu and nooch. I would guess that the ones in Kentville would have lots more than that - comparable to the city - because of the university and large population. Yves & tofurkey products, Daiya, various tofus, frozen meals/pizzas/gardein, etc. I have never been to the Farmer's market in the valley but I would think in the summer it would be overflowing with not just fruit & veg but loads of great stuff from the area.

There is a company in Grand Pre (just outside Wolfville) call Acadiana Soy Products that has been making really good organic tofu for years, so that should be easy to get. The California Herb is my favourite in a scramble.

Oh yeah, there's also a Bulk Barn in New Minas I think. Lots of good stuff there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:23 pm 

Sweet, thanks!!! I am getting super excited as this move becomes more plausible.I was thinking Wolfville/Kentville would be nice for us, but there is still a possibility that my job might take me into Halifax often, which would take us to the East side of the peninsula. None of it seems very far (I'm from the prairies and I commuted 2 & 1/2 hours to work there and back one summer), but I am aware of less than ideal weather conditions and a shared vehicle. That and the environment.

Real estate throughout the province (except Halifax) is AMAZING. Like mansions on multiple acres on a lake or river for a mortgage payment of MUCH less of what we are paying for rent on our tiny condo in a Victoria suburb. What!

Also everyone we have been consulting with for jobs/homes on your side has been so kind and helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:19 am 

It's official! We are in the process of buying a house in Wolfville. I am moving to Nova Scotia in May!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

That's great vijita! i hope you and hubby are going to love it here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:09 pm 
Inflexitarian

Wolfville is so lovely! Congratulations on your move!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:01 am 

THANKS! So a week today I will be settled (well not settled, but inhabiting) my new house in Wolfville!

My b-day is June 2nd, which is also my first day of work. But I really want to go for a nice meal. The place we wanted to go to in Wolfville (Front and Central) is closed Mondays, so we are going to go in to Halifax. Where should we go?! I was thinking EnVie, but they are closed Mondays too! Please advise.

Wild Leek is closed too. Is everything closed on Mondays in NS except my workplace?!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:20 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Heartwood! http://iloveheartwood.ca/ "We are open seven days a week. Monday-Friday 11:00am-10:00pm"

Good luck settling in! What a great time to move to the Valley, everything is getting so lush and green.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:45 am 

Ahh, perfect! Thank you!

Do you live in the valley?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:02 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Nope, in the big city. I actually live in Dartmouth and work in downtown Halifax, a quick ferry/bus ride across.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:46 pm 
Inflexitarian

Vijita, The Wooden Monkey is also quite good--and open Mondays. Not all vegan, but ample options and a nice atmosphere.

Heartwood has terrific desserts and bowls and a bit more casual atmosphere.

Happy early birthday!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next