| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a new city and a new vegan community!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:21 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

After four years in the Eastern Townships, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not really happy here. There is not really a vegan community and what there is is mostly indifferent or the kind of folks who expect things to just happen without any sort of communal effort.

My husband and I are discussing a move in the next couple of years but we're unsure as to where to go.

So here's my question: where would you recommend in Canada that we think about moving to? My husband works in marketing/advertising so a city with those prospects would be great. Our other criteria would be: great public transit, a diversity of eating, good arts scene. We're child-free and not planning on having any ever, so that's not a problem. A big big bonus would be an active positive vegan community that we can be part of.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions...because frankly, I am going crazy here.

Post subject: Re: Looking for a new city and a new vegan community!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:37 pm 
Chip Strong

My husband and I have looked at other places in Canada too - we're not entirely happy where we are but have decided to stay put.

Victoria, BC and London, ON both look they might fit your criteria. I'm not sure about Marketing and Advertising work though. Has your husband been commuting to Montreal for work, or has he found work in his field in Sherbrooke? If so maybe he'd not have any difficulty finding work in smaller cities like the ones I've mentioned.

Hopefully others can give you more information on their cities.

While researching places in which to relocate, Victoria and London appealed to us for reasons that may appeal to you. But we've only visited, and not actually lived in either .

Good luck, I know what it's like to be unhappy with your surroundings.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:27 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Victoria is a fantastic city to live in. I seem to be pulled bi-coastal, so my partner and I have often considered Halifax as well.

My experience is mostly in Alberta and BC, but Kelowna is a pretty nice city, and my friends in Winnipeg LOVE Winnipeg. My sister just moved to London and she loves it.

Vancouver meets all of your criteria but it is insane expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:42 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

My husband does have a very nice job here in Sherbrooke, which is why I haven't said much about my unhappiness here until I had an emotional ketchup burst last week. But he wants me to be happy and if this place ain't doing it, then it's time to reconsider where we reside.

I must admit I have gotten spoiled about being so close to the US border (cheap flights, vegan products in stores I can't find here in Canada, etc.) but he is not unopposed to moving back to somewhere in Ontario--he's originally from Toronto and environs and while ad/marketing work would be easy to find in TO, the COL is super high.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have been absolutely floored by the vegan community in Toronto. I have only lived here for a year, and I already feel so involved and connected. The Toronto Vegetarian Association is fantastic and there are SO MANY events happening. I'm pretty sure every weekend in June I have some veg-focused event. There are a number of active veg social groups (e.g., book club, veggie drinks, a knitting group, restaurant groups, etc.), a veg meetup.com group, a veggie pride parade, a large veg fest in September, numerous vegan restaurants, etc etc.

You are right though, the COL *is* high. If you live in the suburbs it is somewhat cheaper, but you are also less in the thick of the veg community.

I'm not a huge fan of the prairies, but that's me and my preferences, other folks on here like them just fine. :)

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

You know, despite having lived in Canada for four years, I have yet to go to Toronto? And I know next to nothing about where might be an affordable area and my husband doesn't either anymore. He moved to Quebec for work nearly twenty years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My super biased opinion is Vancouver or Victoria, but they are both insanely expensive. I was pleasantly surprised by the vegan community and vegan options in Edmonton, but it's not the most beautiful city in the world and the winters just about killed me.