| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nova Scotia
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:58 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Ugh, you GUYS! Wolfville is the best!!! I love it so much here. It's insanely gorgeous and everything is just so charming, refreshing, and wonderful. I feel so lucky!

So do you guys meet up ever? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:18 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm glad you like Wolfville - it would be pretty bad to move across the country and hate the place you live, but it's hard to imagine someone hating the Annapolis Valley.

I don't think we've ever had a PPK meetup but the vegetarian and vegan Facebook groups sometimes meet at a restaurant or for a pot luck. I've never been to one though, so I don't know how they are (my time is quite restricted by my family and work).

Have you been to the farmer's market in Wolfville? I've never been but I hear it's nice. There is no shortage of great fresh food in the Valley. I had local asparagus on the weekend and it was sensational! I can't wait for the strawberries - soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:17 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

There were meetups back in the days of the old board! I met up with J-Dub and AmandaMelanie at the Wooden Monkey quite a long time ago and we ate chocolate pie.

Vijita, you have to go to the 2014 Gaspereau Press wayzgoose.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:38 pm 

molasses jane wrote:
There were meetups back in the days of the old board! I met up with J-Dub and AmandaMelanie at the Wooden Monkey quite a long time ago and we ate chocolate pie.

Vijita, you have to go to the 2014 Gaspereau Press wayzgoose.

GASP! Do I ever! That sounds incredible.

Well, if anyone has the time or want to meet-up I am happy to come to Halifax or chill in the valley! I have weekends off but am really busy during the week.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:52 pm 

I am loving your amazing province SO MUCH. I have mostly been around Wolfville (home), New Ross (work), and the mindless but necessary "lovely" commercial streets of New Minas, but work has taken me to Halifax three times, Lunenburg (in love), Chester (also in love), Mahone Bay (amazing), and we've taken little trips to some of the other towns in the valley (I love Canning and Port Williams!). It's all been so fun.

As for vegan noms, I've been really impressed with Halifax! I've been to a lot of the craft pubs since that's my business, and there is always something interesting I can eat, even at the Stubborn Goat which is meat central. I worked at the Jazz Fest yesterday and had two meals at the Food Wolf truck. One plate of delicious spicy veggies and rice noodles, and a midnight snack of Korean pancake. We had lunch at WIld Leek and I was incredibly charmed by the experience, food, and the staff, plus their chickpea cheese curds on the delicious poutine are genius. The Wolfville farmer's market has some great finds too, and I am loving my rural friends in New Ross for every gardening tip ever...my tomatoes and kale are so ridiculously healthy.

I feel like we cracked the code for paradise in Canada. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

vijita wrote:
I am loving your amazing province SO MUCH.

You bought a house there! It is YOUR province now too ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:14 am 
Bathes in Braggs

That's right Moon. When great people move here we ought to claim them immediately.

I agree with the impressive local movement. It has exploded here in the past ten years. However, I am sick to death of "local grass-fed sunshine-infused blah blah" meat, as though that makes you a better person. I guess like anything good there is often obnoxious self-congratulations that goes with it for some people.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:08 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Oh I love this post, Vijita! So glad you are loving it!

It's funny though, I lived in NS for years, and was always called a "come from away." I still claim Halifax though as one of my homes. I miss it, and all of NS, dearly, for all the reasons you list.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:01 am 

Still loving it! Remind me of this amazing summer weather when I have been snowed in for months, okay?

We had lunch at Heartwood yesterday (I was impressed!) and I stopped into that store that was once Planet Organic and they have the vegan chicken wings I have only ever found in Chinatown in Vancouver! SO expensive though.

We grabbed Indochine banh mi for dinner (just say no mayo) and that's what I'm talkin' about!

We are really hoping to get up to Cape Breton while it's still nice out.

By the way, Rockbottom Brewpub makes the best beer I've ever tasted. I hadn't tried any local beers I liked until this one blew me away. The only non-vegan one they make is a lacto-ferment (gross, why is this popular?!), and the rest are amazing if you like beer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:24 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Oh guys.. I'm so happy to read this. A goal of a friend and mine is to buy a house together in NS in 2 years. We're both vegan bakers with loads of vegan children. :) She's from there, and I've worked/lived there. We're counting down the days..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:53 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

What's the brand of chicken wing vijita? Is it the one made with mushrooms?

mamatafari, you will love it here. Sooner the better :-)

We had brunch at Tempo last week and they replaced the eggs with marinated tofu in the tomatoes and guacamole on toast dish and it was super delicious. I have eaten there for lunch twice and it was very good - they actually have several vegan choices and are very accommodating for adapting dishes. It's a great place to go with omnis since everyone has numerous choices and the wait staff are terrific.

I missed the Vegfest for a very good reason. I hope it was a good time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:51 pm 

ahhh I had vegan pizza at Piatto and it was AMAZING. Victoria has a VPN certified pizza restaurant too but it is NOT as good as Piatto. They say most people order sans cheese because the marinara is so unbelievably good that you'd be crazy to cover it with cheese. I had mine marinara style with garlic, oregano, and wild mushrooms. Do you know what's also really cool? Piez in Dartmouth. They have a new vegan entree every single day, and a lot of their desserts are vegan (plus you can get cheeseless pizza with awesome crust).

(I am so lucky in that I get to visit all of our keg/wine accounts and taste the vegan offerings!). So many of the craft beer places (Stubborn Goat, Stillwell, Economy, Lion & Bright...) will do vegan food happily.

Airsaig--I'm pretty sure it was mostly soy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:21 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I haven't been to either of those pizza places but now I want to try Piatto - when Gol gets back from Ontario we'll go. Thanks for the recommendation. I have found almost any restaurant in Halifax to be accommodating to vegan requests.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:37 am 

It's so true! I <3 Halifax restaurants. Just give me a damn Ethiopian restaurant though, please. :)

The Hamachi chain is extremely vegan-friendly too, (my colleague used to own it and he takes veganism seriously).

FYI, I found the Earth Balance peanut butter popcorn at Superstore in Dartmouth--crossing my fingers that they eventually get the other newer EB products.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:02 am 
Bathes in Braggs

We ate at Nil Bleu in Montreal last time I was there and it was amazing - both the food and the restaurant. I would love to get that here.

Did you know Organic Earth has Sheese now? I was there yesterday and they were sold out of Soyatoo for pumpkin pie but had about 8 kinds of Sheese. I couldn't resist the bleu. I'm not so keen on the texture but the taste is delicious. It will be good in salads or melted on a burger, yum.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:35 pm 

Arisaig wrote:
We ate at Nil Bleu in Montreal last time I was there and it was amazing - both the food and the restaurant. I would love to get that here.

Did you know Organic Earth has Sheese now? I was there yesterday and they were sold out of Soyatoo for pumpkin pie but had about 8 kinds of Sheese. I couldn't resist the bleu. I'm not so keen on the texture but the taste is delicious. It will be good in salads or melted on a burger, yum.

That's awesome! I quite like it and will pick some up for an escape from shudder Daiyaland.

I decided at the last minute I wanted a Tofurky for Thanksgiving and I couldn't find one anywhere in the valley. :( I called Sobeys and Superstore everywhere. Oh well, side dishes are the best part anyway! I stopped at Pete's for a Field roast but I forgot about Canada's Field Roast-gate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:40 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Arisaig wrote:
mamatafari, you will love it here. Sooner the better :-)

I already love it there. I've lived in Windsor and Halifax. Starting to save money for a down payment.. 2-3 years is my goal..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:28 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh sorry, I missed that. You will love it here again then.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Next August my cousin is getting married in Chester - and I think I'm going to go. So excited! I don't know anything about Chester other than that it's near Halifax, which I've visited before and loved.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:52 pm 

OMG I want to meet you!!!! I take trips to Chester all the time for work. It's beautiful!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:58 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

oh my eldest sister lived in Halifax for bit ... Canada is wonderful ...

homesick Cdn Anne in England

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

vijita wrote:
OMG I want to meet you!!!! I take trips to Chester all the time for work. It's beautiful!

I looked it up on a map and the first thing I saw was Wolfville and I was like Vijita!!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:03 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Chester is lovely and very close to Halifax. I have gone camping near there a few times at Graves Island provincial park - so beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:08 pm 

NS meetup! Come out of hiding you guys! (lobsteriffic/anyone else) you can stay with me! We have a spare bedroom + cats.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:54 am 

Curious--do you locals speak French? I've had to use my extremely rusting French-Immersion-in-Alberta French on a daily basis (just at work) and I'm not doing great at all because though my comprehension (written and verbal) is very good--I'm far too self-conscious speaking and for the most part, writing. I didn't know I'd need it so much here and I'm embarrassed that my French education failed me! I held up fine working for Parks Canada in the west but the Quebecois on the maritimes seem to speak a different French than they even do in Quebec.

Anyway suggestions for a brush-up course that doesn't involve my boss's terrifying father who hates English?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next