| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Charlottetown, PEI
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:52 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Any tips on restaurants? I'll be staying there for a couple of nights in Feb, downtown, near the Gahan House.

Post subject: Re: Charlottetown, PEI
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I just came on here to ask the same question. I am not even sure where I am staying but it is downtown and not in the same hotel as the conference - probably a good thing. I will have a reasonable meal allowance and a car.

Did you find anywhere good, vijita?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:44 am 

Downtown is tiny and so cute! I had to go to pubs because that is my business (I had the pad thai at Gahan that I've had at the location in Halifax, and I don't recommend it--so overpriced but I was tired of just watching my boss eat nachos), and didn't eat anything delicious. However, I saw a bunch of falafel places and sushi. They have a Formosa Tea House (I've never been to the one in Dartmouth so I can't comment).

For fun, I loved Marc's Lounge. There was live music and it was very intimate, people were nice and there was a great vibe--I felt like I wanted to hang out there forever!

From here: http://www.vegpei.com/restaurants.html it looks like the vegan options are mostly of the inexpensive and sushi/Lebanese/Chinese persuasion. Which is good because it's an expensive little city! Have fun and report back--I can't wait to go back to PEI.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:35 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks vijita. I am not sure what to expect socially because I have never been to this conference before - the Maritime Provinces Water and Wastewater Association - but I am hoping to be able to slip out and get a substantial lunch and dinner. I don't have great hopes for the hotel but you never know. I will contact them before I go. Maybe I can get some of the more sane people to go to Marc's Lounge with me :-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:56 am 

I wish I could come with you! :) I went with my boss and I didn't think he would be down for that scene but he loved it, haha. I would have been happy to be there alone because it was mostly about the music. And beer. Gahan beers are vegan, FYI.

What hotel is it? We stayed at the Best Western downtown (clearly also a conference centre) and it was pretty okay. The breakfast buffet (free) had soy milk. I basically just eat a bagel with peanut butter and juice at those types of buffets but they had vegan-looking potatoes and broiled tomatoes. Our rooms had full kitchens though! We hit up Superstore.

Have fun and buy some of my cider, haha! :) We just got listed in PEI.